Calls to ban smoking in condominiums in Thailand

webfact

11 hours ago, robblok said:

In the condo they rent or own people should be allowed to smoke. Common area's its debatable. But to prohibit people from smoking in their own condo is crazy.

I agree. I don't smoke and dont like to smell smoke.  In common areas, normal do forbid, but in private apartments not normal.

Otherwise why not forbiding drinking alcohol too in apartements ? and one day may be sugar ;-)

• Like 2

Lot of smokers on here baulking at the prospect of the majority being able to breathe clean air, I am afraid you would be out voted 10 to 90, hope it happens, actually bar it from the whole country!, it's only when you know someone who has suffered because of that <deleted> that you detest it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I was a smoker for around 35 years, and quit just under three years ago. 

Ban smoking in Condos? Hell yes!

Ten Reasons to Quit Smoking (in no special order)

1. You won't smell anymore. Apologies, but there is no polite way to put it; smokers stink. They smell. They reek. Their breath smells like an ashtray. Their clothes are foul and gross. They leave a putrid miasma in every room they occupy.
  2. You will regain your sense of smell and taste. It is truly an amazing thing; I lived and/or visited Thailand for more than 25 years, but after I quit smoking, Thai food became twice as good. Seriously, twice as good!
  3. You won't look like a dried-up lizard. Smoking makes your face/skin look old; quitting smoking means putting 'lizard-ness' off for a decade or two.
  4. If you quit smoking, you don't have to listen to people like me, your spouse, your kids, your friends and complete strangers telling how smoking is bad for you. Wouldn't it be nice if we all shut up? If you didn't have to hear us?
  5. It is easier to pull/keep chicks. Simply put, it is easier to pull and/or keep a hot chick as a non-smoker rather than as a smoker. Nuff' said.
  6. You won't get sick as often. Yes, I know, perhaps smoking helps with c-19 and perhaps it doesn't. But, a non-smoker will catch fewer flus, colds, infections, etc. than a smoker; it is a scientific fact.
  7. You won't hurt those around you. Second-hand smoke kills about 50,000 people a year and damages the health of many, many, many more; don't you want to stop hurting your wife? Your kids? Your friends? Your neighbours? Strangers on the road?
  8. You'll have more breath. Smokers; when was the last time you climbed three flights of stairs without panting or wheezing? Without some shortness of breath? Without stopping for a sec to catch your breath at the top?
  9. Money. Cigarettes are expensive and you get nothing (literally nothing) for your money. One example; by quitting when I did, I saved approximately 190,000 Baht. What would you do with an extra 190,000 Baht? Whooo-Hoooo!
  10. Impotence. It is a medical fact that smoking reduces the lead in your pencil. Further, it is also medical fact that the more you smoke, the more the lead in your pencil is reduced. Simple question; what's better? Smoking or sex? If you chose sex (and you really should have), then it is time to quit.

And a bonus #11; you won't be an addict anymore. Being an addict, whether it is Nicotine, Yaba, Alcohol, Opioids, Meth, Heroin, Crack, or anything else, diminishes a person.

If you quit smoking, you'll be a better person to be around, your sensations and pleasures will improve, your health and appearance will be better, you'll do better with the girls, you'll have stamina again, you'll save huge amounts of money, and your sex life will improve.

If you keep smoking, your stink will drive people away, you won't enjoy food and drink as much, your health will decline, you will become 'Lizard-like', hot girls will laugh at you and throw rocks, you'll be awful in the sack, you'll be poorer and no woman will want you.

Ban smoking everywhere!

Thank you "professor tinfoil hat".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, herwin1234 said:

Smoking ban in one owns home? Typical western liberal nanny state mentallity, absolute un-Thai, where people live their own life and stay out of others ppl lifes business...

What next, toppling of Thai historical statues bc they are political incorrect? 

Your kidding me right?, Thais stay out of other peoples business? Never seen it, gossip is rife in a village and everyone knows everyone's business because of the gossips.  Most Thai's speak very low so that no one else can hear what they are saying, but there is always someone talking trash about how this family or that family is living, or how this family has that and they do not.  

