16 found positive in quarantine as global Covid-19 cases hit 60 million

webfact

16 found positive in quarantine as global cases hit 60 million

By The Nation

800_d28f4341b3e15a7.jpg?v=1606366884

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Thursday reported 16 new cases in state quarantine over a 24-hour period.

The latest cases are:

> An 11-year-old Thai female student, who returned from the United States and Hong Kong (using a connecting flight) on November 12 and went into Chon Buri state quarantine. She tested positive on November 24.

> A 43-year-old Thai male welder, who flew back from the United Arab Emirates on November 13 and entered Chon Buri state quarantine. He tested positive on November 24.

> A 44-year-old Thai male farmer, who returned from Kuwait and Qatar (connecting flight) on November 17 and went into Chon Buri state quarantine. He was found positive on November 20.

> A 48-year-old Thai male freelancer, who travelled back from Qatar on November 17 and entered Chon Buri state quarantine. He tested positive on November 20.

> A 31-year-old female freelancer, who came home from Sweden and Germany (connecting flight) on November 19 and went into hotel quarantine in Bangkok. She was found positive on November 23.

> Nine Thais – a 33-year-old woman, a 51-year-old male businessman, three masseuses (aged 42, 43 and 52), a 43-year-old female freelancer, a 43-year-old man, a 51-year-old and a 34-year-old housewife – who travelled back from Turkey on November 20 and went into Chon Buri state quarantine. They were all found positive on November 23-24, with three of them showing symptoms such as a runny nose, cough, sore throat, fever and fatigue.

> A 62-year-old Thai woman who returned from Switzerland on November 25 and was detected at a screening checkpoint in Suvarnabhumi Airport. She had a headache and phlegm.

> A 23-year-old Kuwaiti woman, who arrived on November 16 after taking a connecting flight from the UAE. She was found positive on November 23 while receiving treatment in hospital quarantine in Bangkok. Her health record shows she was infected once before, on September 21.

Meanwhile, eight patients have recovered and been discharged.

As of Thursday, the number of confirmed cases in Thailand has increased to 3,942 (981 in state quarantine). Of these, 94 are in hospital and 3,788 have recovered and been discharged. The death toll remains at 60.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am the number of confirmed cases has broken the 60-million record (increasing by 609,204 in 24 hours). Of these, 42.02 million have recovered, 17.26 million are active cases (103,933 in severe condition) and 1.43 million have died (an increase of 12,007).

Thailand ranks a safe 151st for most cases in the world, while the US has the most number, with 13.14 million, followed by India (9.27 million), Brazil (6.16 million), France (2.17 million) and Russia (2.16 million).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398607

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-26

• Haha 2

How many would have passed a PCR test if they had been made to take one instead of just being allowed to fly with a fit to fly certificate ? Also find it very odd most of these are showing up around day 4 in ASQ , I thought they tested you at the airport when you got off the plane before being shipped to ASQ .

The amount of positive that seem to come via Middle East has put me off my flight plan. A single via Dubai from uk with emirates was around £500 and single non stop with Eva was £720 economy. So I think I will hedge my bets and go for the eva flight even though more cost .

5 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Does anyone else think they're finding an unusually high number of people with CoVid-19 in quarantine?

I'm starting to wonder if the Thai health authorities are using an overly-sensitive PCR test that's picking up on non-viable virus fragments still left in the person's system, as was apparently the case in South Korea with some of the earlier reports of re-infections.

What's an overly sensitive PCR test? 

2 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

So It has been stated that Covid is very dangerous, yet almost everyone in Thailand recovers. A different strain they say? Right, but these people have come in from various countries? Do we really beleive this thing is any worse than the common flu? Is it really worth shutting down the whole worlds economy, killing and putting out of work/business thousands in the process?

You are late with your rant this subject has been mentioned many times before

Are that's required to have a negative pcr test 72 hours prior to flying?    If not it makes the idea of flying to Thailand more risky.   Is freelancer what I think it is? So Thailand acknowledges that its citizens travel to countries to do illegal activity. Not paying taxes, working without a permit?    Hypocrites 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 2

Yes I meant  Thai.  And it was autocorrect.   

I think having people that don't require testing before a 14 ,hour flight is enough to keep me away.   Not to mention the 14 day quarantine which I think is prudent.  

23 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Does anyone else think they're finding an unusually high number of people with CoVid-19 in quarantine?

I'm starting to wonder if the Thai health authorities are using an overly-sensitive PCR test that's picking up on non-viable virus fragments still left in the person's system, as was apparently the case in South Korea with some of the earlier reports of re-infections.

It sounds higher than it is because they report only the positive cases and not the 99% of people who test negative.

As of Nov 14, 908 confirmed cases among 81,676 people.  And bear in mind that most of these are Thais, who are not tested prior to travel.

Larger issue is whether any people are being infected during travel here or while in quarantine. At least one case recently of an expat who was infected while in ASQ.

17 hours ago, Letseng said:

What's an overly sensitive PCR test? 

It's one that returns too many false positives because it detects tiny fragments of non-viable virus ('dead' bits of virus) that do not actually mean the person is infected and almost certainly cannot cause onward transmission.

As mentioned, this was what happened in South Korea with some early reports of what they thought were re-infections but turned out not to be. As a Reuters article on this pointed out:

.. such test results appear to be “false positives” caused by lingering - but likely not infectious - bits of the virus.

See full article on the link below:

South Korean "re-infections" are false positives

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

And bear in mind that most of these are Thais, who are not tested prior to travel.

Totally insane to be requiring all others on the plane test negative before boarding  but then mixing them in with Thais who don't have to test :crazy:

• Thanks 1