Covid extension confusion

Morning guys,

So this morning I went to Ubon immigration to extend my stay for another 60 days because I am unable to renew a visa in the region and do not want to return to the UK. I arrived and firstly spoke to an officer outside. To my horror she said sorry but cannot do any extensions because ive already used an embassy letter once and cant do it again. My wife explained that the last time I extended (with the embassy letter) the officer said to me that next time I can come back and extend for 60 days WITHOUT an embassy letter, and only need to sign a form stating the reason for the extension. To my further horror this lady had absolutely no idea what I was talking about and kept on banging on about embassy letters. I took my passport and went straight into the office where thankfully I found an officer who spoke English. Hey presto within a few minutes the correct form was in front of me and advised to come back this afternoon to recieve the 60 days for a cost of 3900.

So the purpose of this post is 2 fold. Firstly to repeat the advice that its always best to ask someone else in these offices because clearly not all staff are briefed. Secondly, this is a question to members. Which is, should this extension be 1900 baht or 3900 ?? If its 3900 then so be it but i thought 3900 was for yearly extensions ?

Thanks

28 minutes ago, PhoSai said:

Thanks, and yes thats what I thought.

It should be 1900 baht but they want 3900 baht. You are not the first one that has been told and paid the 3900 baht.

I am aware of a person that called 1178 to try and sort it out. They told him they would investigate it but apparently it has not been sorted out yet. 

Another person paid the 3900 baht earlier this week and got the extension to January. He is planning applying for the one year extension next time.

Not sure what you can do about the fee.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It should be 1900 baht but they want 3900 baht. You are not the first one that has been told and paid the 3900 baht.

I am aware of a person that called 1178 to try and sort it out. They told him they would investigate it but apparently it has not been sorted out yet. 

Another person paid the 3900 baht earlier this week and got the extension to January. He is planning applying for the one year extension next time.

Not sure what you can do about the fee.

Thanks and yes it seems like she was trying it on. If it stays at 3900 then so be it, im not going to forgo the extension for 2000 baht. I just thought it was worth a mention.

yeah you got trumped..

this was the classic "art of the deal" negotiation tactic:

first contact lays out the worst case scenario and says no compromise (in your case no more extensions)

second contact provides a compromise "solution" where both parties "win-win"

little does the "mark" know the win-win was the goals all along.. ????

nevermind mate. look on the brightside you got your extension!

7 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

yeah you got trumped..

first contact lays out the worst case scenario and says no compromise (in your case no more extensions)

Yep, looks that way. I am going back at 13.00 to get it done so lets see if i can get it for 1900. If not then its not the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, PhoSai said:

Yep, looks that way. I am going back at 13.00 to get it done so lets see if i can get it for 1900. If not then its not the end of the world.

Could you kindly update us on that please? Perhaps they are going to give the 2nd extension for free next time. Try asking them if the 2nd extension also costs 3,900.

4 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Could you kindly update us on that please? Perhaps they are going to give the 2nd extension for free next time. Try asking them if the 2nd extension also costs 3,900.

Will do mate.

22 hours ago, PhoSai said:

Secondly, this is a question to members. Which is, should this extension be 1900 baht or 3900 ?? If its 3900 then so be it but i thought 3900 was for yearly extensions ?

Basically you "bought" your extension.

On a visa extension it costs 1,900 for one year, you paid 3,900 for 60 days.. a 2,000 baht tip for the nice officer.

21 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

yeah you got trumped..

Yup, many versions of this tactic used to coerce the “ mark “ into submission , from the “ good cop , bad cop “ scenario to modern versions like the Dragons Den tv show :

4 Dragons pick holes in the guys invention or business model until “ I’m out “.

Dragon number 5 “ you know you might have something here, but I’m gonna give you 1/2 the money for 3 times the equity “

Downtrodden, despondent ( and ultimately duped ) inventor “ I’ll accept your offer “

Smiles all round !!

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

1900baht.

All extensions are 1900baht.

Be it for 30 days or one year

So the IOs are just ripping people off, don't they answer to anyone at all? We know what the unelected "government" are capable off, and that's just sitting around tables making rules, then allowing other authorities to change the rules for their benefit.

I think the poster has every right to complain, if the normal fee is 1.900 Bt  and the IO charged him 3.900 Bt. If a shop gave you 2000 Bt short in your change, would you just say I got the item I wanted so the 2000 Bt short change does not matter.

Regards Possum

On 11/27/2020 at 9:06 PM, kidneyw said:

I received a second extension in my passport today, after being under consideration for two weeks at CW. It cost me 1900 baht and no embassy letter submitted when I applied.

Which form did they want for your second 60 day extension application? The Affidavit form?

On 11/28/2020 at 10:24 AM, 2530Ubon said:
On 11/27/2020 at 12:01 PM, PhoSai said:

Will do mate.

So, any luck getting the cost down to the correct price 1,900, or any news about a 2nd extension fee? Thanks

Hmmm, did you protest too much and get deported? Hope eveything worked out well!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

The extension was the standard 1900 thb. They have given me the "under consideration" stamp for now. One of the officers called my wife on Wednesday to say it was all confirmed and to come in tomorrow and get the full 60 day stamp.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:24 AM, 2530Ubon said:

So, any luck getting the cost down to the correct price 1,900, or any news about a 2nd extension fee? Thanks ????

So u got stung also mate with the special price Ubon immigration were doing 3900 U can get the second extension apply in january 

Archived