MG good or bad

offset

My wife has had a ZS for about eighteen months, I can't fault it. It seemed good value and had some decent reviews, the bad comments and reviews mainly seemed to be from bitter old dinosaurs who couldn't get over the decline of the industry. I would certainly recommend it.

• Like 2

I am in Australia at the moment for work stuff. We have rented 4 little hatchback MG's for the last 6 months and I drive 1 everyday.

I always had in my head that MG was a kind of quality exclusive kind of brand. The only ones I saw previously were those old school topless things that were very small.

These ones we have at the moment really suck and I see no difference to other cars in the class like astra, vw, mirage. Looks/feels very cheap. Transmission on all 4 cars is very sketchy with gear changes and delays. Brakes annoningly touchy. Indicator stick on wrong side (depending where your from).

If I actually bought the thing I would be very dissapointed

19 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

No English user manual,  dealer can order for you, maybe a wait.

I just downloaded the UK version of the owner manual from a UK website. There are a few differences (e.g. no Automated Stop/Start) but the vast majority of it is applicable to the local model.

I've attached a copy in case it helps.

If you ever get an answer on the English language voice control option, could you please let us know on here? I'd love to be able to try it out but if it is available I hope it's better than the Thai version. I've had my wife and three other Thai people try to use it and it doesn't understand a single word any of them says.

ZS11MCEUKOwnerManual.pdf

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I just downloaded the UK version of the owner manual from a UK website. There are a few differences (e.g. no Automated Stop/Start) but the vast majority of it is applicable to the local model.

I've attached a copy in case it helps.

If you ever get an answer on the English language voice control option, could you please let us know on here? I'd love to be able to try it out but if it is available I hope it's better than the Thai version. I've had my wife and three other Thai people try to use it and it doesn't understand a single word any of them says.

ZS11MCEUKOwnerManual.pdf 47.77 MB · 1 download

Thanks for that. I have the same version on my phone, however, a few areas of the electronics that are not covered, mainly in the Ismart area, it seems the UK version is slightly different. I will post of any updates regarding some of the features.

2 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Many of the mercs/beemers/audi's on the list are sold here.

A few wheel makers in thailand make to suit the 5x112 PCD.

Thanks for the info, after a few tyre shops I gave up, bought an original MG mag and fitted my own tyre.

My Thai friends own a BMW x1 twin turbo diesel SUV, they needed a cheap second car/SUV, so they bought an MG ZS, I asked what the thought of the ZS, the reply was, "It feels like a lightweight toy"....:whistling:

Another farang friend bought one, the power steering failed, had to be taken away on a transporter.

What I find a little odd is that new MG's in LOS get a 4 year/120,000 km warranty, what ever comes first, yet in the UK they get a 7 year/80,000mile (129,000km) warranty, plus in the UK a choice of two engines, just one in LOS.

The MG performance brand is going to scrap the 1500cc 4 pot engine in the ZS for a 1000cc 3 pot with turbo, wow, that should cheer up MG performance fans........????.................:coffee1:  

On 11/30/2020 at 1:35 PM, Blue Muton said:

My wife has had a ZS for about eighteen months, I can't fault it. It seemed good value and had some decent reviews, the bad comments and reviews mainly seemed to be from bitter old dinosaurs who couldn't get over the decline of the industry. I would certainly recommend it.

Not really, more like some here who were involved with MG cars for decades, the MG badge was used on performance cars or tuned up versions of B.M.C basic rides, even the classic rally winner Mini Cooper S would have been an MG Mini if it wasn't for John Cooper.

There isn't one Chinese performance MG, they are just cashing in on the Morris Garages racing heritage, MG..

Being from the western side of the pond ...

I just don't get the "performance" associated with MG, Triumph, et al

Not ever very popular there. Had a friend who had a MGB GT coupe, and myself owned a TR6 with 2nd 3rd 4th OD

Both were slow, even compared to non V8 N. American cars. And the handling I found was nothing to write home about - altho' better than most domestic cars.

Enjoyed my TR6 once I shoehorned in a 327 V8 and replaced the lever action rear with some coil overs. BMW killer !!!

On 11/29/2020 at 6:18 PM, canthai55 said:

The ones made in Germany are no better - maybe 30 years ago they had a deserved reputation for quality and long life.

Now - every manufacturer - gets parts made by suppliers who have no connection with the marque at all.

So your "German" car has as many Chinese parts as a "Chinese" car.

Consumer reports list MB, BMW as some of the most breakdown prone cars around, and the most expensive to fix.

So much for 'German' quality.

