Hijab-wearing supermodel Halima Aden quits fashion industry

snoop1130

Hijab-wearing supermodel Halima Aden quits fashion industry

bftgjh.PNG

Aden first made headlines in 2016, when she was the first woman to wear a hijab in the Miss Minnesota USA pageant [File: Brendan McDermid/Reuters]

Halima Aden, the Somali American model, said she is leaving runway fashion shows because the industry has forced her to stray away from her religious beliefs.

In a series of Instagram story posts, the 23-year-old spoke about how the job made her more detached from her identity.

“I can only blame myself for caring more about opportunity than what was actually at stake,” wrote Aden, one of the first models to wear a hijab while representing mega fashion labels.

Despite her success as a Black Muslim woman in the industry, Aden said she often felt pressured, as she described feeling uncomfortable during photoshoots.

Full Story: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/11/26/lost-their-soul-to-fashion-model-halima-aden-quits-industry

“Aden’s modelling contract includes her hijab, as she has made it a non-negotiable part of her work.

Aden has spoken out about difficulties she faces in booking modeling jobs that are not accommodating to the fact that she wears the hijab. She described positive experiences as with Maxmara, where looks were specifically designed for her considering her clothing choices. Aden reaffirms that she does not need to conform to society’s standards in order to be a successful model.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halima_Aden

Glad she made a choice that keeps her identity without bending to some decadent society/commercial demands .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

where is race mentioned? Islam is not a race anyway and as far as women are concerned is an oppressive ideology, The hijab is the equivalent of slave chains and it sickens me to see little kids from 3 up forced to wear these things in Thailand.

wow WOW the hatred against over 1 billion people...how dare you!?! You don’t know Islam and his benefits to society. The people of the Islamic faith have unique and enduring experiences which you should learn to destroy your inherent bias and prejudice against innocent people! Truly your a man of the past not the present. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Stick to facts and not fairy tales, religion is a man made and invented by humans. Nothing to do with being hatred. I employed people from all religions, I told them in advance I was an atheist up to them to accept this or work somewhere else. Please ask people in Europe how they think about your religion after all these deadly attacks in the name of your religion. Ask them what they think about wanting to introduce sharia law. 

All I’m saying is that we need to do better. We need to be more understanding of our differences and be more accepting to those differences. Unfortunately your ideas are nothing more than prejudiced misconceptions. You paint a very wide brush against hundreds of millions of innocent people. In order to make our society more inclusive we need to stop holding onto our dogmatic biases. Those are the main threats to a peaceful and functioning society. Please be a better human being, devoid of racism, hatred and intolerance. We need to come together for unity. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ShindenGo said:

All I’m saying is that we need to do better. We need to be more understanding of our differences and be more accepting to those differences. Unfortunately your ideas are nothing more than prejudiced misconceptions. You paint a very wide brush against hundreds of millions of innocent people. In order to make our society more inclusive we need to stop holding onto our dogmatic biases. Those are the main threats to a peaceful and functioning society. Please be a better human being, devoid of racism, hatred and intolerance. We need to come together for unity. 

Again, no one is being racist. The woman is a fool for believing fairytales which prevent her coming 

“together for unity” with anyone but her own twisted kind. 

4 hours ago, ShindenGo said:

You answer just confirmed what I said earlier, brainwashed since birth. You are welcome to my home if you can accept that I do not believe. I helped many people regardless their religion. You do not need any religion to be a good person. Actually as a non believer live is even harder as you can not ask help nor blame your imaginative god. Tell your brothers to stop blowing up other people who have another opinion and we are a step in the right direction.  

• Like 1

I suppose she can be praised for sticking with her beliefs. But, she has to understand the PR issue the Islamic faith faces, at this point in time. Though I consider 95% of Muslims to be moderate, many do not speak out against extremism, and many of the Islamic world leaders, celebrities, and voices that can and should be heard, do not seem to make enough of an effort to denounce the hatred, the nonsense, and the intolerance of branches of Islam, like the Wahhabis. So, when she complains about a lack of opportunity due to the Hajib, one can understand why many companies are hesitant. 

On 11/27/2020 at 6:13 PM, Orton Rd said:

where is race mentioned? Islam is not a race anyway and as far as women are concerned is an oppressive ideology, The hijab is the equivalent of slave chains and it sickens me to see little kids from 3 up forced to wear these things in Thailand.

Those parents that force girls to wear such before puberty don't even know their own religion ( unless it's cultural wherever they come from ). In Saudi girls do not have to cover till they have their first period. One expects the Saudis to know something about Islam.

• Like 1