Over 70s outside of Thailand almost impossible to return to Thailand

21 hours ago, Chivas said:

Wont be seeing me again until that day arrives....Thailands mistake will be thinking I'm alone in that thought

The UK has had over one and a half million covid infections and around 72 thousand covid related deaths, and you think Thailand has made a mistake.

I am 73 and would rather be here than in the west.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not mandatory unless they have a OA or OX visa entry.

So, if I apply only for Tourist Visa, single entry, I only need the insurance for $ 100,000 USD, which I can get through the link mentioned.  Am I correct?  If it is the case, it is great news.  Can you confirm please.  Thanhs a million ubonjoe for your great help as always

22 hours ago, Chivas said:

Best just to completely forget Thailand until the pandemic is over and we can rock up at Suvarnabhumbi with just a passport and a smile again

Wont be seeing me again until that day arrives....Thailands mistake will be thinking I'm alone in that thought

+1

22 hours ago, superal said:

I would suggest a 1 year covid insurance for returnees should suffice .

Why would you need 1-year of Covid insurance, surely, once you've completed the two-week quarantine period you're judged to be Covid-free? There have been a few unexplained cases where Thais returning here seem to have become infected after completing the quarantine, which may mean in a few instances that the virus incubation period is longer than two weeks, or it may mean that they picked up the virus locally, which the government doesn't want to hear. Either way, every month there are many thousands of Thai returnees processed via the two-week quarantine period and given Covid-free status at the end of it. Why should it be any different for farang returnees so they need a one-year insurance policy (I know, I know...)? Two weeks or, at most a month, is sufficient.  

11 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Best just to completely forget Thailand until the pandemic is over and we can rock up at Suvarnabhumbi with just a passport and a smile again

+2

6 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Why would you need 1-year of Covid insurance, surely, once you've completed the two-week quarantine period you're judged to be Covid-free?

You need insurance in case of testing positive during quarantine but the period of time, in particular for those on long term extension, is certainly open to question.

24 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

So, if I apply only for Tourist Visa, single entry, I only need the insurance for $ 100,000 USD, which I can get through the link mentioned.  Am I correct?  If it is the case, it is great news.  Can you confirm please.  Thanhs a million ubonjoe for your great help as always

You will need 2 months (maybe best to get 90 days for flexibility for your date of entry) of covid 19 insurance that covers up to at least $100k for a single entry tourist visa that can apply for and purchase on the TGIA website.

19 minutes ago, hampi said:

How is it if you have a retire extention typ O and you left the Kingdom with a reentry visa,do you need a covid insurance for 100000 Dollar when you travel back to Thailand?

That is a requirement for all entries now.

You would need coverage to the day your extension of stay ends (date the re-entry permit expires).

36 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Why would you need 1-year of Covid insurance, surely, once you've completed the two-week quarantine period you're judged to be Covid-free? There have been a few unexplained cases where Thais returning here seem to have become infected after completing the quarantine, which may mean in a few instances that the virus incubation period is longer than two weeks, or it may mean that they picked up the virus locally, which the government doesn't want to hear. Either way, every month there are many thousands of Thai returnees processed via the two-week quarantine period and given Covid-free status at the end of it. Why should it be any different for farang returnees so they need a one-year insurance policy (I know, I know...)? Two weeks or, at most a month, is sufficient.  

I agree , I have since been guided by those who are well informed on this sketchy subject . 

2 hours ago, easydoor said:

As usual, it is not a problem of age, it is a financial problem. In case someone cannot effort £1000 per year I wonder how he can live a good life in Thailand.

It is not remotely  £1000 per year . More like half that, and that only if for some reason he requires a full year which most people do not.

Cost wise it is not the COVID insurance that makes return expensive, it is the quarantine.

And this has nothing to do with age.

23 hours ago, scorecard said:

Have a good look at this, I'm over 75, in my category for 30 days cover the cost is 1,600Baht. (repeat Baht, not Dollars).

That's fine, but what if you are coming back to Thailand to join your wife and family, possessions etc?

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

But what if Thailand is your home, you are over 75 and you want to come back for good?

The COVID insurance is required only for the period of time that you will initially be stamped in for.

I assume you are referring rather to the O_a mandatory insurance which is a spearate matter.  There rae a number of options for that:

- If already holding a re-entry permit based ion a non-O, can come back in on that.

