Vigo Diesel 2.5 - How many kms maximum ? Do you know any very old vigo ? what breaks when the truck get old ? What is the most expensive to fix ?

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Usually the most expensive thing is the transmission.

300,000+ km is not unusual for diesel engine.

Thank you, do you know how much is the transmission for this car and when it should be changed ?

5 hours ago, JWRC said:

Mine is just over 17 years old, 357,000 on the clock (I bought it new). Apart from Tyres, Battery's I haven't had any major repairs, I have just done the brakes, but I didn't go to Toyota for this as the services are quite a bit more than I can get it serviced elsewhere. The brakes certainly weren't expensive.. I haven't had any other repairs, that's why I will not sell the car, I consider I have had a brilliant run and touch wood I am not jinxing that by writing here.

Engine is ok, no leaking oil ?

Have synthetic oil all its life ? and changed oil every 10000 kms ?

What about the transmission ?

Thanks again.

I had a 2008 3.0L Vigo until 2018.  Changed tires, battery, Toyota service until about 90k, then just changed oil.  I sold it at 180k km and bought my 4th Toyota truck.  Never a major problem.  I was getting an average of 27mpg on the 3.0.  On my 2018 2.2L Revo, I'm getting 38mpg (conservative driver).  The truck easily has as much power as the 3.0.  

6 hours ago, sncoem said:

Engine is ok, no leaking oil ?

Have synthetic oil all its life ? and changed oil every 10000 kms ?

What about the transmission ?

Thanks again.

Engine runs well, very smooth, not a leak anywhere. transmission fine, in the early days oil changed regular, however the last few years has been only when I remember, the last one was about 24,000km.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, JWRC said:

Mine is just over 17 years old, 357,000 on the clock (I bought it new). Apart from Tyres, Battery's I haven't had any major repairs, I have just done the brakes, but I didn't go to Toyota for this as the services are quite a bit more than I can get it serviced elsewhere. The brakes certainly weren't expensive.. I haven't had any other repairs, that's why I will not sell the car, I consider I have had a brilliant run and touch wood I am not jinxing that by writing here.

Am hoping to do the same with my Isuzu, 100.000 + so far, it is a Lorry factory so should be easily possible.
Landcruiser of same age had some issues with drive shaft but have to admit it been used on weekend safaris in the sand quite a few times.
my longest run was a 15+ year Subaru with Petrol engine ( from their Aircraft engineers.) think it is still going 5 years after selling it.
Having said that,  the older the car gets, the more critical the servicing usually becomes,

preventive maintenance and all that.

• Like 2

220,000 om my 11 year old Vigo. Tyres and battery - little else except the ABS lines when the puppy chewed them - twice.

Anticipate keeping it till 300,000 and beyond. Leather seats now really tatty so will get them re-covered when cash allows.

Just change the oil every 10-15K and fill it with diesel when it stops moving. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The power train Toyota has done a lot of work on BUT try & stop one from 140 KMH 

in a hurry. Sad, but they fail badly

Pickups are not designed to be driven at 140 km/hr, that's why one sees quite a few of them on their sides or roof on Thai roadsides. In fact, at that speed in wet conditions it's a given. Handling like a buffalo on roller skates.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2020 at 7:46 PM, sncoem said:

What is the most expensive to fix ?

If it's transmission is an auto tranny then that would be the most expensive repair, but if it is manual then not expensive. But who owned it and what the truck used for. If it was used for business and heavy works, just forget it. You buy a trouble only. But if it was used as a family car and travels then it should be ok. And front end accident is very important if it had any. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 7:46 PM, sncoem said:

cheers,

Do you know any old Vigo Diesel 2.5 ?

How many kms maximum can this can go ?

Do you know any very old vigo ? what breaks when the truck get old ?

What is the most expensive to fix ?

any experience ?

thanks.

A lot depends on ownership, how it's been driven/loaded and servicing.

Driven with care and frequent oil changes they will go to 300,000+ and more if driven with care.

If they've been heavily loaded/used, driven without care, never serviced then half that it will sound like a bag of spanners.

• Like 1

Mine is at 255000 kms, no problems at all over the last 13 years.  But I have replaced the shocks, the engine mountings and recently the clutch, not because they failed but for my own peace of mind.  Very reliable easy to maintain pickup.  Don't sell it !

• Like 1

As said manual or auto? and what year?. What can fail is 5th gear if it has been driven for long periods overloaded in 5th or towing. I presume but im not sure they have a cam belt still which should be changed every 100,000 klm. if you don't know if its been changed change it ASAP. Oil is the blood of the engine, change it and filter every 10,000 klm if synthetic if not 5,000 klm. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 1:26 PM, sncoem said:

Thank you, do you know how much is the transmission for this car and when it should be changed ?

You only change the transmission when it goes bad, and that is probably the most expensive repair outside of the engine itself.

I have no clue how much for an automatic transmission in Thailand maybe 60,000 baht? Someone will have to help you with this price.

Manual transmission would be less.

It would all depend on if a local mechanic can rebuild the transmission or if it can only be done at the dealer?????

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, brianthainess said:

As said manual or auto? and what year?. What can fail is 5th gear if it has been driven for long periods overloaded in 5th or towing. I presume but im not sure they have a cam belt still which should be changed every 100,000 klm. if you don't know if its been changed change it ASAP. Oil is the blood of the engine, change it and filter every 10,000 klm if synthetic if not 5,000 klm. 

if a cam belt breaks engine also breaks ?

is it rubber ?

You guys that have these trucks with over 250,000kms on the clock, you really should replace the shock absorbers and ALL suspension bushes. You will notice a considerably improvement in the way the vehicle drives. Worn bushes become sloppy over time, but very gradually, you won't notice.

On 11/27/2020 at 2:28 AM, kokesaat said:

I had a 2008 3.0L Vigo until 2018.  Changed tires, battery, Toyota service until about 90k, then just changed oil.  I sold it at 180k km and bought my 4th Toyota truck.  Never a major problem.  I was getting an average of 27mpg on the 3.0.  On my 2018 2.2L Revo, I'm getting 38mpg (conservative driver).  The truck easily has as much power as the 3.0.  

2.4 revo:)

On 11/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, brianthainess said:

Vigo belt change is 150,000km, a dash light comes on to tell you it needs to be replaced..

PS. Revo 2.4/8 has a chain...

On 11/29/2020 at 5:02 PM, suhoaswhas said:

if a cam belt breaks engine also breaks ?

is it rubber ?

if a cam belt breaks engine also breaks ?   Sort of, but won't really know until the head is removed and then can assess the extent of the damage.

is it rubber ?  Yes, but reinforced rubber, on that model it is not a chain. 

Edited by PFMills

On 11/27/2020 at 2:28 AM, kokesaat said:

Yeah, I get just over 40mpg with the new Isuzu, I was amazed.

Edited by Yellowtail
clarity

I had an old 2.5l Isuzu TFR  bought it when 7 years old in 1997 for 240,000 bt   and 140,000kms    kept it till 2013    and sold it for 150,000  bt with 618,000 kms   totally bombproof motor   the new owner still using it in Issan 2020  now with over  660,000 kms on it ,,now own an MUX

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, suhoaswhas said:

Nobody has an idea about manual gear box price and timing belt price. including installation ?

thanks.

Few years back, Toyota charged about 6000bht for the belt kit job, I can't remember if that included the water pump.

Gearbox, the scrap yards are probably full of them as pickups are trashed here every day....

• Like 1