Britain says Brexit trade deal can be reached, but not at any cost

snoop1130

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Not so good when you promise not to use the knive and then renege on that promise. On the other hand, I'm sure that if the EU were to renege on a provision in the treaty, Brexiters would treat that violation with tolerance and forgiveness.

Who reneged ?

Date and time please. And link. Much thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will laugh out loud thinking of the wasted hours of argument on Tvisa, when an agreement is cobbled together with 'strict rules of potential future flexibilty' incorporated for both sides. In short agreement the can is kicked into the distance for now ???? as it has  been for the last 4 years ????

26 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Your nuclear missile analogy is a good one.

It's a deterrent. The EU knows if they try to cut up the UK then the gloves come off.

When dealing with the EU you need this type of threat because they have become extremely hostile since we rejected them.

To use another analogy, It's better to have a knife and not need it, than to need a knife and not have it.

Of course, all this could be avoided if the EU grow up and sign a simple mutually beneficial trade deal. That would protect their massive trade surplus with the UK. Let's see if mature heads prevail.

Actually, the EU has something more like a sword and a legitimate one at that. All it has to do is wait until Jan 1, 2021 for the shambles that is the customs disaster to begin. The UK had 3.5 years to prepare for this and it's way behind schedule. Drivers from the Continent won't even bother to come to the UK because the situation will be atrocious on the return journey.

• Like 2

Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak speaks on Spending Review 2020 and the Office for Budget Responsibility's latest economic and fiscal forecast at the House of Commons in London, Britain November 25, 2020. UK Parliament/Jessica Taylor/Handout via REUTERS

I'm flattered that the UK loves Multicultural politicians. Sunak means dog in Thai.

Does that mean Brexit will never happen? 

Edited by teacherclaire

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

pointing it at them and threatening to shoot not so much.

Anyway, as I've pointed out the EU has a potentially huge weapon and the irony is it was manufactured by the UK. Although referring to it as "manufactured" is too kind a word for something that is the product of negligence and incompetence.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Don't have the time, but the date was 9th September 2020.

Bill stages — United Kingdom Internal Market Bill 2019-21

The legislation hasn't even passed yet. It's like accusing someone who is applying for a gun licence of murder. 

No treaty has been broken. Just admit it. I won't hold it against you. ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Anyway, as I've pointed out the EU has a potentially huge weapon and the irony is it was manufactured by the UK.

So on one hand you are saying that the UK having a deterrent is terrible.

Now you are celebrating the fact the EU also has a deterrent.

This is great stuff. Please continue.????

there is now a lot of skepticism in the EU with the advent of a deal, like last July when Johnson said he was going to give some "oomph" to the negociations, now Johnson who was expected to unlock talks did again ...nothing

For me, I'm a bit fed up now, I think it's probably better to go for a no-deal, knowing the UK will come back anyway there's no hurry.

image.thumb.png.93a30e0ca163e04be34929009bd722f3.png

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The legislation hasn't even passed yet. It's like accusing someone who is applying for a gun licence of murder. 

No treaty has been broken. Just admit it. I won't hold it against you. ????

If Johnson does not intend to break the treaty the promise of which he he won a General Election with by proclaiming it would "Get Brexit done" and then signed with much self triumphalism back in January; then what is the point of this Bill?

No doubt you will repeat the line that it is to stop the EU's dirty tricks of cutting NI off from the rest of the UK.

Third time of asking, at least: when have the EU threatened to cut off NI from the rest of the UK?

Will you answer this time?

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

If Johnson does not intend to break the treaty the promise of which he he won a General Election with by proclaiming it would "Get Brexit done" and then signed with much self triumphalism back in January; then what is the point of this Bill?

No doubt you will repeat the line that it is to stop the EU's dirty tricks of cutting NI off from the rest of the UK.

Third time of asking, at least: when have the EU threatened to cut off NI from the rest of the UK?

Will you answer this time?

he can't because the EU Never used  threatening words to make deals

• Like 1