Is dual pricing at Thai golf courses still an issue?

Is dual pricing at Thai golf courses still an issue?

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 15.34.57.png

Image: Screenshot of an 'offer' in 2019 from one golf club in Thailand where dual pricing was in place

Living in Pattaya I can only talk about my own observations, but one of our viewers recently asked if we could post a topic on this thorny subject.

They mentioned that the Navy Courses adopted dual pricing. Maybe so, and I suppose as they were originally opened to allow navy personnel to play, it would be fair to assume that they would get preferential treatment and rates.

That said, when I went to Plutaluang Navy Course last Saturday, and their rates were posted for all to see by reception. Green Fee THB200, Caddie Fee THB300 and Cart THB500. These rates were for weekdays and weekends, until end of December. 

Carts were not compulsory on Weekdays, therefore at THB500 a round weekdays, the club is offering great value already.

Sure, the dual pricing issue, especially at palaces and museums, has been wildly condemned and it would seem public pressure has made a difference.

Golf course owners can be a fickle bunch. Some clubs who rely on golf vacationers, try to keep rates high, but I am sure quietly offer locals a lower rate. 

However, from what I can see, Covid 19 has had a major impact on bookings, and hopefully it is slowly seeing the end of dual pricing.

With prices so low is there any point in clubs offering dual pricing?

But who better to ask than you golfers out there? What are your experiences over the past 6 months?

15 minutes ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

did not think there was a high season this winter????

Nor did I but I have discovered this last week that some courses are definitely raising prices -

Treasure Hill putting their green fee up to 850 in December and all in 1400.

KK said to me today for next week (so December) gf 950 - currently 750 and "promotion" price gf+cf+c 1700 - currently 1250...............

KK = Khao Kheow

Edited by topt

Haven't seen many "foreigner" separate pricing but I guess they diguise it by giving the reduced rate to Thai residents.  I live here and have a Thai drivers license so never an issue to get the lower rate.

The courses do seem pretty slow generally the rates I have been paying are 1/2 to 1/3 of normal rates for this time of year.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Haven't seen many "foreigner" separate pricing but I guess they diguise it by giving the reduced rate to Thai residents.  I live here and have a Thai drivers license so never an issue to get the lower rate.

The courses do seem pretty slow generally the rates I have been paying are 1/2 to 1/3 of normal rates for this time of year.

Your Thai drivers license get you a lower rate where?

37 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes Navy 9 hole courses in Sattahip dual and Tri price. 

Navy people 50 baht

Thai 100-150 baht

Foreigner 250-300. 

It's blatant, they have a price board at the entrance

Can you name those courses...???

Oh yeah, "the country of smile" really friendly and really welcome. Thailand should get reward with this. They got covig19 reward from WHO and who will reward them for this ??? Maybe human right ? Or UN ?? 

Edited by alianware
15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes Navy 9 hole courses in Sattahip dual and Tri price. 

Navy people 50 baht

Thai 100-150 baht

Foreigner 250-300. 

It's blatant, they have a price board at the entrance

Can hardly call it a golf course. Goat track yes!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Darkside Gray said:

Can hardly call it a golf course. Goat track yes!

Yes, I do think it is very low for anyone to complain about reduced cost for military personnel.  It is common place worldwide just a deserved benefit for serving their country. Reduced costs for locals for many activities are not uncommon in many countries.

Those course options are mostly for high handicappers or those who cannot afford the green fee, caddie fee at a real course. But, it is less then 10 bucks sad if people even complain about that.