The cost of international health insurance - not Thailand-based health insurance

JimHuaHin

For friends in the USA and any expats who have private health insurance with a US-based company.

I have just received a renewal notice for private international health insurance which I have with a US-based health insurance company (I have had this insurance for 8 years).

The renewal premium is 163.5% higher than last year!!! I expected a small increase in the premium as I am a year older and because of COVID-19, but not a massive 163.5% increase.

Has anyone had a similar recent experience with increased medical insurance premiums?

Many thanks in advance.

18 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:
For friends in the USA and any expats who have private health insurance with a US-based company.

I have just received a renewal notice for private international health insurance which I have with a US-based health insurance company (I have had this insurance for 8 years).

The renewal premium is 163.5% higher than last year!!! I expected a small increase in the premium as I am a year older and because of COVID-19, but not a massive 163.5% increase.

Has anyone had a similar recent experience with increased medical insurance premiums?

Many thanks in advance.

Did you contact them and ask why?

How old are you?

Indeed you probably jumped an age band but even so, this is a large increase.

US based insurance is always much, much more expensive than international expat policies issued from other western countries and there is seldom any advantage to having a policy from a US based company.

I would suggest you consider a change of insurer unless you are locked in due to pre-existing conditions.

If you need cover in the US (for more than short visits) then Cigna Global (not Cigna US!!!) Close Care policy would be the most affordable option, it will provide cover in both Thailand and USA (and short term cover for emergencies while traveling elsewhere).

Otherwise, an expat policy that is worldwide excluding US will usually be the best value (and will usually still cover you for emergency care during short visits to the US).

It is strongly advised to go through a good broker not only for the most complete advice in choosing a policy but also for the aftercare: they will assist with any issues that may arise regarding a claim or getting pre-authorization for hospitalization.

I use AA brokers   www.aainsure.net

Query re new cost of stateside insurance.  I retired fm federal service 18 years ago and maintain the same insurance co which covers me in Thailand also w/4 preferred hospitals alone in Chiang Mai - more in Bangkok.  I receive a notice each year during the "open season" when I can opt to change my insurance coverage and also they provide the cost of next years premiums - the average increase in this group of companies is 5% while my particular coverage is 3.5% more than current premium.  This is with BlueCross/Blueshield .  

I am US citizen but no way will pay US company for insurance.

Last couple years I have Cigna Global policy referenced by Sheryl.  It is about 1600 USD for me and entire family of 5 (Dad, Mom, 3 little ones) just under 5000 USD for one year, have seen no noticable increase.  Covers every where in world including US if we happen to be visiting.

I am satisfied customer.