Buriram Immigration Charged Me 1,000 Baht Extra For COVID Extension - Trip Report

I entered Thailand on a visa exempt stamp, then onto amnesty, did a COVID extension with an embassy letter back in September, now I am doing the second COVID extension without embassy letter.

I went into Buriram immigration today. I told the front desk person that ensures all the documents are there that I want to do a COVID extension. She does not look at my copies but looks at the previous extension stamp in my passport. She asks me where my embassy letter is. I tell her that my embassy is not giving out embassy letters anymore. She then tells me that I have to pay an extra 1,000 Baht because of this. Luckily I had went to the ATM to take out extra money since I had a feeling Buriram immigration was going to ask for extra.

I go into the office. Fill out the forms and the COVID affidavit. Paste the photo onto the form. The officer only wanted a copy of my main information page on my passport. I did not need to turn in the copies of the entry card or passport stamps.

Something I also do not understand is the officer wanted a copy of a locals ID. The first time I applied for the COVID extension they also wanted this. Luckily I brought my friend along with me and they copied her ID.

The IO does the processing and issues me the two month COVID extension. I received the extension right away, I did not have to wait two weeks on an under consideration stamp. The IO tells me the total is 2900 - 1900 for the extension and 1000 extra for I am not sure what.

The first time I did the COVID extension Buriram immigration charged me 300 Baht extra for a reason I am not sure. First time 300, now 1000. My TM30 is up to date and so is my 90 day reporting so I know it is not this. This was not a "maybe you should pay 1000" it was a "pay 1000 extra or no extension" situation.

Looking at all of the other reports on ThaiVisa, no one else has had to submit a locals ID copy or pay this extra 1000 baht. 

I did not receive a receipt for any of this.

What do you think? 

5 minutes ago, ThomasPaine said:

Looking at all of the other reports on ThaiVisa, no one else has had to submit a locals ID copy or pay this extra 1000 baht. 

What do you think? 

God bless the rascals. I thought westerners had it covered with the tooth fairy and Santa and the transformers. 

Thai imm offices invent things at will.

"What do you think". I think it's a bloody disgrace. 

However you have your extension. 

Chill and enjoy.

1 minute ago, beachproperty said:

Count yourself lucky ....you got the extension!

Yes I am happy that I received my extension. For me it is either stay in Thailand or go back to my passport country. Gladly would stay in Thailand. I considered refusing to pay then going to Ubon over the weekend to receive the extension there but with the cost of travel and hotel it was simply not worth it.

11 minutes ago, ThomasPaine said:

What do you think? 

I think it shows once more, that immigration, who know full well what embassies will and will not provide, are essentially a bunch of money grabbing wretches, happy to fleece anyone unfortunate enough to have to deal with them on anything out of the ordinary..

15 minutes ago, ThomasPaine said:

Yes I am happy that I received my extension. For me it is either stay in Thailand or go back to my passport country. Gladly would stay in Thailand. I considered refusing to pay then going to Ubon over the weekend to receive the extension there but with the cost of travel and hotel it was simply not worth it.

You were considering a travel for avoiding... 1000 bahts ?... Seriously ? ????

I understand to be a little bit irritated at Chiang Mai where they asked to go via agent and pay 9000 bahts for a 2 months extension, it's extorsion.

But here you could just be happy, second covid extension, 1000 bahts extra, wow, good deal no ?

I went today at Buriram too. Had visa exempt, amnesty, and a one month extension normal made in Chiang Mai. I heard them talk about CM, but i do not know what about that.

-> They asked me about letter, i said France does not. Then it was not clear, they asked me for something from hotel, not sure it was someone writing for me (a letter official from hotel, not just the TMxx something). But i asked then "so i just need this letter, photo, and pay, that's all ?". Yep. So i was pretty sure it would be ok, i took the note they write for the hotel, went and came back with a nice letter 2 pages from hotel, no idea what it was.

No issue, done in 10mn, no extra (it was my first covid extension, since i had a "normal extension" previously in CM). 

Point is : STRESS RELIEF, NO NONSENSE OF "UNDER CONSIDERATION", no extra asked to me.

Until 29 january, done today.

Happy now ????

