Australia to dismiss at least 10 soldiers over Afghan killings - ABC

snoop1130

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the allies are not winning against the taliban as long as a certain country provides safe refuge, something needs to change or they are just wasting lives of good men, and throwing good money after bad, IMO.

Given a Pakitani security agency is known to have provided support for the Afghan Taliban for years, including rewards for killing NATO soldiers one has to wonder what are the geo political factors at play. On the other side of the coin Pakistani military have had major losses, as well as killing significant numbers of Islamists -strange world. To compound matters Western forces leadership has been know to mislead civilian leadership; refer Afghanistan Papers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan_Papers

Throughout the Afghan War there has been a tremendous amount of BS baffles brains, which some have readily swallowed,

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Why not? The Kiwis where also there along with numerous other countries; so to state "NATO"  as being the reason the Aussies where there is blatantly incorrect.

So your saying Oz followed NZ  and other countries .

13 minutes ago, Olmate said:

So your saying Oz followed NZ  and other countries .

What part of my post are you having trouble understanding? Australia obviously isn't in NATO therefore your post:

22 hours ago, Olmate said:

NATO

is incorrect which is all I was saying.

• Like 1

This is not going over well with the general public, the Teflon tag team at the top needs to be held accountable, keeping in mind that some of those supposedly murdered were firing AK47 at the troops the week before and the females got caught carrying stuff under their gowns , helping the Taliban. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, chainarong said:

This is not going over well with the general public, the Teflon tag team at the top needs to be held accountable, keeping in mind that some of those supposedly murdered were firing AK47 at the troops the week before and the females got caught carrying stuff under their gowns , helping the Taliban. 

I wonder how some of the posters on here would manage living in a population where everyone you see probably wants to kill you. Better men than I have cracked.

IMO the real crime is sending men there in the first place when there is no end in sight, just endless war and death.

At least in Vietnam the troops had some options for "relief" of tension, but I understand it's not available in Afghanistan.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Better men than I have cracked.

There's a difference between an individual(s) cracking and a systemic breakdown in discipline leading to ignoring the rules of engagement over a number of years.

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

There's a difference between an individual(s) cracking and a systemic breakdown in discipline leading to ignoring the rules of engagement over a number of years.

Perhaps they stayed there far too long. They should start by deciding if the consequences are less or more than the benefits of staying. Then they should look at having regular psychological evaluations of everyone in combat units and send those at risk home. Then they should do a complete shakeup of the command structure- if this was not known by high command long ago then the system is broken.

IN MY OPINION.

20 minutes ago, Salerno said:

If there was a systemic breakdown in discipline leading to ignoring the rules of engagement over a number of years, that's down to the commanders. How many of them will be courts martial ed for failure of command?

Seems to me that some don't realise that superior officers are responsible for everything under their command. It's not civvy street.

To put it simply, corporals are responsible for every junior rank in their section, platoon sergeants are responsible for everyone in the platoon, and so on up the command structure. Nothing should happen without a superior knowing about it. If it does that's because the superior didn't do their job properly.A single incident might get overlooked, but no way something on the scale that's being described can happen unknown by higher.

I'm not sure if SAS has anyone that isn't at least a lance corporal, but the principle is the same.

On 11/26/2020 at 9:38 PM, mike787 said:

Why dismiss the best, we need these men to save and protect us from HELL.  

We had no business invading Iraq or sending troops to Afghanistan anyway. Also, as a Brit, nothing to do with "The defence of the Realm". We created a "Hell" in Iraq that didn't exist before.

• Haha 1