Plan to ban 10-wheel trucks from Bangkok streets shelved

webfact

1 minute ago, petermik said:

His holiness the PM said last year that all vehicles emitting excessive pollution would be taken off the roads and scrapped... guess he forgot to notify the relovent departments...????

Brown envelopes are being burnt instead ????????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chassa said:

Guess there are no cars with dirty exhausts in Thailand.

I mainly see dirty smoke from lorries, pickups and buses. They use the roads more often. In the UK and most developed countries taxis have a 3 monthly check up like an MOT test which would pick up dirty exhaust pipes. Motorbike drivers who take their baffles out of their exhaust pipes are also a big problem. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr mr said:

crop burning is the majority of the pm problem not trucks. 

That's the 5000 kg. Gorilla in the room that they are hoping people are stupid enough not to notice. 2.5 PM pollution is far worse in the north and north east. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

A proposal to prohibit trucks with more than 10 wheels from running in Bangkok areas, in a bid to reduce PM2.5 air pollution, will be postponed indefinitely to avoid causing an impact on the industrial and transportation sectors.

I really do wish they'd think before speaking... we all knew it wouldn't happen as soon as they said it was being considered.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mr mr said:

crop burning is the majority of the pm problem not trucks. 

There's no crop burning where I live "unless you want to count a million or so BBQ's" it's similar in effect, but PM2.5 levels are high.. construction sites account for some, decrepit old buildings where concrete is falling off adds to some more... the rest are vehicles that are not running clean.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

There's no crop burning where I live "unless you want to count a million or so BBQ's" it's similar in effect, but PM2.5 levels are high.. construction sites account for some, decrepit old buildings where concrete is falling off adds to some more... the rest are vehicles that are not running clean.

no crop burning where you are so that's that eh ? good grief. 

no need to ban them, charge them a 'pollution charge' to enter the city, or central area of the city, similar to congestion charges and similar initiatives in other major cities; many wont enter to avoid paying and if they want to come into the city income will be generated for air pollution initiatives

11 hours ago, petermik said:

His holiness the PM said last year that all vehicles emitting excessive pollution would be taken off the roads and scrapped... guess he forgot to notify the relevant departments...????

Brown these days? I remember little white envelopes for "Tea Money" which was large enough to buy the whole tea farm, that is why I pulled out of Thailand until now.

11 hours ago, petermik said:

His holiness the PM said last year that all vehicles emitting excessive pollution would be taken off the roads and scrapped... guess he forgot to notify the relovent departments...????

Brown these days? I remember little white envelopes for "Tea Money" which was large enough to buy the whole tea farm, that is why I pulled out of Thailand until now.

6 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

We talking about Bangkok and not the north

are you really that obtuse ?

explain how the pm shoots up and down at certain times of the year in bkk with the same amount of bbqs and cars on a daily basis. you ever drive out kanchanaphisek rd ? all the way from near swampy past khlong luang there are farms and rice fields along the highway. 

crop burning is everywhere in this entire region of the world. then there are these things called wind and weather patterns. 

On 11/27/2020 at 8:54 AM, webfact said:

''We will send officers to perform random checks at bus terminals and truck operation centres.''

They need special inspectors not just cops, checking exhaust on tick over is as good as useless, pedal to the metal and it should clear when the diesel pump governors kick in. The old technology of placing a white board next to the exhaust used to work fine in the UK. And brakes here are never tested with a full load. Overloaded vehicles here are the main problem causing black smoke. 50yrs ago as part of my job i used to take trucks for testing on a regular basis in the UK.