Normal postal service to UK closed

Speedo1968

I had hoped to send Christmas / New Year cards to family in UK today Thursday 26th November.
At the counter I was told that there is no normal postal service to the UK only SMS.
Five cards by normal post would cost about 150 baht or less, to send SMS cost 880 baht.    I declined the offer.

I put a parcel SMS to UK on Saturday 14th November ( told it would take about 2 weeks depending on UK end ).  I checked today at the post office and the parcel was put on a flight on 15th as yet there is no confirmation from UK end.     

Earlier this year I sent a parcel DHL, cost about 6000 baht.    It arrived at my daughters house in UK 5 days later.

Time to go back to a government run postal service in UK

5 hours ago, johng said:

I think I see the reason why  "normal post" was not available    did you try a different post office ?

I live out of town my nearest big post office would be Khon Kaen 50km away.
My typo error should have read EACH card would cost 880 baht ( not all 5 ).

What do you think the reason is ???

According to the Thailand Post web site, it is still possible to send an 80 gram letter to the UK for 66 baht.

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/rate_result/?country_code=GB&weight=80

A letter to the UK pre-COVID used to cost 17 baht and a card 24 baht.

However, I recently sent a small 105 gram packet to Germany for 86 baht as per the web site cost, but the PO insisted I pay 40 baht extra for "COVID checks" despite this not being mentioned on their web site. 

But I now always take a screen shot of the Thailand Post fee schedule when going to the PO because many times the staff are clueless and quote a huge cost.

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus
  • Thanks 1

post to the U.K. is messed up:

As of October 1st they introduced an extra 40thb on each item air mail (any country) for Covid airport charges. Additional transport link fees/costs etc...which is harsh if you send a lot of post.

Aug-mid Nov was running fine. They were using Qatar to fly the mail which was taking on average 5-7 days most.

As of around Nov 10th, they've changed U.K. to the awful Thai Airways...flight TG916 which only leaves once a week on a Sunday. If your item doesn't go/messed Around/missed on the Sunday...then next Sunday...and so on....potentially for weeks or months.

They're still charging the extra, yet gone for an obviously cheaper option to cash in, rather than paying out the actual money they're charging.

OP - My local post office Banphai said normal post for cards not avail to UK only as an EMS item.   Went to Khon Kaen post office yesterday there was no problem at all for sending airmail at normal prices to UK.
Why ?

I sent a parcel by EMS which took 10 days.

Couple of weeks ago I sent a birthday card to my mother using www.moonpig.com

Great service. Non expensive and simple to use. You can use one of their cards with their words or upload any picture and any wording you like.

This is then printed , put in an envelope and posted in the UK by first-class post for next day delivery.

My mother was very happy when it dropped through the letter box.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

OP - My local post office Banphai said normal post for cards not avail to UK only as an EMS item.   Went to Khon Kaen post office yesterday there was no problem at all for sending airmail at normal prices to UK.
Why ?

I sent a parcel by EMS which took 10 days.

I can only guess that the local post office have no idea what they're talking about!

• Like 1

OP -AGAIN  = Went to my Banphai post office this morning "No sorry we cannot send" - after checking with their computer.
I said that I posted from Khon Kaen with no problem yesterday - "Ah, but the computer says etc etc"
"Well here is the receipt"  
Another 10  minutes of checking computer - of course they hadn't updated>
Cards sent at normal rate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sometime said:

Went to Najomtien postoffice yesterday with a handfull of Christmas cards for the UK, No problem 24 baht each airmail

Think of the trees cut down to make the paper for the cards & envelopes, and the fossil fuel used to transport the silly things both by land and air.

Plus the same for the ones you are hoping to get back.

Edited by Tyler Visan
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Tyler Visan said:

Think of the trees cut down to make the paper for the cards & envelopes, and the fossil fuel used to transport the silly things both by land and air.

Plus the same for the ones you are hoping to get back.

You swam to LOS then....?

• Haha 2

I called HSBC many weeks ago for a new banking fob (online banking).

A few days later I got an email with a registration code, valid 28 days.

The fob arrived yesterday.

Can't register now as the 28 days have gone.

Have to call bank again to get a new code.

Post took around 5 weeks to BKK.

44 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

My UK Nationwide bank statements / general letters take 4 weeks plus as they are not created ? / sent from UK.

16 hours ago, Tyler Visan said:

I think there is a paperless option somewhere on the site.

Thanks for your suggestion.

There is the "paperless" option and I did use in the past for some years, however I feel it is more useful at this time to have a paper copy, of course I could always download a statement then print.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saltire said:

Why does almost every government office including Immigration, Post Office, Depertment of Land and Transport, local amphur etc have their own interpretation of the rules?

Is anything consistent in Thailand?

Yes the most consistent is..... inconsistemcy ????

(Oopps, I see someone beat me to it after I posted)

On 11/26/2020 at 1:25 PM, Speedo1968 said:

I had hoped to send Christmas / New Year cards to family in UK today Thursday 26th November.
At the counter I was told that there is no normal postal service to the UK only SMS.
Five cards by normal post would cost about 150 baht or less, to send SMS cost 880 baht.    I declined the offer.

I put a parcel SMS to UK on Saturday 14th November ( told it would take about 2 weeks depending on UK end ).  I checked today at the post office and the parcel was put on a flight on 15th as yet there is no confirmation from UK end.     

Earlier this year I sent a parcel DHL, cost about 6000 baht.    It arrived at my daughters house in UK 5 days later.

Time to go back to a government run postal service in UK

did your parcel from November 15 arrive there yet?

On 12/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, AlfHuy said:

Only at the end of last month I changed to a digital secure key via the HSBC app.  Much easier, and now no worry that your physical device's battery runs out and the new one doesn't arrive.

As Friday, I finally my physical device by post, I tried Saturday to login.

I had to insert a code I did receive by email by the beginning of September.

This one is only valid for 28 days. Obvious, I could not login.

I called yesterday HSBC and had to wait 63 minutes to get someone on the phone.

Same sh..  again. Sorry Sir, you failed the security question.

Me: what security question, you even did answer me any question.

Sorry sir, not with me but it is on our system.

Back and forward. I told her that I just need to get another email with another code and that I got the secure key by post.

She would not do anything and wanted me to call another number where I probably would be told the same rubbish and wait another hour.

I told her:

Sorry, you tell me that I failed security and this was on the system. Why did HSBC sent a code to my email address and why did they sent out the security device out to Thailand if there was a suspision that something was wrong?

HSBC failed security and not me.

How do I get this ru.... sorted now?

Any thoughts?