Don’t rush to open the country, warns former WTO chief

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

He pointed out that Western countries are loosening and re-imposing lockdowns in a cycle that is resulting in a large number of infections and deaths, as well as severely hurting economies.

True, but why is he cherry picking western countries? There are other countries they could certainly open up to

“Thailand should gradually open the country, because human resources are the most important factor. It takes about 20 to 30 years for human development, and if those people die it will be very difficult to restore the lost human resources,” he said.

So get it open then, gradually. And the rest is BS

Saving lives is the best way to aid economic recovery post-Covid-19, said Supachai, who is also a former secretary-general of the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).

Not as far as covid19 is concerned. If you succumb to it and your life is saved, great. But its almost 100% certain you wont be contributing to the economic turnaround if your 70odd or riddled with an underlying issue!!

The government has opened the country to a limited number of foreign tourists, in a bid to help tourism recover from the devastating impact of the virus.

A limited number of tourists aint gonna turn the economy around . . . oh dear this guy is as useless as the rest 

Meanwhile he urged the central bank to raise the interest rate since its low level of 0.5 per cent was hitting savers’ income.

Looking after the already wealthy haha oh my god, so transparent. This whole OP is awash with blatant disregard for their own people

Welcome to Chailand

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShindenGo said:

People believe that this is some economic policy-induced recession. It’s not. It’s a choice-recession and when we decide to unchoose the choice then the economy will rebound! If it’s economic like Bush’s disastrous economic policies that caused the worldwide depression or like Trumps economic policies that brought the US to ruin then yes it will last years. But this is not the same.

How sad that in a topic about covid in Thailand you couldnt help yourself prattle on about 2 republican US presidents!!! Your BPM must be through the roof

9 hours ago, meechai said:

You say you have common sense on the one hand but do you?

"common sense" = "a common-sense approach"

good sense and sound judgment in practical matters.

On the surface most might say yes but....

Is a virus with a 9x.xx% survival rate in otherwise healthy people worth the effect/destruction of economies achieved thus far?

I have a wealth of no idea & am glad it is not my decision to make but watching it does not appear to me anyway to be a common sense approach

Survival yes, but what are the longterm health problems in many even in young people? Thailand doesn't have any rehab infrastructure for post Cov19 treatment. Our hospitals are not full of old folks above 70 but the average age in ICU is in the 40ties at present. This is an age group supporting families and is part of the work force. 

Apart from this, every person has a right to be protected. Think: you may be just one of those 0.1% who ends up in a box. 

8 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

May be if a working vaccine is found , potential tourists who have been vaccinated and tested can be allowed to board a plane and enter the country without quarantine ... but for the moment it is still far too early for that .

That's when I will be coming back 

7 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

I am over 70 and spend more than 100,000 per month.  I think that makes some contribution to the economy.

Every spending, at whatever age, is a contribution to the economy.

There is no amount or/and age fixed to be considered as a superior contributor.

• Like 1

It takes about 20 to 30 years for human development, and if those people die it will be very difficult to restore the lost human resources,” he said.

He should know better than most, that the C19 flu is NOT killing folk on mass - there has been relatively low numbers (%age wise) dying, what a stupid comment - designed for nothing more than scaremongering. 

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:
14 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Rush 555, 8 months now and counting with nothing much on the horizon apart from 3 month tourist visa 14 days ASQ. After watching a few videos on ASQ tonight on YouTube, it's not for me and nor is the limited tested vaccines. 

Maybe you should rethink it.

Sunny and warm here great golf and beach weather, places are open with minimal Covid inconveniences.

But hey, if you prefer to be stuck in the cold and wet in a locked down country with with high hospitalizations and deaths and no Covid relief in sight possibly for many months, then good luck.

Sounds totally depressing to me. So happy to be in LOS.

I can fly to the Canary Islands from the UK after Dec 2nd and only have to fill in an online form. Nice and sunny and plenty of golf - not as hot as Thailand but only 4 hour flight from UK. I'll leave Thailand until the vaccines all kick in and entry is less restricted.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Western countries are loosening and re-imposing lockdowns in a cycle that is resulting in a large number of infections and deaths, as well as severely hurting economies

He is right there .

This is very true and getting worst in the U.S.

human resources are the most important factor. It takes about 20 to 30 years for human development, and if those people die it will be very difficult to restore the lost human resources,

That statement is cynical and cold .

It does not seem that they care about lives in this country. More have died from accidents than COVID-19. 

Meanwhile he urged the central bank to raise the interest rate since its low level of 0.5 per cent was hitting savers’ income.

That is right , again .

This country finance system is crazy. Loan money to the have not so they can take their property  when they already know they can not pay it back on the terms they have. 

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe you should rethink it.

Sunny and warm here great golf and beach weather, places are open with minimal Covid inconveniences.

But hey, if you prefer to be stuck in the cold and wet in a locked down country with with high hospitalizations and deaths and no Covid relief in sight possibly for many months, then good luck.

Sounds totally depressing to me. So happy to be in LOS.

Sure it has not affected you or others in a comfortable situation , but what has that to do with the big issue at hand ?

I have yet to see a spokesman for the Thai government explain what help is at hand for the many businesses and millions of Thai citizens severely impacted by this pandemic.

If they keep the borders closed my visa is going to expire, i have to be in Thailand every year to extend it....maybe i should give up on Thailand, they do absolutely nothing to let me be with my wife...i've jumped all the hoops already and now they won't let me in.