Britain says Brexit trade deal can be reached, but not at any cost

snoop1130

Britain says Brexit trade deal can be reached, but not at any cost

frg.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak speaks on Spending Review 2020 and the Office for Budget Responsibility's latest economic and fiscal forecast at the House of Commons in London, Britain November 25, 2020. UK Parliament/Jessica Taylor/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain and the European Union can clinch a Brexit trade deal and the shape of one is clear, but London will not sign up to an accord at any cost, Britain’s finance minister said on Thursday.

With just five weeks left until the United Kingdom finally exits the EU’s orbit, both sides are trying to reach a trade deal that would avoid a tumultuous finale to the five-year Brexit crisis.

“With a constructive attitude and goodwill on all sides we can get there,” finance minister Rishi Sunak told Sky. “It’s clear what the shape of the deal looks like.”

Sunak also told LBC radio that while it was preferable to clinch a deal, “we absolutely should not be stretching for a deal at any cost, that is not the right thing to do”.

European Commission head Ursula von der Leyen said on Wednesday the EU was ready for the possibility of Britain leaving it without a new trade accord despite “genuine progress” in the tortuous Brexit talks.

An official involved in the negotiations said a deal was possible, but not likely before the weekend at the earliest. An EU diplomat said it was more likely to come next week.

The European Commission - where Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier is leading talks with Britain on behalf of the whole bloc - is due to update national envoys to Brussels on the latest in the trade talks at 0800 GMT on Friday.

EU sources said Barnier himself may travel to London later on for more discussions with his British counterpart, David Frost, if there is a chance for a breakthrough.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-26

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

and a 2% drop in GDP - I mean what country doesn’t want that in the midst of COVID ?! 

Brexiteer economics, got to love it ! 

Interestingly it was the EU who suggested. more than once and rather strongly, delaying Brexit due to Covid.

But of course, they're totally prepared and not the slightest bit worried about a No Deal Brexit!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Enjoy it in all its glory. 

I'm as often, quite impressed by the British parliament.

I have shared here the work done by the commissions, which is also of very high quality. 

Is quite sad some posters here rely on Tabloid journalism with outrageous claims in capitals instead of the high quality work of their their own parliament. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Well its true this is not a negotiation between equals, but it won't be between equals when you deal with the USA or with China... even Mexico takes advantage of the position of weakness of the UK. And the Japan deal is crappy. 

I'm sure you realize the prominent place of the UK in the EU has been lost, now it is harder to negotiate internationally. And international negotiations of this kind worth billions and thousands of jobs are no joke. 

Now with a competent negotiating team and honest politicians at the helm, the UK could do much much better. You have neither : the very top civil diplomats have been fired and Boris Johnson is not a top leader in this regard. 

I think you will agree it was not a very good idea for the UK to break a treaty it just signed, making necessary the negotiation of a series of provisions in case the UK is again not true to his word in the future. 

Lord Frost is an excellent negotiator. Barnier would attest to that.

Which treaty have we broken? When did we break it? Oh that's right, we haven't broken any treaty. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Believe me, you can make Frost a Baron and make him National Security Adviser, but that will not make him competent. He is a low-caliber, middle-ranking diplomat whose main strong point was to be a brexiter when everyone else in the FO was able to anticipate what is happening just now four years ago.

He seems to be doing pretty well so far. Barnier has got nothing from him.

You still didn't let me know which treaty we broke, and the date that we broke it. Details please, I'd love to know.

50 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

My opinion on that is that this is completely false, and your adversarial vision of what a international negociation is is very, very far from reality. 

and if we move up the scale to Frost's boss as far as BJ is concerned, he makes the job a middle-ranking diplomat negociating with a stronger party even harder....

image.png

You know Boris is right about some things.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

I'm as often, quite impressed by the British parliament.

I have shared here the work done by the commissions, which is also of very high quality. 

Is quite sad some posters here rely on Tabloid journalism with outrageous claims in capitals instead of the high quality work of their their own parliament. 

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

My opinion on that is that this is completely false, and your adversarial vision of what a international negociation is is very, very far from reality. 

and if we move up the scale to Frost's boss as far as BJ is concerned, he makes the job a middle-ranking diplomat negociating with a stronger party even harder....

image.png

15 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I almost felt sorry for Liz Truss today when Emily Thornburry spent over 5 minutes in the commons documenting Truss's consistent lies and failures over the disastrous UK-Japan trade deal, and pointed out how the UK government's own figures show that the EU-Japan deal is superior. Then I remembered that she is Liz Truss and a Tory, and all sympathy evaporated instantly. 

20201126_200747.jpg

Oh what a shame this wasn't to a packed house.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

but agree with you re Barnier, he is quite simply very very good, he has handled this in an excellent manner since the very beginning

and he does not go astray,

the way he has linked with his superiors and media is just exemplary

Barnier is really top notch the most remarkable work he did was unite the 27 nations in this negociation. This is really a huge huge achievement.

His weakness is he is close to retirement and would like to end his career with a sucess, maybe too much.

So, some in the EU fear he is "too nice" with the UK. The risk is to strike a deal, which then would not be ratified by the UE parliament or would be blocked later...

Frost using twitter to complain publicly he was "disappointed" was perceived in the EU as en un-diplomatic rookie mistake

image.png.e4714ff3416b0c5d7ac21d49cb74b16f.png

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2