Rice farmer in Phayao shoots assessor dead after he gave low valuation

webfact

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Prices pushed down to silly levels (7 Baht/kg I heard at the table this morning).

Farmers heavily in debt forced to sell quickly.

Debt collectors on the doorstep.

Same miserable game every year.

Those who are forced to sell will be exploited.

But still had enough money to buy booze, and still vote for the same ...politicians.

• Like 1

Just now, ronaldo0 said:

Guns guns guns !! Where does the ammo come from ? I thought it was hard to get ?

You are not looking for a gun that's why. I guess if you start looking you will surprised how it works. Same with child prostitution  after 25+ years I never noticed it but I'm sure if you start to ask around with the taxi drivers you will find a place.

18 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

You are not looking for a gun that's why. I guess if you start looking you will surprised how it works. Same with child prostitution  after 25+ years I never noticed it but I'm sure if you start to ask around with the taxi drivers you will find a place.

No problem getting a gun . Have been offered several times by friends and workers , but was told bullets were not so easy to get . No point in having a gun unless you are willing to use it when required !

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

No problem getting a gun . Have been offered several times by friends and workers , but was told bullets were not so easy to get . No point in having a gun unless you are willing to use it when required !

I have been around guns all my live but have no urge to own one here. 

• Like 1

My relatives by Nong Khai has havested rice yesterday for the last time on their 12 rai.
Prices are too low to match the labor and harvest cost.
They have 12 rai of rubber tree´s too, but that prices is way down too.
They have no idea what to live off soon and desperation are very clear in the whole area.
Now they are looking into Fruit threes or goats

• Sad 4

55 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

And this character obviously was willing to use the gun and he had bullets and he killed a man who had not attacked him or invaded his house. However he decided it was required to settle his dispute. That is the most stupid reason to have a gun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, epicking said:

My relatives by Nong Khai has havested rice yesterday for the last time on their 12 rai.
They have no idea what to live off soon and desperation are very clear in the whole area.

Well maybe belpeppers or strawberries? Or as i red this week in TVF, Thai government wants to grow everybody marihuana.

Guess Thailand wants to be in on producing marihuana based products. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Well maybe belpeppers or strawberries? Or as i red this week in TVF, Thai government wants to grow everybody marihuana.

It's not so easy, these people have growing rice generation after generation since ages

they don't have the tools (Including the skills) to adapt to new productions, the climate

and the nature of the ground are not the same everywhere, water isn't abundant everywhere all year long

Plus if you want to sale your production, it needs all a chain from the producer to

the final customer, and it's not an easy thing to put in place

you can't just put a stall on the side of the road and hope for the best

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

It's not so easy, these people have growing rice generation after generation since ages

they don't have the tools (Including the skills) to adapt to new productions, the climate

and the nature of the ground are not the same everywhere, water isn't abundant everywhere all year long

Plus if you want to sale your production, it needs all a chain from the producer to

the final customer, and it's not an easy thing to put in place

you can't just put a stall on the side of the road and hope for the best

IM aware of that, but at one point you have to adapt, otherwise you go down.

All the beginning is difficult.

At one point i had to adapt as i lost my job after 32 years straight on. I struggled and survived.

Also had to adapt after my wife wanted divorce and i wouldnt be fulltime father anymore.

You must find the way again and again at some times. That is life and i surely know by experience, it is not easy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:
Suphot, 58, had brought his unhusked rice, Thammanit, 34, announced the low price, Suphot got a shotgun and fired at his head.

I want the OP reduced to the most important.

What a tragedy. One man dead, the other in prison.

And two families mourning. May be helpless? No future.

Why?

I could aqlso add e.g. 'The Plague and the Promise in Thai Rice', this was 2017 ...

or http://www.indexmundi.com/de/rohstoffpreise/?ware=reis&wahrung=thb

... but I am more inclined to pity the dead. And also with the man who caused it.

It is the same in every field of agriculture.

We have 4 rai of mangoes around our house, and when we got those people to come and buy it they also pick it, they wanted to refuse 20% of the crop because it was either too small or had worms in it.

Same experience when the government or local authority whatever encouraged local people to grow aubergines, when the crop was ready for sale they refused half of it because they were mishapen. We gave up on farming in any shape or form many years ago.

The rice growing across all of Thailand is a scam.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

i lost my job after

absolutly different, sorry.

4 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

my wife wanted divorce

this too

5 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

You must find the way again and again at some times.

Thanks.

But some people can't. Never. 

3 hours ago, mrfill said:

And this character obviously was willing to use the gun and he had bullets and he killed a man who had not attacked him or invaded his house. However he decided it was required to settle his dispute. That is the most stupid reason to have a gun.

That is a pretty naive thing to say.

The assessors are corrupt and the buyers are corrupt.

This assessor just told a hard working farmer that in spite of all of his hard work, he was broke and his family would starve because the government does not help people like him

6 hours ago, loong said:

I was told that they were offering 6 Baht per kilo for sticky rice (paddy)  last week and I thought that was bad. This week it is apparently down to 3 Baht per kilo. I know that paddy rice needs to be processed, but that just seems scandalous. This is west of Khon Kaen BTW.

And fertilizer is damn expensive. 

4 hours ago, epicking said:

I suggest they concentrate on being self sufficient with different crops en going without pesticides and use natural fertilizers instead. They will safe a lot of money on these two products.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

They will allow only 3 Rai hennep for each farmer and probably the licenses for mass production will go the the same old well known Chinese Thai companies.