Rice, price vs quality

Susco

I only buy rice berry, but my questions actually applies to all kinds of rice.

As I'm single I buy 1kg packs at the supermarket, but see rice berry from different brands at all kind of prices.

Usually I buy the cheapest available, which differs every time, because brands have promotions at different times.

So the last one I bought was Green Nice at 65 Baht for 1 kg, while the other brands were between 100 and up to 150 Baht.

So the question is, does the price really matter, or is all rice berry the same, regardless of price?

For those reading the OP that dont know.....

"Riceberry is a hybrid Thai rice that's nutrient dense and yet it cooks just like regular Jasmine rice. With a stunning purple hue and savory flavor, it's being billed as the next superfood. ... Not only is it loaded with nutrients, it also tastes good and cooks in the same amount of time as regular white rice."

Article

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ezzra said:

For me only Basmati rice, about 90-100 baht a kg and worth every penny, once you go Basmati other rice cultivar pale in comparison...

I agree, but can only find rice imported from Pakistan and India. Where can I buy Thai grown Basmati or similar?

Edited by bigupandchill

33 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

For those reading the OP that dont know.....

"Riceberry is a hybrid Thai rice that's nutrient dense and yet it cooks just like regular Jasmine rice. With a stunning purple hue and savory flavor, it's being billed as the next superfood. ... Not only is it loaded with nutrients, it also tastes good and cooks in the same amount of time as regular white rice."

Rice a superfood? Rice contains Arsenic. I would not call something like this a superfood.