Thai food hygiene: Restaurants told to get their act together or face fines of 50K next month

webfact

2 hours ago, peterdarby said:

Nice timing, hit them up while they are still recovering from the lost income during lockdowns.

Yes, they shouldn't do that. Instead they should force them to pay the hospital bills of all their clientele for food poisoning caused by them. That could be 100s of times more each day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What is everyone talking about? These restaurants he is referring to are the mom and pop shops that all Thai people frequent often because they are very cheap and affordable. Thai people still have to eat and these restaurants are all still very busy during Covid, in fact most are packed full of people.   The touristy places are the ones that are suffering and most of those practice good hygiene. 

• Confused 1

No real excuses, but most restaurants, (not to mention the thousands of ad hoc places where people set themselves up on pavements and in the road), are exposed to the outside, even the kitchens all day and night. It is difficult to control pests, traffic fumes, polluted air and dust coming into contact with food and equipment. But the time has come for these places to be licensed and for there to be regular checks made on the rules that are officially imposed, AND for enforcement of them. Train up people for a new department in the Health Ministry as Inspectors - it will take a while but some day...

This is the price they have to pay for all the years being able to operate in environments that are cheap to run as in many cases no actual premises are involved, and ignoring basic health standards.

We live in hope, but maybe die in despair!

• Like 1

Where I live we have 4 of these local markets operating on different days about 50% food stalls and hygiene is none existent, one day I sent my cleaner to get me some chicken and rice when she came back the chicken was raw I binned it and told her dont buy me food like that, she didn't tell me she was going to the market

3 hours ago, peterdarby said:

Nice timing, hit them up while they are still recovering from the lost income during lockdowns.

It is probably the very best time to " Hit " them.

This should carry maximum impact, and for sure some of the Establishments need a whole lot to be desired in Food Storage, preparation, and most of all Hygiene.

Over the last few Years, I have witnessed a genuine desire to provide better service from many Food Outlets ( Both Restaurant and Street ), but there are still some really Filthy Operations plying their Trade out there, and they need to be stopped.

• Like 1

if i take a short cut to my apartment building i pass through small sois where street vendors store their carts. i see dogs, cats and rats freely running over the carts. i see the local drunks and homeless using the carts to sit on or put/spill their beer, food, etc on. i have never, ever seen a vendor wash or clean their cart before taking it out to use for the preparation and service of food.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have seen many premises that will be impossible to clean . Cannot clean floors with big cracks and missing tiles. Nor filth from ceilings and walls. Nothing short of total renovation required. An impossible task that will never get done.Brown envelope the only way many places will stay open,

• Like 1

I hope proper disposal of waste is taken into account as well! The Chinese restaurant in Khampaeng din road Chiang Mai just dump their waste across the street and let waste water swill across the road! There's usually half a dozen large plastic bags by the end of the night and the footpath swilling in stinking red gunge! It's a total disgrace but nothing seems to be done about it!

• Sad 2