Subsidies to be doled out to rice farmers on Dec 1

snoop1130

Subsidies to be doled out to rice farmers on Dec 1

By The Nation

800_48efc20fc53f824.jpg

Rice farmers will receive subsidies of Bt500 per rai, up to a maximum Bt10,000, on December 1 this year, the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) said on Thursday.

The measure was approved by the Cabinet during its mobile meeting in Phuket on November 3. More than 4.5 million farmers applied for the subsidy.

"According to the Department of Agriculture Extension information, 4,576,586 rice farmers with 60,817,850.83 rai of cultivated areas registered for benefits under the measure," the bank said.

Rice farmers can check their subsidy transfer status at the website chongkho.inbaac.com by using their ID card number.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398622

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-26

The purpose of a business is to make a profit, not become a burden to the tax payer. Propping up this failed system only assures a deeper, longer cycle of poverty for these poor farmers who deserve a whole lot more than a measly 500 baht for all their work. As long as the government keeps doing this, farmers will never change to more efficient, profitable, sustainable systems and just fall further behind other countries.

• Like 1

My understanding is that many of the rice farmers 'rent' the land or are tenant farmers. The people that get most of the subsidies are the land owners and they live in big houses doing nothing.

I know that quite a lot of TV readers are involved in this with their families.

I would be more than happy to hear that I am misinformed.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

My understanding is that many of the rice farmers 'rent' the land or are tenant farmers. The people that get most of the subsidies are the land owners and they live in big houses doing nothing.

I know that quite a lot of TV readers are involved in this with their families.

I would be more than happy to hear that I am misinformed.

Same in the EU too. Land owners evict tenants and then not farm as the subsidy is more than the rent

• Like 1

I knew a girl who was very rich and liked to show off her wealth. She was studying at uni so I asked what her parents did for a living. She said they were "rice millers".

Who'd have thunk the disparity between a rice farmer and a rice miller could be so big? 

Edited by rkidlad

16 hours ago, fangless said:

Didn't an ex female PM get overthrown and then done in court for illegal rice subsidies ?

Yes but..... these are hard times and the Thai rice market is dead due to poor quality and better priced competition. Subsidies are easier than changing production methods or varieties.

Plus we have a new master at the helm.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 6:26 PM, fangless said:

Didn't an ex female PM get overthrown and then done in court for illegal rice subsidies ?

But was freely elected in a democratic election which of course the current prat wasn't and isn't even an MP, so it doesn't count.