Over 70s outside of Thailand almost impossible to return to Thailand

As the title states it appears almost impossible for the over 70s to get long term covid 19 insurance for $100,00 cover . I have friends who took a UK break back earlier this year and are now stranded in the UK . One friend (age over 70 ) has been married for 20 years to a Thai lady , fosters 2 children and has his own business in Thailand . The business is failing because of his absence and the family are struggling for money , there is no safety net in Thailand and the authorities appear unconcerned . I suppose there are many similar cases out there . 

So what will the outcome be for the over 70s both outside and inside Thailand . If a farang manages to comply with visa regs and enters Thailand will he have to have continuous annual covid insurance ?  and where does that leave long stay farangs who have lived in Thailand for many a year, ref insurance ?

Thai nationals can return to Thailand without all the red tape but there is no compassion or consideration for non Thai national spouses  Are there any human rights in Thailand ?   Hoping that the promised vaccines will end the crazy covid insurance wrangle . 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Up to 99 years old can get covid insurance. 

https://covid19.tgia.org/

image.png

Many thanks for the info which I will pass on . However my friend has tried to get the insurance and the cheapest was over £1000 per year which is ok if you are not on a tight budget . Then there is the cost of the quarantine hotel which cannot be avoided . It would be good to hear from those aged over 70 who have managed to secure a return to Thailand .

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I guess this means that anyone living here over 70  can NEVER leave Thailand as you risk not being let back in. A bit of a bummer, no travel outside of Thailand.

exactly , I have not seen any discussion on this , how can you differentiate between a long stay farang and a new returnee who has tested negative for covid regarding insurance requirements . I would suggest a 1 year covid insurance for returnees should suffice .

33 minutes ago, superal said:

Many thanks for the info which I will pass on . However my friend has tried to get the insurance and the cheapest was over £1000 per year which is ok if you are not on a tight budget . Then there is the cost of the quarantine hotel which cannot be avoided . It would be good to hear from those aged over 70 who have managed to secure a return to Thailand .

this is the problem....MONEY.....that people not really have......

56 minutes ago, superal said:

Thai nationals can return to Thailand without all the red tape but there is no compassion or consideration for non Thai national spouses 

And Australian nationals can return---and American Nationals can return -----UK Nationals can return---French nationals....etc etc .

The problem is that Thailand is to lenient with its overseas residents. So your friend came here when he was over 50 decided to stay, start a business get married etc etc....... try that in any of the countries mentioned above.

Anyway as Expatoilworker is pointed out he can get insurance, you just check didn't  before the whine..........:coffee1:

Best just to completely forget Thailand until the pandemic is over and we can rock up at Suvarnabhumbi with just a passport and a smile again

Wont be seeing me again until that day arrives....Thailands mistake will be thinking I'm alone in that thought

9 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

And Australian nationals can return---and American Nationals can return -----UK Nationals can return---French nationals....etc etc .

The problem is that Thailand is to lenient with its overseas residents. So your friend came here when he was over 50 decided to stay, start a business get married etc etc....... try that in any of the countries mentioned above.

Anyway as Expatoilworker is pointed out he can get insurance, you just check didn't  before the whine..........:coffee1:

did check as in my post but the policies were out of reach financially . Now trying Expatoilworker info 

54 minutes ago, superal said:

You only need the 100.000 US $ coverage for covid-19 treatment insurance for the period of your intended stay in Thailand, which is interpreted as the period of permission to stay the Visa on which re-enter Thailand will provide you.

E.g. if he is married to a Thai national and returns on a new 90-day Non Imm O Visa for marriage, he only needs that insurance for 3 months.  If he enters on the new 60-day Tourist Visa, he only needs it for 2 months.  Only when entering on a new Non Imm O-A Visa would he need a full 1-year insurance period coverage. 

1 hour ago, superal said:

"There is no safety net in Thailand and the authorities appear unconcerned."

A bit out of topic but I didn't see yet any local folks struggling for a living unless they were already completely indebted.

Opposite, like it or not, the junta has been more than generous with all its benefits schemes during these last months.

over £1000 per year which is ok if you are not on a tight budget .

So £3 per day. 
Not a lot especially if as you say he has a business here. How we afford treatment if he got sick with covid?