- If in need of a new visa can either:

get a tourist visa and convert it to non-O in country

-get a non-O if the country you are in offers it for retirement OR you are married to a Thai

-get a new O-A visa using international insurance (requires that the international insurer sign a certificate and can be used only for the initial visa, not in-country extensions

1 hour ago, hampi said:

How is it if you have a retire extention typ O and you left the Kingdom with a reentry visa,do you need a covid insurance for 100000 Dollar when you travel back to Thailand?

Yes but note that 1000,000 is not the price of the insurance. It is how much the insurance must cover. And you will need it only for the period of time remaining under your re-entry permit.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

The COVID insurance is required only for the period of time that you will initially be stamped in for.

I assume you are referring rather to the O_a mandatory insurance which is a spearate matter.  There rae a number of options for that:

- If already holding a re-entry permit based ion a non-O, can come back in on that.

- If in need of a new visa can either:

get a tourist visa and convert it to non-O in country

-get a non-O if the country you are in offers it for retirement OR you are married to a Thai

-get a new O-A visa using international insurance (requires that the international insurer sign a certificate and can be used only for the initial visa, not in-country extensions

Thanks Sheryl, that's nice to know in case I want to return home for a holiday when the borders reopen and things get near enough back to normal.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:06 AM, superal said:

As the title states it appears almost impossible for the over 70s to get long term covid 19 insurance for $100,00 cover.

The officially Thai $100k Covid-19 insurances are not depending of age (up to 99 years), but of origination. You can find official insurance HERE.

I have a friend who came back over 70 years old. Got COVID insurance with no problems although it doesn't cover for very long. Quarantined in a good hotel for 4-50,000 and was happy enough.

He said it was a ball ache to get all the paperwork sorted back in the UK, but after that it was ok.

11 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Do any of these, or other Insurance Companies provide COVID-only cover if you are already in Thailand and have an international medical policy, but does not cover Covid?

My annual insurance already covers covid, but I did see this when browsing ...

https://www.roojai.com/en/covid/

Looks good value, but I don't know the details. Roojai is a sponsor here and could give more info.

9 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Looks good value, but I don't know the details. Roojai is a sponsor here and could give more info.

As far as I know the do not have covid insurance with the 3.5 million baht coverage. The max I have seen is 100k baht policies offered.

I'm 67 and I have just bought the required health insurance to return to Thailand. I don't think there is an upper age limit, but if you are over 65 you will have to pass a fairly rigorous medical examination, as I did. I would think the older you are the higher the premium you will have to pay. Insurance companies are not charities, but if they think you are a reasonable risk they will sell to you.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know the do not have covid insurance with the 3.5 million baht coverage. The max I have seen is 100k baht policies offered.

The policies in the link by chickenslegs offer 500 k or 1 m Baht cover. Will shop around some may offer more.

1 minute ago, placnx said:

What about the Elite Visa - 5 years? A friend in Singapore aged 74 wonders whether she can come here now on that visa.

He can apply for a certificate of entry at the embassy in Singapore. 

He will need the $100,000 covid 19 insurance valid for a year from the date of his entry.

This from the embassy website. 

image.png.6e261dd1f70561b1661ebd11e088f13e.png

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.sg/announcements/information-for-non-thai-nationals-in-singapore-who-wish-to-travel-to-bangkok-thailand

The guy at Pacific Cross I bought my insurance from confirms that they will sell insurance to people over 70.

"Yes it is possible just the age bracket will be different ... Same as you we typically require the health check up but can do it when he arrives in Thailand." I can provide a contact if that is helpful to anyone.

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

The policies in the link by chickenslegs offer 500 k or 1 m Baht cover. Will shop around some may offer more.

The 1 million THB covid-19 treatment coverage insurance which you can buy in Thailand only costs 850,- THB annual premium.  I think that price is quite right for the low risk of catching covid-19 while already in Thailand.  

I also do not see any reason to look for higher coverage. It's not because 100.000 US $ coverage is required for mandatory covid-19 insurance when entering Thailand, that you would need such amount for a voluntary insurance to back-up your regular insurance in case it does not cover covid. 

38 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The 1 million THB covid-19 treatment coverage insurance which you can buy in Thailand only costs 850,- THB annual premium.  I think that price is quite right for the low risk of catching covid-19 while already in Thailand.  

I also do not see any reason to look for higher coverage.

You only get 100.000 of insurance coverage for 850 baht. The life or disability is one million.

image.png.8016e5721293e6d0e97ebd86d71a69ec.png

Archived