Thailand: Thai media points to a violent society among the worst in the world

webfact

7 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

I doubt it.

Throw in New Guinea, some Middle East countries and Africa. 

Thailand top ten? Nah.

Under the headline I expected something different from domestic violence.
A violent country? Yes on the road e.g.

Thai parents attack their children? I just can't confirm it from all observations that I made here. Maybe the grandparents education that is dominant here makes the difference?

My observation is more that they don't discipline or intervene. Especially the boys are running wild.

Spoiled brats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

What problems, there are no problem at the centre of the universe, all is sweet and rosie and the envy of the rest of the world. 

And there is the problem in a nut shell.....nothing is wrong with them or their country.

Its never their fault, must be untrue so lets ignore it and mive on.

6 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

Yes, ALCOHOL is one of the main contributing factors to Domestic violence and not smoking.

Yes it is pot would make people docile alcohol the drug that many keep defending while demonizing canabis is just so out of touch with reality.

Though of course many (more then not) can handle their alcohol but a too large part cannot. 

Maybe there needs to be a concentrated look at poverty, most of the country is poor. Thailand runs on out dated feudal systems that don't increase a poor person chances of getting anywhere in life except what they've been born into ,  unless you are a Hi So and privileged,  the only option you have is the paddy fields or laboring work, yes you can have a car, a LCD tv and a smart phone, all on hire purchase, all owed money on , poverty is the killer in all aspects of life. 

12 hours ago, sadhukar said:

I feel like this comment and the people who like it is abit ironic, coming from an old white man living in a foreign country

Mmmm I fail to see the irony unless you know them......observant, yes, truthful, yes.....the single biggest blight on the human race, other than religion, is the male ego and I guess religion is inextricably linked to the male ego...seen any female popes lately?

4 hours ago, chainarong said:

Maybe there needs to be a concentrated look at poverty, most of the country is poor. Thailand runs on out dated feudal systems that don't increase a poor person chances of getting anywhere in life except what they've been born into ,  unless you are a Hi So and privileged,  the only option you have is the paddy fields or laboring work, yes you can have a car, a LCD tv and a smart phone, all on hire purchase, all owed money on , poverty is the killer in all aspects of life. 

You think in Europe or USA different?

They just let people earn enough to have their little house, a moderate car and a yearly holiday that they still manage to finance.

Just give them enough that they don't go out on the streets.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes it is pot would make people docile alcohol the drug that many keep defending while demonizing canabis is just so out of touch with reality.

Though of course many (more then not) can handle their alcohol but a too large part cannot. 

Been here 11 years and frequent plenty of restaurants and bars where there are groups of Thai males. One particular bar, I’m the only farang. I’ve seen a few ‘wobblers’ but never witnessed any massive problems; the sort that I have experienced in pubs in the UK where two groups clash and the scene turns to mayhem.

I don’t know what the football crowds are like here but in the 60’s and 70’s in the UK it was outright war.

I agree entirely about the soaps and when women get angry I walk away. Having said that I also frequent a couple of bars that cater for farangs and god the women can screech for England.

I don’t know how they have measured this, but placing it on a scale is meaningless to me. And citing alcohol as a fuel doesn’t help without understanding that the person possibly has underlying anger problems.

On 11/26/2020 at 12:10 AM, AlfHuy said:

That's when you don't want to loose face.

Always a smile or a fake smile.

Never express any anger or unhappiness.

Once the lid blows, get out of their way.

Same for Thai women. When they get mad, run for your life????

I did.  I'm now 12,000 miles away and won't go back.

• Haha 1

Man, this makes me feel so naive.  Been here many times and its been "home" for a year and a half now.  I have no experience seeing or hearing of this - not to say it doesn't exist.  

One of the few cultural observations I can make is how unruly and spoiled the male kids are in school - I was a volunteer teacher.  I can only attribute it to a lack of discipline at home.

I have heard stories that when Thais get angry, they go bash*t crazy apparently.

Other than that, all seems peaceful in my little village.

Edited by juanzo