Don't miss the Pattaya fireworks festival this weekend - Thai skills highlighted

webfact

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

A bit puzzled by the sentence saying, 'I bet the Thais spend more than the average foreign tourist there did in the past.'

All of them seemed to be buying food and toys for the kids there on the beach.... freely sprung for chairs at 50 baht each and I generally saw them as spending liberally. The queues at the 7-11 were long too.

18 minutes ago, champers said:

Looking at today's news about a possible super spreader in Chiang Mai, you may be right to be wary. A Thai lady came from Myanmar into Thailand with the virus and did not quarantine.

Might people from Chiang Mai have flown into U Tapao for the weekend? If so, the possibilities don't bear thinking about.

I am not the only one that was surprised how Corona friendly this event was:

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-fireworks-festival-packs-beaches-ignores-social-distancing-335775

10 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I am not the only one that was surprised how Corona friendly this event was:

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-fireworks-festival-packs-beaches-ignores-social-distancing-335775

Can't argue with that article, has complacency set in?

I popped into a 7/11 on Beach Rd for some beer & ciggies before the fireworks started and the place was rammed, everyone cheek by jowel. But the cash registers were kerchinging 10 to the dozen so who cares?

Had a deckchair on the beach, no distancing so 20 seats in a row as opposed to half that. At 100 Baht a pop the chair renters would have made tens of thousands over two nights. 

If there were any Covid infected people in amongst all those crowds then a better super spreader event you could not find.

All to be repeated in a fortnight for the music festival.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, champers said:

Can't argue with that article, has complacency set in?

I popped into a 7/11 on Beach Rd for some beer & ciggies before the fireworks started and the place was rammed, everyone cheek by jowel. But the cash registers were kerchinging 10 to the dozen so who cares?

Had a deckchair on the beach, no distancing so 20 seats in a row as opposed to half that. At 100 Baht a pop the chair renters would have made tens of thousands over two nights. 

If there were any Covid infected people in amongst all those crowds then a better super spreader event you could not find.

All to be repeated in a fortnight for the music festival.

Fingers crossed.

Where on beach rd would you say the fireworks were more centrally located. Just trying to figure out which hotel would be the best for a view of fireworks.

20 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Where on beach rd would you say the fireworks were more centrally located. Just trying to figure out which hotel would be the best for a view of fireworks.

Bottom of Soi 7. Hard Rock and Hilton are probably the closest now, if the Imperial/Montiem ever reopens that would be closest. The new Witherspoons on Beach Road was allowing pre-booking of prime seats, so that is another option providing they are still open in 12 months.

That is all presuming that the fireworks stay where they are. Last year I think they were a little further North. They are always near to bottom of Klang.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, champers said:

At 100 Baht a pop the chair renters would have made tens of thousands over two nights

They were 50 baht Friday, soi 4 area,  and told me none left.

All to be repeated in a fortnight for the music festival

Now that I will skip.....

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They were 50 baht Friday, soi 4 area,  and told me none left.

Now that I will skip.....

The 100 Baht ones we bought were in front of the display near the end of soi 7. Paid 200 for ticketed seats 2 years ago. 

The music festival will have to manage without me as well.

Edited by champers