Expects the thai taxpayers to pay for him? Gofundme?

exactly , I have not seen any discussion on this , how can you differentiate between a long stay farang and a new returnee who has tested negative for covid regarding insurance requirements . I would suggest a 1 year covid insurance for returnees should suffice .

The COVID insurance is needed only for the period you will initially be stamped in for.

if the problem is money, not age, then your opening post is quite misleading.

Unless he is entering on a brand new O-A or O-X visa there is no need to get a 1 year policy. He needs only a policy valid for the duration of time that he will be stamped in for. Not needed at all for subsequent in-country extensions.

TR visa - 60 days cost from UK  4,480 baht

non-O (new) - 90 days cost 6,400 baht

If he has a re-entry permit then he needs insurance for the period of time left in his current permission of stay.

And even for 1 full year it is nto anywhere near 1000 pounds, Rather it is 23,040 baht = about 570 pounds. But a smentioned there is no reason to get a full year unless entering in a brand new O-A or O-X (in which case he'd have other insurance requirements which would be a big problem).

So he could get insurance but is not willing to pay or can't afford it. That is something completely different then the story in the OP

47 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

A bit out of topic but I didn't see yet any local folks struggling for a living unless they were already completely indebted.

Opposite, like it or not, the junta has been more than generous with all its benefits schemes during these last months.

Really.You should try living on the measly amounts the junta has doled out. Apart from the fact the distribution has been screwed up since day one, some villagers got it, some didn't. Depended on what they had in a bank account.

Any Thai over 60 gets 600 baht/month, unless they are in a government job. My GF's father is 88, he gets 800 baht/month. Whoop-de-doo.

51 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

You obviously don't read many threads on here then, in the Pattaya forum alone there are multiple stories of individual hardship & businesses closing down, Thai and farang, search and you shall see ???? 

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I guess this means that anyone living here over 70  can NEVER leave Thailand as you risk not being let back in. A bit of a bummer, no travel outside of Thailand.

You're right. I've made the necessary adjustments for medical surveillance, and medication supply. The only place I have not been in SE Asia is Cambodia, not busting a gut to get there.

If I die here, I figure I have to die somewhere, and there are worse places.

"How would you like to die, Tyrion son of Tywin Lannister?" The response is a classic, but I can't quote it here.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

if the problem is money, not age, then your opening post is quite misleading.

Unless he is entering on a brand new O-A or O-X visa there is no need to get a 1 year policy. He needs only a policy valid for the duration of time that he will be stamped in for. Not needed at all for subsequent in-country extensions.

TR visa - 60 days cost from UK  4,480 baht

non-O (new) - 90 days cost 6,400 baht

If he has a re-entry permit then he needs insurance for the period of time left in his current permission of stay.

And even for 1 full year it is nto anywhere near 1000 pounds, Rather it is 23,040 baht = about 570 pounds. But a smentioned there is no reason to get a full year unless entering in a brand new O-A or O-X (in which case he'd have other insurance requirements which would be a big problem).

Wow ,       great info .   Friend although married has a retirement extension and a re entry permit .  So if he has 4 months left on his extension , he only needs to have covid insurance for the 4 months and thereafter no insurance needed ?

1 hour ago, TSF said:

I just checked now, quoted me 14,000 Bt for 1 year cover, which is very reasonable. 

Yes, the TGIA covid-19 only insurance, is quite cheap (approx 1.200 THB/month) when you are a national of a 'low-risk' covid-19 country like Australia.

The insurance also does NOT take your age into account, which means that a 25-year old US citizen will pay 3 times more than a 95-year old Australian for the same period of coverage.

So for those from countries deemed 'not low risk' it is worth considering other options to meet the covid-19 insurance requirement.  E.g. if you are middle-aged and from US or UK, it would make sense to subscribe to SafetyWing travel-insurance, which not only provides a full and generous travel-insurance package that includes covid-19 treatment, but also at a cheaper premium than the coivd-19 only insurance policies provided by TGIA.

However when you are over 69 years of age, you would not be able to subscribe to that SafetyWing policy, and in that case the 'no age limit' TGIA-policy might be your only option.

Wow ,       great info .   Friend although married has a retirement extension and a re entry permit .  So if he has 4 months left on his extension , he only needs to have covid insurance for the 4 months and thereafter no insurance needed ?

Correct.

Archived