Thai food hygiene: Restaurants told to get their act together or face fines of 50K next month

webfact

My experience of Thai restaurants (the smaller ones at least) is that washing crockery, glassware, cutlery and pots & pans in a bucket of cold water without benefit of detergent seems to be the norm and that is not exactly going to contribute much to germ free hygiene at all!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Is this one of those names modified to sound thai and hide his  family's  recent immigration from  China? 

It is amazing  how poor the  food prep, cleanliness,  and temperature storage is.  And the flies on these drying fish and market meat is disgusting.    Gf seems to get sick once a month.  The runs or reaction from to much msg.  She says can not buy raw  chicken unless first thing in the morning.     Also look at Big C meat and seafood in big bins  and piles  for self service and no refrigeration.   Seafood sometimes iced down some

Reminded me of a time in Oaxaca. There in most of the meat markets the meat was always covered in flies. One morning I was out for my morning walk and passed by the market where most of the "farang" shopped and saw a man spraying all the meat with Raid insecticide.

• Sad 1

While many informal roadside cafes may have more free time to attend training, they are probably closed and unaware of it. It may be better aircon cafes have heard of the training and thought why bother?

Maybe more would attend if a free lunch were included as it would be the only free lunch they will get for a year or so.

They are clueless.  The street food is and always was a major  attraction

I chose Thailand because of the lack of rules, lack of nanny state and control factor.

I have news for them: once Thailand has the same bs as our home countries and becomes as expensive or more expensive than these western countries for what is still a developing 3rd world country it is no longer attractive. Hot sticky with little infrastructure equal to Austria Spain USA etc

For me it is there already. I will  keep the millions of baht I have invested in my wife's name in Thailand.  However I turned off the money tap to Thailand 1 year ago and will not be turning it back on any time soon If ever.

I know they neither need me nor care. But the people around me who used to benefit multiplied several times has a huge "Pascal's traingle" effect.

I will still travel and vacation once  the nonsense comes to an end.

Edited by maprao

Nice idea to get the economy off the ventilator - fine the remaining businesses to death if you can't break them with all the other C19 restrictions in place. More Nanny State, more fines, more BS... Nice! Well done!!!

BTW, 30 years here and never had food poisoning, eating street food at least on 4-5 days out of 7... How come?

Edited by Freigeist365

8 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

And while your at it get them to remove and replace all the chipped and cracked china and plastic plates and other utensils; disgusting and i send back any that are delivered to my table.   They don't like it but tough luck and they should get their ar*** in order !                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Agree fully , even more the status of fixtures of most toilets is so dirty that unless one is desperate better walk out Handless fixtures a must by law in Europe  are not enforced  in Thailand .. 

exposure to viruses  seems not to be a concern  in public bathrooms 

• Like 1

Washing hands after using the toilet would be a start. I've seen some disgusting things from food venders and restaurant owners in Phuket. One even sneezing all over his shopping in Macro last year. Many go to the toilet in their aprons or overalls and go straight back to serving and/or preparing food. No common sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CapeTown said:

Half a million restaurants? Probably four times that figure and 90% just about surviving.

If spas need an annual license then so should restaus.

For restaurants making money, a Health Chief should liaise with the Tourist Authority.

The government may not realise at the moment that its survival and that of the nation depend on tourism and there is much to be done to get back into the top ten tourist destinations. Somehow, the govt has stoked a real hate of Thailand amongst people beyond its borders. The Land of Smiles is revealed to be full of violent scammers determined to get something for nothing, which is not a recipe for long term stability and success.

Europe by law demands in the toilets Touchless fixtures 

Why not in Thailand .? 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai food hygiene: Restaurants told to get their act together or face fines of 50K next month

8pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The department of hygiene has warned restaurants and food preparers of all kinds in Thailand to smarten up their cleanliness of face fines of 50,000 baht from December 16th.

Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, acting department chief, said that since new health ministry regulations were issued in 2018 all restaurants were supposed to report for training by the end of 2020.

However he admitted that many out of 500,000 establishments had not reported for training.

The training includes the way food is prepared, the ingredients that are permitted and general cleanliness of locations and personnel among many other factors. 

Now Daily News reported that those restaurants who had done nothing to address the issue over the last few years needed to act.

With time running out measures would be announced at the end of next week to clear up the backlog.

Soure: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-11-27

13 hours ago, anchadian said:

It's not just restaurants, takeaway street food also needs cleaning up.

One wonders how much sodium and msg (which I mentioned in another thread) they throw into these takeaway meals and still some of these stalls don't use gloves to prepare food.  Disgusting.

yes, all street food places needs running water and to wash the dishes with soap ????????

19 hours ago, peterdarby said:

Nice timing, hit them up while they are still recovering from the lost income during lockdowns.

How about just starting with clean toilets, soap and maybe something sanitary to dry my hands with besides my shirt. Or not! Think about it the next time you pick up that bottle or container of condiments that never get cleaned. 

If this basic standard cannot be met for the customers... you can imagine the kitchens. 

Edited by JP canada

It would be interesting to know the details on which staff must undergo training. If only management then it should be required annually. 

If it's all staff then it should be required ever 2 months. 

The point is that many small restaurants hire and fire workers regularly as needed. 

