Calls to ban smoking in condominiums in Thailand

webfact

Just now, canopus1969 said:

If you wish to be so pedantic, I quit a very long time ago and concur with all the reasons stated – next?

I quit a 40 a day red Marlboro habit  20 years ago, but most go back to smoking after a few years. 

he has not done the time yet. next

5 minutes ago, quake said:

I quit a 40 a day red Marlboro habit  20 years ago, but most go back to smoking after a few years. 

he has not done the time yet. next

First congratulations keep it up I know it has not been easy.

My reply was to give an example of someone who like you and me who has given up for a long time and agrees with all the reasons  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

If it really affects you either he has to smoke indoors or you have to close your windows. If people bother others then something should be done. But problem is what is reasonable.

One has to ask one's self, if they banned smoking on airplanes, buses, trains, taxi's, office buildings, cinemas etc etc etc then they are aware that there is a problem, smoking in one's own home of their strata lot is reasonable, providing they keep it contained within their lot, if not, then the only reasonable thing to do is to prohibe them smoking the toxic substances being smoked within the building so that others don't have to inhale what they don't want to inhale, here in Isaan we don't have a choice unfortunately.

Defining the word "reasonable" is tricky as a judge once said to me. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

How about tackling the rampant pollution on our roads,  and just everywhere in Thailand before telling people what to do in the sanctuary of their own homes, what next? don't walk around you home but naked?... 

You can get done for that in Singapore, naked in your home

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

You can get done for that in Singapore, naked in your home

You should hear the complements i get from the neighbors across from my bedroom windows, nothing but wow and good on ya man...

Edited by ezzra
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

In the condo they rent or own people should be allowed to smoke. Common area's its debatable. But to prohibit people from smoking in their own condo is crazy.

Own yes.

Rent. I think landlords are probably in their rights to ban it with leases.

Obviously impossible to enforce until a tenant leaves when smoking damage could probably be detected and fined.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

In the condo they rent or own people should be allowed to smoke. Common area's its debatable. But to prohibit people from smoking in their own condo is crazy.

If only the smoke stayed where it was and did not drift upwards or sideways and cause one to not have to close the balcony doors, or ensure that the seals on the windows were air tight so that the smoke could not seethe through and impact non smokers, then maybe I would agree with you.   During the day I must close my three balcony sliders between 7 am and 8:30 am when my next door neighbor and the neighbor directly below me lights up with their morning coffee.  The same goes for in the evenings between 7pm and 9pm, after they arrive home and light up again.  However, I now the time frames and have adjusted my use of the sliders and windows.  I also use the air purifiers on high during these times so that the air in my condo stays clean.  I have major allergies to cigarrete smoke after growing up in a household with two parents who smoked two packs a day, and when we drove only opened up the little wind wings to flick there ashes out.  

38 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

As can be seen from all the previous comments this is a highly contentious subject......

Apparently now in the UK you can't smoke in a car if you have children in there. ????

Same in the US, see my post above and the last few sentences and you can also understand.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If only the smoke stayed where it was and did not drift upwards or sideways and cause one to not have to close the balcony doors, or ensure that the seals on the windows were air tight so that the smoke could not seethe through and impact non smokers, then maybe I would agree with you.   During the day I must close my three balcony sliders between 7 am and 8:30 am when my next door neighbor and the neighbor directly below me lights up with their morning coffee.  The same goes for in the evenings between 7pm and 9pm, after they arrive home and light up again.  However, I now the time frames and have adjusted my use of the sliders and windows.  I also use the air purifiers on high during these times so that the air in my condo stays clean.  I have major allergies to cigarrete smoke after growing up in a household with two parents who smoked two packs a day, and when we drove only opened up the little wind wings to flick there ashes out.  

Never realized that it was that bad. I dont smoke but lived with smokers (parents and brother). But also never lived in condo's so i will take your word for it. 

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Never realized that it was that bad. I dont smoke but lived with smokers (parents and brother). But also never lived in condo's so i will take your word for it. 