Want quality - get a Lexus

Was it Lexus who came second in the F1 makers list?   LOL

6 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Not ever very popular there. Had a friend who had a MGB GT coupe, and myself owned a TR6 with 2nd 3rd 4th OD

Both were slow, even compared to non V8 N. American cars. And the handling I found was nothing to write home about - altho' better than most domestic cars.

Enjoyed my TR6 once I shoehorned in a 327 V8 and replaced the lever action rear with some coil overs. BMW killer !!!

The USA loved MG sports cars, most of them went there.....????

10 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Perhaps read MG racing history for starters.

The MGB was the poor man's performance car of the day in the UK, I had one, production was started in 1963, they went on with options after the 1800cc to fit a 3000cc six pot, and then the 3500cc V8 (downsized Buick). 

Now I can tell you, when I bought my 1976 6600cc Pontiac Transam, it was a slug, the 1800cc MGB would be all over it, in fact it was embarrassing, hence my quest to turn the Trans into an MGB eater, but that took a lot of doing...

PS. The 1976 6600cc Trans was rated at less than 200hp, I think it was 166hp......????

Late 1970's way too late. Try the late 60's early 70's

A friend had a TVR with the aluminum V8 - it went well

Never saw a 3 litre 6 banger in an MGB - only the 4 pot

Introduced 1973 – 1976 total of 2591 produced

https://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/mg-guides/mgb/mgb-gtv8

So a rare car - like a ZL1 Camaro

Edited by canthai55

17 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Late 1970's way too late. Try the late 60's early 70's

A friend had a TVR with the aluminum V8 - it went well

Never saw a 3 litre 6 banger in an MGB - only the 4 pot

Introduced 1973 – 1976 total of 2591 produced

https://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/mg-guides/mgb/mgb-gtv8

So a rare car - like a ZL1 Camaro

MGC was an MGB with the B.M.C. 3000cc engine, the same engine as the Austin Healy 3000....

MGB, MGC and MGB V8 were the same but had different hoods...MGC below..

mgc_420_280_60_int_s_c1.jpg.dd7e1bf4500cc1b3e93dea2413f28f7f.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I just assumed that would be more expensive than the ZS EV (which I've got, by the way.)

So did I, but it seems not ???? 

And a wagon would do us well with dogs. Tempting, very tempting.

• Like 2

The MG HS PHEV looks quite interesting.

Over 250hp combined, 0-100 7.5sec, range as EV app 32 miles or 50km, 8 year warranty on the batteries. 

1.36 mill.

I just can't use a full EV car, I need much more range, if the range is 1000km, yes, but we are not there yet so plug-in hybrid is currently the best for my needs. Above car could be used for school runs everyday for my son and then the occasionally holiday to North Thailand.

https://www.mgcars.com/en/mg-models/new-mg-hs-phev/price

https://mg.co.uk/mg-hs-plugin/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, madhav said:

In reality the vast majority of people barely drive more than 50km a day. I always wondered what happens if you don't use the ICE for extended periods, will it create issues for the engine? What about maintenance etc?

Many people have prejudice against Chinese cars, however the reviews from the latest MG's are actually really good. So it is worth putting these prejudices aside to take another look. The latest EP wagon (MG5 EV) is no different.
It has a few quirks. I am personally not a fan of the styling, but for the price (especially considering how cars are normally priced Thailand) it has a lot going for it. There is literally no competition within the price range. And this has a lot to do with tax and the FTA with China.

Most things you but brand new are good, it's the staying good that matters. I have had a pile of cheap Chinese goods over the years, you know, copies of quality stuff, hand drills are my no.1.... 

Still no thoughts on why MG give a 7 year warranty in the UK but only 4 years in LOS...?

14 hours ago, madhav said:

In reality the vast majority of people barely drive more than 50km a day. I always wondered what happens if you don't use the ICE for extended periods, will it create issues for the engine? What about maintenance etc?

Many people have prejudice against Chinese cars, however the reviews from the latest MG's are actually really good. So it is worth putting these prejudices aside to take another look. The latest EP wagon (MG5 EV) is no different.
It has a few quirks. I am personally not a fan of the styling, but for the price (especially considering how cars are normally priced Thailand) it has a lot going for it. There is literally no competition within the price range. And this has a lot to do with tax and the FTA with China.

If I had a plug-in hybrid, I will always run the engine minimum once a week. I will assume in power mode that the engine is running all the time? Also have to enjoy that acceleration sometimes, 555.

I have prejudice against Chinese cars/bikes I must admit but you are right, just get over it.

I am looking at getting a new ride next year and I will defiantly see if I can test drive the HS PHEV.

I had hoped Mazda would had presented a hybrid at the motor-show but it was not to be?