MG good or bad

offset

26 minutes ago, transam said:

Most things you but brand new are good, it's the staying good that matters. I have had a pile of cheap Chinese goods over the years, you know, copies of quality stuff, hand drills are my no.1.... 

Still no thoughts on why MG give a 7 year warranty in the UK but only 4 years in LOS...?

I was wondering about that too, will ask MG showroom in Pattaya why only 4 years here and 7 in the UK when I get over there, likely next year

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 12:57 PM, mistral53 said:

I got the HS PHEV a little over one week ago.........love it!

With almost 70 miles electric range, in town there wont ever be a need to use the ICE. Refueling from my solar roof for free - whats not to like about that kind of showing the middle finger to the oil companies? well, almost - when the wife wants to visit her parents, she still needs to use a gas station on the way.

Wow you get nearly 70 miles on a full battery,  must be good solar you have.

I wonder if it will still do that in a few months. Our PHEV range has dropped more than 15% in 18 months.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 9:26 AM, transam said:

Still no thoughts on why MG give a 7 year warranty in the UK but only 4 years in LOS...?

I would guess the estimated warranty cost, to MG, is built into the price of the car. The shorter warranty in Thailand allows MG to sell the car as cheaply as possible in what is a difficult ev market - a market in its infancy.

In other words, they could sell it with a 7 year warranty in Thailand, but they'd have to jack the price of the car up a bit.

Presumably, MG have done their market research and know what they’re doing. Or maybe not!

Note: the battery warranty in the UK is seven years. In Thailand, it's eight years.

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

I would guess the estimated warranty cost, to MG, is built into the price of the car. The shorter warranty in Thailand allows MG to sell the car as cheaply as possible in what is a difficult ev market - a market in its infancy.

In other words, they could sell it with a 7 year warranty in Thailand, but they'd have to jack the price of the car up a bit.

Presumably, MG have done their market research and know what they’re doing. Or maybe not!

Note: the battery warranty in the UK is seven years. In Thailand, it's eight years.

The price for the ZS EV in Australia is about 200k baht cheaper, it also has the 7 year warranty. I think they are putting a lot more markup here in Thailand. 

34 minutes ago, madhav said:

The price for the ZS EV in Australia is about 200k baht cheaper, it also has the 7 year warranty. I think they are putting a lot more markup here in Thailand. 

Is that not because of taxes?

I realise MG have a special tax exemption in Thailand for their electric vehicles.

But I think I read it is still subject to some tax because it is not assembled in Thailand.

Edited by macahoom

16 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Is that not because of taxes?

I think I read it is still subject to some tax because it is not assembled in Thailand.

Who knows for sure, but even cars made here in Thailand that are exported to Australia (and other parts of the world) are still cheaper there. I saw a thread about it some time back.

This chart may help in regards to BEV end Taxes. Because of the Free trade agreement between China and Thailand, MG comes in essentially tax free. Still excise tax though, but not much.

However Nissan discounted the leaf by 500k baht recently (and presumably still covered their costs) so I do believe they mark up their prices a lot more here. 

The price was originally 2 million baht, they dropped it to 1.5. For reference the same car in Australia is 1.1 million. So even if you add 30% to account for taxes etc the original Thai price of 2 million makes no sense. I think the 1.5 million baht price they are still making profit, just far less. (Like most countries)

8D2C8493-BC52-43E8-B2B5-A114134E25E6.jpeg

Edited by madhav
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, macahoom said:

Sorry, my post referred to piston rides...

21 hours ago, PFMills said:

I wonder if it will still do that in a few months. Our PHEV range has dropped more than 15% in 18 months.

Which car do you have? A bit concerning it's dropping so fast, a quick Goggle search says you can expect it to drop app 2.3% a year which is acceptable for me. Maybe it's the climate, batteries don't like it super hot.

I am sure he meant 70km, 555

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2020 at 11:46 AM, PFMills said:

My bad - that was a typo - it should of course be 70 km.

I believe the 8 year battery warranty covers failure and degradation - your 15% in 18 months is clearly outside design specs. What brand car is it?

We have another PHEV (MB), a little of 3 years old, and judging by the range, the battery capacity seems unchanged.

