Public Health Ministry hopes to cut salt, sugar consumption in Thailand by 30% within 2022

snoop1130

Public Health Ministry hopes to cut salt, sugar consumption in Thailand by 30% within 2022

By The Nation

800_430a999a43f0d93.jpg

Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit

The Public Health Ministry’s steering committee on the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases has launched the “Together Fight NCDs” campaign in a bid to cut sugar and salt consumption in Thailand by 30 per cent in the next couple of years.

Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit, the ministry’s permanent secretary, told the press on Thursday that the aim is to reduce the number of hypertension and diabetes cases, as well as obesity, in the country.

The committee will start off by launching an app, which people can use to assess the health risks they face.

Health promotion campaigns will also be launched in the public and private sector in a bid to boost people’s health at the corporate level.

A survey conducted by the Department of Disease Control (DDC) in 2019 showed that 43.1 per cent of the respondents did not know they had diabetes, 2.7 per cent did not seek treatment, while 30.6 per cent who underwent treatment did little to control their blood sugar levels.

It also found that 44.7 per cent did not know they have hypertension, 6.1 per cent were not seeking treatment and 19.5 per cent who were undergoing treatment did not control their blood pressure.

A DDC report released in 2014 showed that 8.9 per cent or 4.8 million of the Thai population has diabetes, while 24.7 per cent or 13.3 million people suffer from hypertension.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398630

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-26

• Like 1

Well that will unfortunately be the end of the fabulous Thai deserts sold everywhere.  As a diabetic I give them a wide berth, but then if you watch them cook Larb Moo, or Kao Pad, they laden it with Nam Pla, and the famous dish Thailand is known for "Pad Thai", it is loaded with sugars as well.  Cooking the same dishes at home with substitutions makes it healthier.  However the Som Tam is full of sugars as well as salt, so good tasting but yet so unhealthy.

I wish them much luck, but it sounds like they are following the likes of New York city, and California.  Next up cutting off the coffee carts and doing away with the 3in1 packets......

• Like 1

They should encourage people to look at the list of contents on any packet or bottle that they buy. But that is difficult to do because the writing is generally tiny. You can't make your diet healthier if you don't know what you are eating.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

By The Nation

800_430a999a43f0d93.jpg

Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit

The Public Health Ministry’s steering committee on the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases has launched the “Together Fight NCDs” campaign in a bid to cut sugar and salt consumption in Thailand by 30 per cent in the next couple of years.

Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit, the ministry’s permanent secretary, told the press on Thursday that the aim is to reduce the number of hypertension and diabetes cases, as well as obesity, in the country.

The committee will start off by launching an app, which people can use to assess the health risks they face.

Health promotion campaigns will also be launched in the public and private sector in a bid to boost people’s health at the corporate level.

A survey conducted by the Department of Disease Control (DDC) in 2019 showed that 43.1 per cent of the respondents did not know they had diabetes, 2.7 per cent did not seek treatment, while 30.6 per cent who underwent treatment did little to control their blood sugar levels.

It also found that 44.7 per cent did not know they have hypertension, 6.1 per cent were not seeking treatment and 19.5 per cent who were undergoing treatment did not control their blood pressure.

A DDC report released in 2014 showed that 8.9 per cent or 4.8 million of the Thai population has diabetes, while 24.7 per cent or 13.3 million people suffer from hypertension.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398630

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-26

What about chilli ?

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand should totally ban or tax the hell out of all the high sugar content beverages... watching everyone gulping down the thick syrupy drinks that are available along with the energy drinks... no wonder they are diabetic.

• Like 1

When I first came here I could never get my head around that, order a nice plate of Thai food then they put a load of sugar on it, They dont like it when you tell them not to put sugar on my food, a local place I went to some time ago after me telling her, she must have thought <deleted> you and threw a load on it anyway, I didn't eat it and never went back

Take a look in 7-11, Makro, Tescos, Big C. Take away the unhealthy food: fatty meat, snacks in abundance, fizzy drinks, 3 in 1 coffee with more than 50% sugar content that represents 80% of the coffee they sell, and the stores would have to close as very little else of any use!

And not forgetting just about all restaurants who have an aversion to decent portions of vegetables!

Like most matters of real importance in Thailand, hope and wishful thinking are the best plans they have to change anything for the better.

• Like 1