Thailand: Thai media points to a violent society among the worst in the world

webfact

I'm dumb....let me start by admitting this.  OK, I'll continue...

met  a lady who lived with her "divorced" husband, who supposedly lived on the 2nd floor and she lived with her kid and grandmother on the first floor.  but she was sexy....we talked for months.  then met, and then.........

he would get mad, but never hurt her.  threaten her a lot, but not hurt.  but I don't know the truth.  he cheated on her first.  yea, great household for the kids

after a few months I left and she keeps telling me he will let her go to come with me...lol

so i have to tell her I'm in another city and I must leave the country......lol

but I just think there was likely a 20% chance he caught her going or at my place....and well, yea, i might know a few policemen but they aren't going to show up on time.

i knew the history of violence, but i played with fire.  

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Too many fragile egos, especially within the male population.  

I will definitely not rule out the often pathetic behaviour of women mostly taking an example from the bad soaps where violence is a staple.

When I turn on my tv, it sometimes goes to cable tv because my missus was watching it before. And 9 out of 10 times, it’s some ridiculous soap opera where people are screaming at each other and physically attacking others. The screaming of the males in these shows really grates on me. 

If you were new here and someone told you to watch the soap operas to get an idea of Thai culture, you’d think it was a society full of drama, violence and sex crimes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

When I turn on my tv, it sometimes goes to cable tv because my missus was watching it before. And 9 out of 10 times, it’s some ridiculous soap opera where people are screaming at each other and physically attacking others. The screaming of the males in these shows really grates on me. 

If you were new here and someone told you to watch the soap operas to get an idea of Thai culture, you’d think it was a society full of drama, violence and sex crimes. 

I'm never quite sure whether Thai Lakorns are reflecting reality or vice versa.

I have no real clue where Thailand sits in a global index of domestic violence, but it's pretty high for sure.

Misogamy, and a sense of male dominance is not unique to Thailand. But I think for most developed societies, and I don't just mean the West, Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, Japan, that conversation is on going.

My dear wife is a coconut having grown up in the US, so has a slightly different perspective to most of her fellow citizens.

I have an awful memory of a friend of hers coming to our house, black and blue after her 'loving'  husband beat the <deleted> out of her, for not making him dinner when he got home.

Now of course this is not unique to Thailand, but of course as my wife is telling her to get the hell outta dodge, she's professing, 'But he loves me really'.

You need to have sea change in how a country deals with it. I pity the poor woman who tries to go to the RTP to file a claim domestic abuse, I would guarantee that just means more abuse!

• Like 1

As a surrogate father to my Thai so, i would like to place some Thai women

as the biggest instigators of violence to children.

Before you shout and scream at me, hear me out.

nearly 30 years ago my then Thai partner were left with her brother's son to care for.

All seemed OK for a few years as she took reasonable care of him, taking to the child health clinics as required 

After he started to attend school she began to mentally and physically abuse him for any minor error in his school work.

As I was working days and evenings [and he was threatened with more abuse if he told me] I was unaware of the extent of the abuse.

If she abused him while I was home I told her in no uncertain manner never to do it again.

to cut a long story short, I needed to return to my home country frequently and obviously leave him in her care. I financially provided for them while i was away.

Cut to the present and given the facts by my son I got him away from her and have taken complete care of him much to his daily delight. 

Sorry for such a long winded reply , but i understand that all Thai women are not like this , but when they are they can be bloody mean.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

I will definitely not rule out the often pathetic behaviour of women mostly taking an example from the bad soaps where violence is a staple.

I think bad soaps are really a reflection of Thai life behind the smiles, probably over empathised but a reflection and certainly only add to the problem. 

• Like 2