Australia to dismiss at least 10 soldiers over Afghan killings - ABC

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, kingdong said:

<SNIP> perhaps you could explain the source of your knowledge?

Given you apparent interest in the matter I find it unbelievable you haven't informed yourself prior to posting. Accordingly I can only conclude you're trolling. For those who haven't read the report linked below, but heavily redacted...

https://afghanistaninquiry.defence.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-11/IGADF-Afghanistan-Inquiry-Public-Release-Version.pdf

Alternatively...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-19/afghanistan-war-crimes-report-igadf-paul-brereton-released/12896234

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Given you apparent interest in the matter I find it unbelievable you haven't informed yourself prior to posting. Accordingly I can only conclude you're trolling. For those who haven't read the report...

https://afghanistaninquiry.defence.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-11/IGADF-Afghanistan-Inquiry-Public-Release-Version.pdf

Cheers if you,d provided the link before it would have saved all that palaver.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Unfortunately its not all black and white in armed conflicts,especially involving terrorists,still you obviously know best so perhaps you could explain the source of your knowledge?

Try reading the report of the investigation, including those sas soldiers that were there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Of peripheral interest to this board:

FPDA Defence Ministers’ joint statement

Not relevant to the SAS situation. The 5 nations Agreement revolves around the protection of Malaysia/Singapore using particular elements of those participating nations...

Combined Nations at the IADS (Integrated Allied Defence System) radar surveillance on base.

For Australia specific, there is only RAAF (at Butterworth) comprising  Maritime aircraft (Operation Gateway) and direct RAAF logistic (technical/support) on base.

The Army component is and has always been the Involvement of RCB (Rifle Company Butterworth) utilising regular rotation of visiting elements of RAR personnel, never SAS. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

For the snowflakes who are happy to sit in judgement who have never walked in their boots and who struggle to understand how these things can happen Vicey  nails it at about 18 minutes or so

(63) Royal Marines: Mission Afghanistan: Episode 1 - Deadly Underfoot - YouTube

When you are doing multiple tours of these <deleted>holes and losing friends to death or mutilation you become desensitised, not condoning the actions and if guilty they deserve all they get but I can understand it

You're preaching to 'wokeys' mate. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

Not relevant to the SAS situation. The 5 nations Agreement revolves around the protection of Malaysia/Singapore using particular elements of those participating nations...

Combined Nations at the IADS (Integrated Allied Defence System) radar surveillance on base.

For Australia specific, there is only RAAF (at Butterworth) comprising  Maritime aircraft (Operation Gateway) and direct RAAF logistic (technical/support) on base.

The Army component is and has always been the Involvement of RCB (Rifle Company Butterworth) utilising regular rotation of visiting elements of RAR personnel, never SAS. 

Perhaps I should have bolded Peripheral.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If there was one thing I learned in my mercifully brief acquaintance with the military, it is that the army values obedience and the following of orders without question above everything else.. To suggest guys in the army are not followers of rules is laughable. Perhaps they are not lovers of rules; however, they had better be if they know what is good for them. That's why I got out as soon as I could, officers don't take kindly to having their intelligence questioned.

Perhaps you are right, most are in it for the thrill. I don't have a problem with killing enemy combatants in a war. However, when the thrill becomes executing innocent civilians in cold blood, that to me is a loss of moral compass civilized countries cannot afford.

I never said "most are in it for the thrill". For every man in a combat unit there are several in support units, and life for them is not "thrilling". To them the military is, IMO, just a job.

Sigh- I never said we didn't follow rules ( one would not last long if one didn't ) I said that guys didn't join up because they loved rules. It's not necessary to love rules to follow them.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Begs the question of why they are there in the first place, doesn't it?

Permit me to doubt shooting unarmed civilians, as an exercise in ensuring a new recruit achieves their first kill, is a legitimate task. That's cowardice, not bravery.

Unless things have changed a lot no SAS member should be a "new recruit". They used to be recruited from the ranks when I was in the military.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kingdong said:

Did i say those units were responsible for atrocities ?no you did,i pointed out they were militarily successful in doing their jobs.as for your allegation regarding the conduct of aussie sf,s were you there?

No one has been convicted of anything yet. Perhaps we could wait till someone has been before passing judgement. I suppose that is too much to hope for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Begs the question of why they are there in the first place, doesn't it?

Permit me to doubt shooting unarmed civilians, as an exercise in ensuring a new recruit achieves their first kill, is a legitimate task. That's cowardice, not bravery.

Excellent question. Al Qaeda hadn't attacked Australia to my knowledge, so why are the Australian SAS still in Afghanistan?

Let America fight its own wars without us getting involved in them for decades.

I have no idea why Australia would still be there, other than for training purposes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Excellent question. Al Qaeda hadn't attacked Australia to my knowledge, so why are the Australian SAS still in Afghanistan?

I have no idea why Australia would still be there, other than for training purposes.

NATO

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Either with us or against us, kind of determined oz would go. 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK, but why is NATO there many years after Al Qaeda was defeated in Afghanistan? The Afghan army isn't going to invade Europe any time soon.

October 2020:

Al-Qaeda is still "heavily embedded" within the Taliban in Afghanistan, in spite of a historic US-Taliban agreement earlier this year, a senior United Nations official has told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54711452

Plus IS is active in Afghanistan

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sujo said:

Perhaps educate yourself first.

I did, I spend 11 years in the army, 9 years in the elite as an NCO and a couple years more in the reserve after I left active duty. Did not read the report, can very well imagen what happened and how the report was written. It happened before and it will happen again.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I did, I spend 11 years in the army, 9 years in the elite as an NCO and a couple years more in the reserve after I left active duty. Did not read the report, can very well imagen what happened and how the report was written. It happened before and it will happen again.

So you didnt read the report and its sad you dont umderstand it. Sas thinks its wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

So you didnt read the report and its sad you dont umderstand it. Sas thinks its wrong. 

I (and some others on this forum) understand very well what went wrong, but unlike you I (we) don't need to read the report for that.

Edited by SomchaiCNX
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I (and some others on this forum) understand very well what went wrong, but unlike you I (we) don't need to read the report for that.

Education is a wonderful thing. Those that where there considered it wrong, ex sas commander considered it wrong, army chief considered it wrong, 4 year inquiry with witnesses consider it wrong.

By your own admission you know nothing of what occurred, but you disagree, got it..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

While I was not in any "elite" unit, I learned that the desire to "cover one's butt" is high in the officer class, and I too understand very well what went "wrong", and likewise do not need to read the report to understand what is likely in it.

When senior NCOs and officers are prosecuted for failure to control the troops under their command I will have more faith that the inquiry isn't the usual cover up.

Sadly non military will probably never understand what goes on in higher military circles, or that superior officers are responsible for everything that happens below them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, simple1 said:

October 2020:

Al-Qaeda is still "heavily embedded" within the Taliban in Afghanistan, in spite of a historic US-Taliban agreement earlier this year, a senior United Nations official has told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54711452

Plus IS is active in Afghanistan

Given the allies are not winning against the taliban as long as a certain country provides safe refuge, something needs to change or they are just wasting lives of good men, and throwing good money after bad, IMO.

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They where doing the same as the Kiwis.

19 hours ago, Olmate said:

NATO

Which has nothing to do with the ANZACS.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Training?

Showing the septics how it's done properly - sadly those deployed included these sad bastards (although I have no doubt the constant rotations helped turn them into those sad bastards).

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

that should not be taken as me believing the OP.

Read the report, look at the footage, listen to the witnesses.

Edited by Salerno