• Like 1

Most modern EV cars leave a % of the battery unusable. So you may have a 50kwh hour but the manufacturer allows only 45kwh access to it. This helps with degradation. It may lose 10% but it wouldn’t therefore be noticeable. 

I think as time goes on the battery tech will only improve. Lexus released their latest EV and it has a million km warranty on the battery. Tesla is mentioning million mile battery. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 11:46 PM, PFMills said:

We will be coming back to Thailand as soon as covid allows and will be in the market for a new vihuela, in the past we only spend a few months there as I was still working, and we have a Mitsubishi   Mirage , but now that I am retired and will be spending more time there we need something more substantial. 

I have been looking at the MG HS  PHEV as 90% of our driving isin town  within the EV range and would only need gas for long drive  , Since I am not there the only info I can get is on the website, , which is not very user friendly IMO.

My only problem is that it does not come in a seven seat configuration.(I don't think) which would be inconvenient for those trips with the whole family., the other concern  I have , not only with this but with all the other vehicles in Thailand is the lack of safety equipment,   No lane assist, no collision avoidance ,  no blind spot assist ,  in it's claim of safety it boasts of two air bags , are you kidding me, and an alarm if you are too close to the vehicle in front of you which would be mostly annoying IMO. I had it in my truck years ago in the US and I had to disable it, as every time someone cut in front of me it went off.

I am not being critical just trying to get more info,  What are your thinking about the above?  also given your experience with the vehicle, do you think the savings in gas justified  the premium in price of the PHEV? 

You mentioned "sollar"  how does that come in play? 

Thank you in advance. I appreciate any input. and or advice. 

Edited by sirineou

^^^^^

Sorry, after looking at the website more, I see it has more than two airbags , lane keep assist  and blind spot detection , but I am too late to edit my post. 

The more i look at it, the more I like it.

Edited by sirineou

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

the other concern  I have , not only with this but with all the other vehicles in Thailand is the lack of safety equipment,   No lane assist, no collision avoidance ,  no blind spot assist ,  in it's claim of safety it boasts of two air bags , are you kidding me, and an alarm if you are too close to the vehicle in front of you which would be mostly annoying IMO. I had it in my truck years ago in the US and I had to disable it, as every time someone cut in front of me it went off.

If the vehicle does not come with all the above gadgets, then you must fall back on what has worked for over 100 years ...

Drive the vehicle, and use the mirrors.

Aftermarket front and rear cameras can help with parking - have them on our fleet

The rest is just a reason to be lazy and not pay attention - IM not so HO

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

If the vehicle does not come with all the above gadgets, then you must fall back on what has worked for over 100 years ...

Drive the vehicle, and use the mirrors.

Aftermarket front and rear cameras can help with parking - have them on our fleet

The rest is just a reason to be lazy and not pay attention - IM not so HO

I agree, 

but as I said on my follow up , I later discovered from looking at their website that it does come with some of these features, but by then it was too late for me to edit the mistaken post. 

The thing is not that I can't do without all these things but, having them would make it safer,

For instance , my  daughter was driving  behind another car waiting to merge into traffic when there were no cars coming,  both drivers  were looking to their left at the incoming traffic waiting for their opportunity. The car in front of my daughter saw an opening and started merging into traffic, my daughter look to her left saw that there was no cars coming and started moving also. BUt while she was looking left the car in front of her for whatever reason stopped, and my daughter not seeing it because she was looking left, rearend it . Since she rear end the car it was my daughters fault (failure to maintain a safe distance) If she had collision avoidance  she would not have rear ended the car and she would not have to pay the the $500 dollar insurance deductible to repairing her car.

Same thing with blind spot avoidance. How many times we have looked in the mirror, we did not see a car and started making a lane  change only to hear hear the horn of a car in our blind spot blaring and quickly snap back in our lane narrowly avoiding an accident. If you never have you are a better driver than me. 

IMO it is not that I can't live without these things , but if I am payings $46,000  for a car, I would rather have them, You would not buy a $46,000 car in the US without these things.

But the whole thing is academic and moot. since it seems that the MG HS PHEV has all these things, so as soon as we get there we will take a look at it. Not sure if we will get it because wife wants a  seven seater , but we will see, she might change her mind when she sees the car and considers that for our mostly short drives she will not have to pay for gas.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If she had collision avoidance  she would not have rear ended the car

Or if she looked ...

