Education Ministry’s ‘haircut enforcer’ becomes unwitting target of students’ anger

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

After all, the cost of shampoo, haircuts and anti-lice medication is something many underprivileged rural families will be familiar with.

So let these poor parents decide what’s the best length for their kids’ hair. Not teachers with a superiority complex.

Back when I was a kid, I always had long hair as my mum was frugal and didn’t wanna pay for haircuts. The price of shampoo was never an issue as you can buy large containers of shampoo/body wash for next to nothing. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, djayz said:

It never ceases to amaze me how they are more concerned with the outside/image, yet don't consider the inside/content. 

With the abismal state of education here, haircuts are the least of their problems. 

Fascinating culture, is'nt it! ???????? 

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2020 at 2:15 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

How would you like it if i got my garden shears out the shed and went to town on your bonce?

leave the kids alone you tyrannical dinosaurs! 

Precisely.

I'm sure his comments were well intentioned but this is just another example of how those in power are so detached from modern society with their Authortorian values that no wonder they are ridiculed the world over.

What Thailand really needs is a young, fresh dynamic, outward-thinking Goverment who can take the country forward. Those currently in power only know one way. The same way as its been for the past 100 years or so.

On 11/27/2020 at 7:22 AM, kingstonkid said:

Appearance is very important to young people.  Just look at the things they buy.  There are reasons for the hair rules and I understand what they were for.  The early rules were as the person said because of maintenance and control of things.  HOWEVER, times have changed.  I taught in a school that did not have hair regulations for the girls and we had some interesting color creations.

We also had some interesting jewelry such as ear rings not the normal ones but the ones that make the lobes bigger and you can attach a chain to to hold the student in lace LOL.

I think a relaxing of the hair rules in high school may be worth while to trial in a few schools.  

however, cleanliness and style( control and appearance) should be kept in consideration.

I disagree with the desire to get rid of the uniforms.

Uniforms furst of all are something that almost all of us wear.  

Also once you get rid of the uniforms it then becaomes more expensive for parents as there then is the peer pressure.  The haves against the have nots.  With uniforms there is at least a partial level playing field

I fully agree with you. I was brought up in relative poverty in 50's and 60's the UK, my mother was given help by a charity to buy the school uniform. The school uniform meant that I was not singled out for bullying and derision by the kids from more affluent families. There was no competition to wear the most fashionable and expensive clothing the uniform was only worn at school. There was no hair policy and sometimes that created problems since long hair was very fashionable for boys but some parents would not allow it so boys with short back and sides were derided

Edited by RobU
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, Chelseafan said:

Precisely.

I'm sure his comments were well intentioned but this is just another example of how those in power are so detached from modern society with their Authortorian values that no wonder they are ridiculed the world over.

What Thailand really needs is a young, fresh dynamic, outward-thinking Goverment who can take the country forward. Those currently in power only know one way. The same way as its been for the past 100 years or so.

Only 100 years?   More like 500.  It's still a feudal country underneath.  As others have said, most things here are just a veneer 

If the Americans hadn't come along with the Vietnam war 50-something years ago and injected billions of dollars into the country, it would still be like Laos and Myanmar.