It is the unfortunate aspect, much like living in an apartment in the US where your neighbors can not smoke but smoke outside.  The issue is also the adjoining wall spaces with non concrete walls, as the smoke goes into the wall plugs and into the wall space and then out your wall plugs and plates regardless of the insulation.  Same as if you has a house full of cats and never cleaned up after them and they sprayed, the stench is unbelievable to a non smoker.  I sold my apartment block of 10 units back in the US 10 years ago because the constant refurbishment was cutting into any profit, and taking the tenants to court was an effort in futility as they had no money.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is the unfortunate aspect, much like living in an apartment in the US where your neighbors can not smoke but smoke outside.  The issue is also the adjoining wall spaces with non concrete walls, as the smoke goes into the wall plugs and into the wall space and then out your wall plugs and plates regardless of the insulation.  Same as if you has a house full of cats and never cleaned up after them and they sprayed, the stench is unbelievable to a non smoker.  I sold my apartment block of 10 units back in the US 10 years ago because the constant refurbishment was cutting into any profit, and taking the tenants to court was an effort in futility as they had no money.

what does smoke do.....IT RISES into the atmosphere....does not go sideways.....

3 minutes ago, robblok said:
25 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Expand  

I used to live in a Condo with ground floor open parking. I recall getting to my car and it was covered in ash from cigarettes. 

I was furious - someone on the second floor had either emptied their ash-tray out of the window or had been smoking all night and flicking their ash off the balcony. I dragged the Condo Manager out to take a look. 

Smokers have the reputation of being anti-social, I think its an unfair reputation but it’s one based on a few antisocial tools. The same could be said of ‘anti-smokers’ always complaining at the slightest sniff of tobacco. 

There is a happy middle ground - one where those who smoke do so with consideration of others. Smoking on a balcony seems reasonable, but what if the person next door or above gets the brunt of the passive smoke ?

Smoking inside seems ok, but what if the neighbours can smell it all day long?

Living in a tight community., i.e. in a condo comes with responsibility towards others, not to be noisy or inconsiderate, smoking is included in this responsibility, as is not ‘cooking chillies’ and filling the corridors with the fumes. 

The issue with all of this is that a few have ruined it for the many: I’m sure many smokers never impact or affect others living nearby. But the problem is those who are simply selfish and ignorant of others - regulations have to exist because of the lowest common denominator - the selfish tools, a$$#oles, those who have no consideration for others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

what does smoke do.....IT RISES into the atmosphere....does not go sideways.....

not always, check for yourself. Turn a fan on, let the gentle breeze blow it.  In your house with no windows open the smoke will rise and then fall down the walls, saturating the room is a cloud of smoke.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:
23 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

not always, check for yourself. Turn a fan on, let the gentle breeze blow it.  In your house with no windows open the smoke will rise and then fall down the walls.

tinca tinca didn’t really think very much before he posted that comment. 

Hot smoke rises, but Tobacco smoke cools rapidly, exhaled tobacco smoke tends to ‘hang’ rather than rise, wind then disperses it.

Since smoke is more dense than air, the smoke actually descends when its at the same temperature as the atmosphere. 

24 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

But aren't they encouraging people to smoke pot in the future? 

Also I found a baby would suddenly die if it sucked on a curtain than smelt of smoke.

People have more chance getting seriously ill and dying from the massive amounts of air pollution in the dry season here...the worst in the world. Yet they are more concerned with a neighbour smoking in their own condo room than the mountains, plastic rubbish and fields on fire ever year. 

All you have done is highlight that other issues also exist, to think that dilutes an existing issue is rather flawed thinking. 

Obviously smoking is not good for ones physical health, however esoterically it actually is tolerable as has no affect spiritually, alcohol and drugs however are strongly advised against as they do, likewise animal products are better avoided. This could hardly be a secret in a Buddhist culture if people actually understood their religion.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Rancid said:

spiritually, alcohol and drugs however are strongly advised against as they do, likewise animal products are better avoided. This could hardly be a secret in a Buddhist culture if people actually understood their religion.

You had me laughing when I read this post.  Thai's have no ideas of true Buddhism in the respects to following certain tenants of faith they are supposed to adhere too.  Sort of like Mormons not drinking caffeine.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Not being able to smoke in a rented condo is understandable, did it my self. 

How will they police/enforce people smoking in a condo that they own? It's not like they're any good at policing anything else.

Complaints of other owners can be acted upon if a regulation is passed. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1