18 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

You were considering a travel for avoiding... 1000 bahts ?... Seriously ? ????

I suppose I still have some morality in me somewhere ????

19 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

-> They asked me about letter, i said France does not. Then it was not clear, they asked me for something from hotel, not sure it was someone writing for me (a letter official from hotel, not just the TMxx something). But i asked then "so i just need this letter, photo, and pay, that's all ?". Yep. So i was pretty sure it would be ok, i took the note they write for the hotel, went and came back with a nice letter 2 pages from hotel, no idea what it was.

No issue, done in 10mn, no extra (it was my first covid extension, since i had a "normal extension" previously in CM). 

I was not told anything about this. None of my paperwork and copies was looked over by the front desk person. Only previous extension was looked at. I'd gladly of provided a letter from hotel if I was asked for one. All of these rules are wishy washy. For you it's provide a hotel letter, for me it's pay up 1000 Baht.

18 hours ago, ThomasPaine said:

I entered Thailand on a visa exempt stamp, then onto amnesty, did a COVID extension with an embassy letter back in September, now I am doing the second COVID extension without embassy letter.

I went into Buriram immigration today. I told the front desk person that ensures all the documents are there that I want to do a COVID extension. She does not look at my copies but looks at the previous extension stamp in my passport. She asks me where my embassy letter is. I tell her that my embassy is not giving out embassy letters anymore. She then tells me that I have to pay an extra 1,000 Baht because of this. Luckily I had went to the ATM to take out extra money since I had a feeling Buriram immigration was going to ask for extra.

I go into the office. Fill out the forms and the COVID affidavit. Paste the photo onto the form. The officer only wanted a copy of my main information page on my passport. I did not need to turn in the copies of the entry card or passport stamps.

Something I also do not understand is the officer wanted a copy of a locals ID. The first time I applied for the COVID extension they also wanted this. Luckily I brought my friend along with me and they copied her ID.

The IO does the processing and issues me the two month COVID extension. I received the extension right away, I did not have to wait two weeks on an under consideration stamp. The IO tells me the total is 2900 - 1900 for the extension and 1000 extra for I am not sure what.

The first time I did the COVID extension Buriram immigration charged me 300 Baht extra for a reason I am not sure. First time 300, now 1000. My TM30 is up to date and so is my 90 day reporting so I know it is not this. This was not a "maybe you should pay 1000" it was a "pay 1000 extra or no extension" situation.

I did not receive a receipt for any of this.

What do you think? 

M
ate ur lucky only 1000 I did the same thing at Ubon immigration and guess what they charged me for 2 month extension due to Covid 3900 baht  Unreal

18 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I think it shows once more, that immigration, who know full well what embassies will and will not provide, are essentially a bunch of money grabbing wretches, happy to fleece anyone unfortunate enough to have to deal with them on anything out of the ordinary..

You are talking about the embassy staff, right?

Count yourself lucky, I was charged 3,900 baht at Ubon IO.

I also had to submit my fiances' housebook and ID card - she spoke to the IO on the phone so they didn't need anything else like a tm30. To be fair, they were super helpful and nice about it. I think it may have been an error as I was the first, or certainly one of the first, to apply for it. One of the IO's is friendly with my fiance and knows her very well.

I did have an embassy letter before the 26th September, but I foolishly chose to extend my tourist visa to do it all in one trip instead of taking the under consideration stamp and going back again to close of the loop. IO are aware I have the letter and have seen it, so it wasn't an extra charge for not having a letter

For me it is either stay in Thailand or go back to my passport country.

I find it strange how, so often, posters on here refer to 'my country' rather than where they are from. Smells of paranoia to me, and really for no reason.

I'm from the UK by the way ????.

35 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Count yourself lucky, I was charged 3,900 baht at Ubon IO.

I also had to submit my fiances' housebook and ID card - she spoke to the IO on the phone so they didn't need anything else like a tm30. To be fair, they were super helpful and nice about it. I think it may have been an error as I was the first, or certainly one of the first, to apply for it. One of the IO's is friendly with my fiance and knows her very well.