15 minutes ago, PeeJayEm said:

I stopped 10 years ago and dislike the smell and inconsiderate smokers.

People should be allowed to smoke in their own personal space if they want to so long as it's not causing a nuisance to others or in common areas.

Leftie "cancel" and "ban-it!" culture of which I see lots in the comments in this thread needs to be reined in.

Ban the cancel culture!!! ????????????????????????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Started with a ban on sunchairs, beers, bars and smoking  at the beaches. 

Now expanding on another level. 

My advice to Thailand will be,  clean up your infrastructure, get your school system working,  clean up in prostitution, get drivers licence when driving and stop being hostile to tourists.  Then maybe we will return some day. 

22 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Lot of smokers on here baulking at the prospect of the majority being able to breathe clean air, I am afraid you would be out voted 10 to 90, hope it happens, actually bar it from the whole country!, it's only when you know someone who has suffered because of that <deleted> that you detest it.

Balking at "the majority being able to breathe clean air"???   Obviously, sir, you have never been to Bangkok! ????

This needs to be looked at in all its guises. Firstly, how many fires or causes of death are caused by smoking in ones own apartment as opposed to the needless deaths due to idiots running the driving licensing offices and the sub standard level of acceptature.

Secondly, The lack of care to people due to unemployed because of lock down without any programme to feed the most vaunerable affected by the pandemic.

How many more obstacles are these jumped up ponces going to lumber existing or future owners of condominiums or are they he’ll bent on sending them to other countries who are more tolerant towards tourists or future retirees?

12 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I have a condo and so does the guy next door. Whenever he goes on his balcony for a smoke the stench wafts into all the neighbors condos including mine. It seems reasonable said guy should leave the building for a smoke.

Why would they ban smoking in condos and not apartment buildings? I think there are enough smokers living in all types of buildings to make this very hard to enforce. 

2 hours ago, rexall said:

Absolutely! And add to the list expressing disagreement with the law on forums such as TV!   I think if we put our collective heads together, we can add a lot more sins to the list  Masturbation? 

Whoa, guy. I can agree on lots of bans but I think you're going a bit too far now.

13 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

1. You won't smell anymore. Apologies, but there is no polite way to put it; smokers stink. They smell. They reek. Their breath smells like an ashtray. Their clothes are foul and gross. They leave a putrid miasma in every room they occupy.
  2. You will regain your sense of smell and taste. It is truly an amazing thing; I lived and/or visited Thailand for more than 25 years, but after I quit smoking, Thai food became twice as good. Seriously, twice as good!
  3. You won't look like a dried-up lizard. Smoking makes your face/skin look old; quitting smoking means putting 'lizard-ness' off for a decade or two.
  4. If you quit smoking, you don't have to listen to people like me, your spouse, your kids, your friends and complete strangers telling how smoking is bad for you. Wouldn't it be nice if we all shut up? If you didn't have to hear us?
  5. It is easier to pull/keep chicks. Simply put, it is easier to pull and/or keep a hot chick as a non-smoker rather than as a smoker. Nuff' said.
  6. You won't get sick as often. Yes, I know, perhaps smoking helps with c-19 and perhaps it doesn't. But, a non-smoker will catch fewer flus, colds, infections, etc. than a smoker; it is a scientific fact.
  7. You won't hurt those around you. Second-hand smoke kills about 50,000 people a year and damages the health of many, many, many more; don't you want to stop hurting your wife? Your kids? Your friends? Your neighbours? Strangers on the road?
  8. You'll have more breath. Smokers; when was the last time you climbed three flights of stairs without panting or wheezing? Without some shortness of breath? Without stopping for a sec to catch your breath at the top?
  9. Money. Cigarettes are expensive and you get nothing (literally nothing) for your money. One example; by quitting when I did, I saved approximately 190,000 Baht. What would you do with an extra 190,000 Baht? Whooo-Hoooo!
  10. Impotence. It is a medical fact that smoking reduces the lead in your pencil. Further, it is also medical fact that the more you smoke, the more the lead in your pencil is reduced. Simple question; what's better? Smoking or sex? If you chose sex (and you really should have), then it is time to quit.

