Ordering up a taxi.

Deserted

Do the regular taxis still have a number you can call to order one? Haven't done it in years but from memory there was a surcharge of 20baht and you had to wait a few minutes. That's fine because I need to get hold of a bigger, regular taxi, if that makes any sense. Yes I know there's Grab but that's the more expensive option I would prefer not to opt for. Just wondered if the old system is still in use.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

When UBER was around Grab were better, more competitive on pricing and promo’s etc.

When UBER were forced out, Grab’s model became one more akin to a monopoly, prices increased.

I wonder how long Bolt will last before its forced out again - I’ll give bolt a try, it seems they are about 30% cheaper than Grab (i.e. a 90 baht Grab is 62 baht on Bolt)

There are other Taxi Apps like ‘All Thai Taxi’ but they were simply too small, I never successfully ‘landed’ one of these taxi’s.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 11:16 AM, lujanit said:

1681 will get you to a taxi booking service.  Excellent English.  20 baht booking fee.

Sad to join this discussion so late.

@lujanit Really, you've been able to get  an English speaking dispatcher. I shall try...

On 11/29/2020 at 10:04 AM, nickcar said:

I have used Lineman with great success 4 or 5 times in recent weeks. 

@nickcar "Lineman"? I've never heard of this app. Do you mean "LINE"? I'll see if I can find this Lineman app.  too.

This info is useful to me; although, I have 'that guy' (taxi driver) who I can LINE and get a taxi booking. But, Sometimes he's on the other side of Bangkok (or upcountry). It'd be nice to be able to actually call a dispatcher and get the nearest taxi. (I am not a grab fan)

4 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Really, you've been able to get  an English speaking dispatcher. I shall try...

You get connected to an automated voice, just press whatever number you want for English.  Never failed me yet.