I did have an embassy letter before the 26th September, but I foolishly chose to extend my tourist visa to do it all in one trip instead of taking the under consideration stamp and going back again to close of the loop. IO are aware I have the letter and have seen it, so it wasn't an extra charge for not having a letter

Hi I also went to Ubon immigration I got a 2 month extension on my NON O visa due to covid 3900 Baht Now there is something wrong because all the other immigration places are charging1900 Baht for the same extension I did not have an embassy letter the first extension i done as u are entilted to a 2month extension on a NON O visa for 1900 Baht So why is this one 3900 Baht The aussie embassy were to busy to hand out letters

2000 baht, jan 29.   they DID ask for a copy of the email from my embassy.  not a copy of the letter...a copy of the email...subject line, etc...

i guess to check the email address, the attachment, and the wording of the letter...who knows.

maybe they think many deleted this email and they would ask for another 1000.  but i have no idea.

yea, if there wasn't COVID...I would not be happy... HOWEVER, because farangland has massive problems with COVID.....for all we know this 2000/3000/9000 baht is saving our life.

do i actually think this?  of course, not.....if dinosaurs came back and the sun exploded, everyone would die except me.  of course.  

Just now, natway09 said:

But you need to get your ducks in a row for a proper visa next time. Start exploring NOW

i don't think so.....they sort of told me i can do another 60 day extension in the future.  i was 90% sure that is what they were saying.

BUT BUT BUT, yes, of course it's in your best interest to plan immediately and get a proper visa.  

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Phone 1178 and ask them :cheesy:

Yes i will laugh at that suggestion also. My friend rang them to complain about Ubon Immigration charging 3900 instead of 1900 They took his details and said they would ring back That was  a week ago and guess what? No phone call back Just like everything here These agencies are just showcases with no intention to help anybody Just all B?S as usual Oh they did say 1900 was the correct price not 3900 but hey its another rort to bleed the farang so carry on boys :cheesy:

2 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

Yes i will laugh at that suggestion also. My friend rang them to complain about Ubon Immigration charging 3900 instead of 1900 They took his details and said they would ring back That was  a week ago and guess what? No phone call back Just like everything here These agencies are just showcases with no intention to help anybody Just all B?S as usual Oh they did say 1900 was the correct price not 3900 but hey its another rort to bleed the farang so carry on boys :cheesy:

Exactly if you pay them without a receipt there is no proof, as with people being charged for home visits but at least in your own home you can set up cctv. I just parked the car with dash cam running, with a clear view of my terrace so they couldn't get away with it i they tried.

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Exactly if you pay them without a receipt there is no proof, as with people being charged for home visits but at least in your own home you can set up cctv. I just parked the car with dash cam running, with a clear view of my terrace so they couldn't get away with it i they tried.

Yep they said to him where is your receipt He said they did not give him one so that is there way My god its all a game right?I did not get a receipt either They said they will give me one when  i go in after 8 Th December to get another stamp 

20 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

My thoughts exactly

On 11/26/2020 at 12:49 AM, ThomasPaine said:

Having also been ' touched ' recently. I feel your paine. But.....life goes on.

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Best deal I have heard about in years.

I would not be moaning I would be celebrating

But you need to get your ducks in a row for a proper visa next time. Start exploring NOW

I am in the camp that the visa amnesty should have been extended as long as the emergency decree was in place. I am really hoping that at least one SEA country opens up or close by opens up before the end of January. I have no intention of staying here when borders finally open up.

2 hours ago, Happyman567 said:

I firmly believe that this whole COVID situation has made a lot of people reconsider living in Thailand. Before that was the sentiment now COVID has accelerated it. 

11 minutes ago, ThomasPaine said:

I firmly believe that this whole COVID situation has made a lot of people reconsider living in Thailand. Before that was the sentiment now COVID has accelerated it. 

In my case, I did reconsider, but it ended up in Thailand's favor. Given the choice between paying a little bit of money for an extension or enduring a winter Covid lockdown back home, it was a no-brainer!

Some people who lament having to shell out an extra 1000 or 2000 baht could use a bit of perspective.

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

Some people who lament having to shell out an extra 1000 or 2000 baht could use a bit of perspective.

Personally, i'm extremely grateful to be living here, but my issue is that it's not the correct price. Why does everyone who isn't in Ubon pay 2000 less?

Archived