And a bonus #11; you won't be an addict anymore. Being an addict, whether it is Nicotine, Yaba, Alcohol, Opioids, Meth, Heroin, Crack, or anything else, diminishes a person.

If you quit smoking, you'll be a better person to be around, your sensations and pleasures will improve, your health and appearance will be better, you'll do better with the girls, you'll have stamina again, you'll save huge amounts of money, and your sex life will improve.

If you keep smoking, your stink will drive people away, you won't enjoy food and drink as much, your health will decline, you will become 'Lizard-like', hot girls will laugh at you and throw rocks, you'll be awful in the sack, you'll be poorer and no woman will want you.

Ban smoking everywhere!

More Nanny state rules and regulations to be ignored.  I have always smoked outside.  I agree that indoor smoking is terrible.  Anyone that smokes indoors is just lazy!!

That said the government can easily end all smoking by just outlawing sales.  Oh wait!  There is a monopoly here in Thailand that might suffer.  We can't do that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I knew someone who died in a condo fire last year.  Went to sleep with a lit cigarette.  Fortunately, only he died, he could have taken out the whole building.

We can't bring gas in for cooking, but allow smoking?  ????

Ban please.

Incense? Candles? Gonna have some objection to that from the Buddhists I think.

Same issue right?

See, that's the problem with banning things.

Everybody has a sacred cow that ABSOLUTELY cannot be slaughtered and a list of a dozen other animals that most definitely MUST be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polaky said:

Hogwash!

14 hours ago, robblok said:

In the condo they rent or own people should be allowed to smoke. Common area's its debatable. But to prohibit people from smoking in their own condo is crazy.

You are absolutely right if the condo doors and windows are perfectly sealed and no smell or smoke will be out to common area, but we all know that is not really possible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

As a free Human I say: Please shut up.  It is not your place to share your wisdom with others and to think that others have to adopt your opinion.  Keep your ignorant nonsense to yourself.  Whether you smoke or not ..... by the way, i'm not a smoker

By the way this is an internet forum.

If they are really concerned about people's health then they should ban  7/11's . Obesity kills more people than smoking and 7/11 is a huge pusher of high calorie low nutritional value junk food . 

Forbidding people to smoke in their condo is a bridge too far . The black diesel smoke from one bus travelling from one end of beach road to the other probably puts more carcinogens in the air than the cumulative contibution of smokers in  a 30 floor condo in a year .

Maybe show a serious concern by going after diesel emissions and if successful look at other low hanging fruit before bothering people in their homes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Ban smoking everywhere!

So you are one of those reformed smokers I guess, I smoked all my life till I gave up about

6 years ago I don't have any problems with smokers next to me, let alone in buildings or

on the beach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, quake said:

sorry but you have not quit long enough to start lecturing people.

come back in 5 years time.

13 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Ban smoking everywhere!

I burned about 2 packs a day for more than 25 years. I didn't give a rat's a** what anyone said about my smoking. I always noticed that those who complained the most were previously smokers. I quit smoking in 1988 and promised myself that I would never complain about, or to those who smoked. I have kept that promise. For those who have asked, I have always tried to be helpful in giving advice and encouragement in quitting. I quit cold turkey on New Years day in 1988 and have never and will never touch another. Some people, cannot do that. My wife could not quit cold turkey. She tried the patches and hypnosis, but could not stop. She was then prescribed Chantix and told to just keep smoking. At first she said the Chantix was not working, but after about 2 weeks she decided she no longer enjoyed cigarettes and has never taken another puff. I know some cannot take Chantix, but it worked a miracle for her.  After she quit, she rid the house of ashtrays and cleaned everything thoroughly to get rid of the smell and residue. She then banned smoking in our house and vehicles. That was a little ahead of our time in the southern US, but is now common practice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1