It sounds untenable to me, and like many such regulations it is never intended to be enforced. 

Same as traffic laws, helmet laws, liquor laws, license laws, litter laws, waste laws, burning and other pollution laws, muffler laws, building codes, hanging cable, sidewalk laws, parking laws, safety laws, noise regulations, pet laws, etc ad nauseum. 

As with these things and others in the Kingdom, you learn to live with them or you leave. It's the flip side of overbearing nanny state life. For my part I'm here to stay. 

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, acting department chief, said that since new health ministry regulations were issued in 2018 all restaurants were supposed to report for training by the end of 2020.

However he admitted that many out of 500,000 establishments had not reported for training.

It been two years and now you going to take actions? This country needed a food health inspection program since I have be coming here in 2004. 

Its not only the restaurants, it’s the street vendor and the motorbike vendors as well. There is no sanitation inspections, so how can you expect them to institute cleaning and sanitation measures.

Thai people do not practice it at their homes, so how would you expect them to do it outside their homes with or without training.  The country might be great to visit but it leaves a stain in their minds when they think again about returning. 

Don’t just look at the restaurants, look at the bus stations, bars, and all places people travel from home to make purchases. They are suppose to have clean and sanitized restrooms, but they don’t. 

As many’s places trying to make a baht, if the health department would conduct monthly inspections, do you know how much money they could make to create new jobs to enforce the health laws. 

Instead they rather sit in their office drinking coffee, smoking no-doses to say they are doing their job. 

Edited by Truth Will Set You Free

18 hours ago, anchadian said:

It's not just restaurants, takeaway street food also needs cleaning up.

One wonders how much sodium and msg (which I mentioned in another thread) they throw into these takeaway meals and still some of these stalls don't use gloves to prepare food.  Disgusting.

Totally agree.  On every street corner, chickens are marinating for hours in the sun and C02, surrounded by soi dogs hoping to be fed by hand from the proprietor who is sending clouds of black smoke into the atmosphere.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

I have eaten Thai street food with only three problems in 20 years. 

The first time it made me sick was when a bus stopped at a food court and even though I knew better I chose a dish from an unheated display of dishes, food that had probably been sitting there for hours.  The only reason I chose it is because the soup seller wasn't at his booth.  Later that day I wished I had gone hungry.

Thai street food made me sick twice more when I ate som tam (papaya pok pok) because my wife got that for us.  The first time it had a crab in it, which is normal.  The next time no crab but I'm sure the mortar and pestle weren't cleaned between uses.  After that my wife made our som tam at home using clean equipment and we both enjoyed it many times sans crabs and sans multiple visits to the toilet.

The only other time Thai food has made me sick was from one of the supposed best Thai restaurants in Bangkok.  I'll never return to that restaurant.

For the last 15 years I have stuck with Thai street food and selected small Thai restaurants where I can see the food being cooked and I have never had a food poisoning problem of any kind.

Personally I think a lot of the problems farangs encounter is because they are such cleanliness freaks.  If they were a little less clean they would be exposed to more types of bacteria and build up defenses against them.  The healthiest children are those raised on farms where they are exposed to all sorts of dirt, animals, and animal excrement. 

Totaly agree with your last couple of paragraphs . A certain American state fried gai  outlet up here in T/Lotus most folk eat their food with their fingers , they have been pushing a shopping cart around before eating , they quite likey move the chair they are sitting on . I do the same as on occasion I eat there but I have never been ill , in fact I have never thrown up since arriving here in 2005. I have had the squits though but probably from drinking Thai beer out of damp glasses.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

And while your at it get them to remove and replace all the chipped and cracked china and plastic plates and other utensils; disgusting and i send back any that are delivered to my table.   They don't like it but tough luck and they should get their ar*** in order !                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Please consider the horrendous state of most bathrooms It amazes me the irresponsibility shown by owners in providing cleanness  All fixtures should be handless activated by strict health regulation after all by touching spreading is assured  Europe has very strict regulations about sanitation in bathrooms particularly 

Please consider the horrendous state of most bathrooms It amazes me the irresponsibility shown by owners in  cleanness  All fixtures should be handless activated                                                   STRICT health regulation should be implemented after all by touching spreading is assured .

Europe has very strictregulations about sanitation in bathrooms particularly .

Department Stores have been very conscientious about sanitation, but bars , pubs, restaurants, cafes, leave a lot to be desired really .

Some of the worst experiences are midway to Pattaya .. shocking toilets really .. 

very poor welcome for tourists . 

23 hours ago, douglasspade said:

Funny when I type "Thailand" into google web page search one of the 10 results is "Surviving Food Poisoning in Thailand"

I guess that is the last thing you want tourists to see about your country, Covid will not kill you here, the restaurants will.

Been coming here  30-40 years. I eat of the street stalls never had a stomach upset. 

I read WHO want to reduce salt & sugar in Thai food by 2022 .

I suggest salt & sugar is not put in food . Salt & sugar should be provided on the table or in sealed bags  for snacks and take away food.

The Times I've  ordered soup,noodles and they have sugar in them . I now inquire if they contain sugar if so I give them a miss . Pork hocks in many cases are boiled in sugary water.

Both commodities can be a cause on high blood pressure.