Paypal problem, are they really that bad ?

kingofthemountain

17 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

i have done the research on internet

and discovered hundreds of people having the same problem as me with no any solution

my paypal account was (And is still) registered in France, i live now in Thailand

as i said the only customer number i have found has just a registered message

asking to loggin to your account to contact them, of course i can not do that as i am

not able to receive the key code on my old phone number (Already canceled)

it will be very kind from you if you can contact them via your account and ask them

what is the solution in my case? Thank you in advance

Of course if you know another way to contact them (Without be loggin to my account)

i am open for any sort of solution or option

Ok, that explains it partly, as the law changed recently regarding security on financial systems in Europe and would account for the change in procedures.

My Paypal is a Thai account and runs through Singapore, yours would probably be handled by Germany Paypal office.

This may be of use +1-402-935-2050  thats the US headquarters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susco said:

A PayPal account is registered to an email account.

I never receive message from PP on my phone, always in my email

yes you are right and i would be more than pleased to receive a safety key via my e mail

registered with my paypal account, but nope they give me no choice it's only via a sms send

on my old phone number, and obviously i am not alone with the same problem

https://support.google.com/googleplay/thread/37483657?hl=en

it's a real nightmare

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

when I originally moved to Thaland I started up a thai paypal account so it would operate from my thai bank account, I still have my aussie paypal but very rarely use it, I access both with log in details only, no pin number is needed but its only common sense to change your phone number to your current one if you change it, I did with my aussie account, why leave a phone number that has been delisted as your contact, own fault really

I had the same problem. I couldn't get into my PayPal account due to a SIM card activation failure but I discovered that I could still spend my PayPal balance on eBay. Consequently, Christmas came early for me this year.

Subsequently, I got my old phone number back using a UK company called Swytch.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 5:10 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Well it seems Paypal have had in the last months a lot of problems with account members being hacked.

Their answer so far has been to put in place a new safety protocol wich consists in sending you a key number 

on your phone, and with this key number you can access to your account.

The problem is if you have changed your phone number in the real life, like it happens to a lot of us on a regular basis 

for multiple reasons, but you don't have updated your new phone number on your paypal account you are not able anymore

to access to your account.

To update your phone number on your account, you need to loggin in the account

to loggin to your account, you need the key number send by paypal on your old phone number

it's a catch 22.

Of course the only way to contact paypal if you have a problem to access to your account

is to send a message using your account, again a catch 22

A lot of people aren't anymore able to access at their money in their paypal account

and it seems there is no any solution to resolve this problem.

I wonder if someone here have the same issue and have been able to solve it

or there is no any solution and it's really a way for Paypal to put the hand on millions of $ ?

Happened to me 3 months ago and today was the first time I got through to them on the phone. Due to covid19 they have been unable to answer most calls as no staff available. 

However I finally reached them and they helped me access my account and changed the phone number for me. 

As of December 9th if you haven't logged in for a year they are going to charge you the lesser of £12 or whatever your balance is. If its a nil balance you won't be charged. So a log in will prevent this happening 

On 11/26/2020 at 9:10 AM, kingofthemountain said:

Well it seems Paypal have had in the last months a lot of problems with account members being hacked.

Their answer so far has been to put in place a new safety protocol wich consists in sending you a key number 

on your phone, and with this key number you can access to your account.

The problem is if you have changed your phone number in the real life, like it happens to a lot of us on a regular basis 

for multiple reasons, but you don't have updated your new phone number on your paypal account you are not able anymore

to access to your account.

To update your phone number on your account, you need to loggin in the account

to loggin to your account, you need the key number send by paypal on your old phone number

it's a catch 22.

Of course the only way to contact paypal if you have a problem to access to your account

is to send a message using your account, again a catch 22

A lot of people aren't anymore able to access at their money in their paypal account

and it seems there is no any solution to resolve this problem.

I wonder if someone here have the same issue and have been able to solve it

or there is no any solution and it's really a way for Paypal to put the hand on millions of $ ?

Never had a problem?  I use them on a weekly basis for all types of transactions. Updated address and updated country and telephone number, no issues?

On 11/26/2020 at 4:10 PM, kingofthemountain said:

I don't see any problems .

Just don't use them Use  COD Or Debit card  just make sure that your debit card hasn't got to much more money then what you need for your purchase online for safety reasons. 

11 hours ago, lelapin said:

I recently received an email advising me that my Paypal account had temporarily been closed and to contact a link in the email to reopen it. I checked my account using the normal method and found that it was still open.

I have received several of these pfishing emails over the past couple of months. I simply forward them to spoof@paypal.com after I, like you did, log in using my normal method.

• Thanks 1

CyberNews has provided the best coverage of potential security issues with PayPal. And in virtually every instance the coverage cited the "hack" was a consequence of tried-and-true social engineering, by way of phishing emails and bogus Facebook Messenger messages. There can certainly be security failings on the part of companies like PayPal, but users protecting the sanctity and sophistication of their own user credentials and educating themselves about how social-engineering scams are perpetuated, will be very unlikely to experience these issues.

Thank you all for your help

thank you also to the others

yes i know it's my fault to haven't updated my old phone number

i have only little money on this paypal account and i use it rarely

(1 time\year) so yes it wasn't a priority for me to up date my phone number

because the phone number wasn't of any use to use the account during the past 10 years or so.

My bad (And bye my money)

yes i could open a new account, still it doesn't help to having back the money stuck in the old one.

And seeing how Paypal handdle this, honestly i have 0 intention to open a new account with paypal.

A special mention to the last commentary, yes the problem is not the hackers nor the safety

measures taken, the problem is the people are dumb to let the hackers do their ''job''

i bet if anyone had a sophisticated alarm system plus a safety guard at his house door

burglaries wouldn't exist, Enstein is back !

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Paypal charge 3%++ commission plus exchange. So when you book on agonda and pay with paypal you are paying almost 15% extra!

The other thing is if you have to refund someone, paypal now keeps that commission rate of 3%+ !!

so don't use paypal for these transactions. problem solved.

i've used paypal for 15 odd years, never paid them a penny to use their service, never had a problem.

• Like 1