Finance Ministry urges Customs Department to help facilitate businesses

webfact

Finance Ministry urges Customs Department to help facilitate businesses

5c8eb1b30f2ef78fea5a0ef9dfaee6dd_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Finance has stressed the Customs Department’s role in facilitating import-export processes by streamlining tax-related protocols, operating a linked database, and managing a free area in the Eastern Economic Corridor’s (EEC) for international goods distribution.

The Minister of Finance, Arkhom Termpittayapaisith has delivered the Ministry of Finance’s policy on the Customs Department, in his meeting with Customs Department executives.

The Finance Ministry has urged the Customs Department to change its role from a tax collector to an agency that can help facilitate import and export businesses, by shortening the inspection time, improving transparency, and implementing more advanced technology to reduce reliance on customs officials’ discretion.

The ministry has called for the Customs Department to complete the development of the National Single Window, a connected platform for data sharing between related agencies that has long been established but has yet to achieve efficient outcomes, next year. The Ministry of Finance has recommended the Customs Department gather feedback from related agencies to improve the system accordingly.

The Ministry of Finance has instructed the Customs Department to improve its effectiveness in anti-drug operations, by working together with related agencies to reduce the smuggling of narcotics and contraband into the country, and to ensure the cleanliness of parcels and packaging of imported goods to prevent the spread of any virus in the country.

Finally, the Ministry of Finance has ordered the Customs Department to help promote border trade and investment in the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC), which the government expects will help make Thailand a goods distribution hub in the region. To help facilitate this goal, the Customs Department will have to manage a free zone for import and export goods, which will help improve the country’s competitiveness.

nnt.jpg

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Finance Ministry has urged the Customs Department to change its role from a tax collector to an agency that can help facilitate import and export businesses, by shortening the inspection time

I see bigger brown envelopes being asked for in the future.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I see bigger brown envelopes being asked for in the future.

I have it on very good authority ( cough, cough) that that is how it operate presently. Maybe a bit of tweaking necessary.

3 hours ago, yankee99 said:

This must be for bkk. Laem chabang clears containers in 24h after being unloaded 

Not in my recent experience of a month ago with an inbound container. Five days from arrival to clearance at Laem Chabang. Arrived Thursday, cleared on Monday, overtime payment made to customs for clearance, paid by my clearing agents. Unreceipted payment of  2,000 baht with detail of "Customs "on the invoice from clearing agents in addition to the overtime. 

Just one of several bad experiences that I have had importing containers into Thailand, certainly not my worst though by  long shot. I could make some suggestions as to ways of improving things and they go a little further than the headlines above. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ministry of Finance has stressed the Customs Department’s role in facilitating import-export processes by streamlining tax-related protocols, operating a linked database, and managing a free area in the Eastern Economic Corridor’s (EEC) for international goods distribution

Not a hope in hell... too much money to be made.

32 minutes ago, sbf said:

I could make some suggestions as to ways of improving things and they go a little further than the headlines above. 

like changing government for example..... wishful thinking, unfortunately not gona happen 555

57 minutes ago, sbf said:

Not in my recent experience of a month ago with an inbound container. Five days from arrival to clearance at Laem Chabang. Arrived Thursday, cleared on Monday, overtime payment made to customs for clearance, paid by my clearing agents. Unreceipted payment of  2,000 baht with detail of "Customs "on the invoice from clearing agents in addition to the overtime. 

Just one of several bad experiences that I have had importing containers into Thailand, certainly not my worst though by  long shot. I could make some suggestions as to ways of improving things and they go a little further than the headlines above. 

What was the issue your agent, customs or paperwork. My containers are all electronically cleared so there are no custom people involved unless a inspection is called for.