Getting Married in Thailand/Having UK married recognised

Luke1234

Hi,

I am a British Citizen and have been married to a Thai Citizen in the UK since 2017, the wedding was a UK legalised wedding. We are now looking at getting our UK marriage legalised for Thailand so it is recognised in Thailand however are unsure what documents we require as when we checked it says you need a freedom to marry document in order to prove you are single and able to marry however the problem is that neither of us are single in the UK as we are married to each other...although in Thailand we are legally single because UK marriages aren't recognised in Thailand.

Also I am wondering is it possible to get the UK marriage legalised for Thailand in the UK or do we need to travel to Thailand to get this done?

I did get the Thai Royal Embassy London website however it isn't very helpful and the staff there are even less helpful so I am looking at other options for getting the information I need in order to get this sorted. Any help and information you can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

15 hours ago, Luke1234 said:

Hi,

I am a British Citizen and have been married to a Thai Citizen in the UK since 2017, the wedding was a UK legalised wedding. We are now looking at getting our UK marriage legalised for Thailand so it is recognised in Thailand however are unsure what documents we require as when we checked it says you need a freedom to marry document in order to prove you are single and able to marry however the problem is that neither of us are single in the UK as we are married to each other...although in Thailand we are legally single because UK marriages aren't recognised in Thailand.

Also I am wondering is it possible to get the UK marriage legalised for Thailand in the UK or do we need to travel to Thailand to get this done?

I did get the Thai Royal Embassy London website however it isn't very helpful and the staff there are even less helpful so I am looking at other options for getting the information I need in order to get this sorted. Any help and information you can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Thailand recognises UK legal marriages.

If you are legally married in UK then you are regarded as married in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 3:12 AM, Luke1234 said:

Hi,

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you. 

A legal UK marriage does not need to be registered in Thailand. If you need to use your UK marriage certificate in Thailand, for example for a visa based on marriage, your marriage certificate will need to be legalised. More information about this process can be found here.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714089/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

Hope this is helpful.