Can not blame this on some gadget. These addons to new vehicles make the roads more dangerous, because people will get into a mindset that they no longer have to pay attention - the car will warn them if they cross the lane markers, if they get too close ...

57 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Same thing with blind spot avoidance. How many times we have looked in the mirror, we did not see a car and started making a lane  change only to hear hear the horn of a car in our blind spot blaring and quickly snap back in our lane narrowly avoiding an accident. If you never have you are a better driver than me. 

Use a simple stickon convex mirror -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoguide.com%2Fthe-10-best-blind-spot-mirrors-and-why-you-need-them&psig=AOvVaw1X7ghMB3v_xVMQ72A8ze44&ust=1607907009924000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCOjRuMTeye0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

cv.jpg

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I agree, 

but as I said on my follow up , I later discovered from looking at their website that it does come with some of these features, but by then it was too late for me to edit the mistaken post. 

The thing is not that I can't do without all these things but, having them would make it safer,

For instance , my  daughter was driving  behind another car waiting to merge into traffic when there were no cars coming,  both drivers  were looking to their left at the incoming traffic waiting for their opportunity. The car in front of my daughter saw an opening and started merging into traffic, my daughter look to her left saw that there was no cars coming and started moving also. BUt while she was looking left the car in front of her for whatever reason stopped, and my daughter not seeing it because she was looking left, rearend it . Since she rear end the car it was my daughters fault (failure to maintain a safe distance) If she had collision avoidance  she would not have rear ended the car and she would not have to pay the the $500 dollar insurance deductible to repairing her car.

IMO it is not that I can't live without these things , but if I am payings $46,000  for a car, I would rather have them, You would not buy a $46,000 car in the US without these things.

But the whole thing is academic and moot. since it seems that the MG HS PHEV has all these things, so as soon as we get there we will take a look at it. Not sure if we will get it because wife wants a  seven seater , but we will see, she might change her mind when she sees the car and considers that for our mostly short drives she will not have to pay for gas.  

Hmmmm, maybe your daughter needs to go back to driving school.

53 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I am not denigrating you - or your daughter

But to rely on what I see are gimmicks is neither safe or prudent.

I agree, plus it unintentionally induces laziness, when one really should be at their peak of attention driving a car.  

If one gets used to these gimmicks taking care of them and a fault occurs in the system, you could end up with serious grief...

23 hours ago, mistral53 said:

My bad - that was a typo - it should of course be 70 km.

I believe the 8 year battery warranty covers failure and degradation - your 15% in 18 months is clearly outside design specs. What brand car is it?

We have another PHEV (MB), a little of 3 years old, and judging by the range, the battery capacity seems unchanged.

It is an E350e, started off at electric range of 23kms, which was not exactly good anyway. I noticed in the last few days it is down to showing 18kms.

I set it up a while back to stay in Comfort mode and also Emode. And also run a lot in a Esave mode if I know I’m going to hit the traffic later.

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

I agree, 

You may very well find that, collision avoidance does not work at a low speed. That is certainly the case with our car if you are below 15 km/h bad luck.

It is clearly a good thing to have, although it’s a pain in the ass when you’re driving along and some one decides to pull out in front of you and before you have time to change lanes the brakes were going on.

There are three settings and I have it set to the one which react the quickest.

4 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Hmmmm, maybe your daughter needs to go back to driving school.

It is not as simple as that. I have experienced the driver in front go and then stop many times. Quite often when I’ve had a second look to make sure that some ‘kin motorbike isn’t over taking the car that slowed down to let us out.

27 minutes ago, PFMills said:

It is not as simple as that. I have experienced the driver in front go and then stop many times. Quite often when I’ve had a second look to make sure that some ‘kin motorbike isn’t over taking the car that slowed down to let us out.

I too have experienced it many many times, I do not need a driver aid to avoid rear ending them though and if a person DOES need them then they need further driver education and experience.

Edited by Techno Viking

Has anyone else with an MG ZS noticed a recent problem with the GPS system?

On a number of early trips I took, I used the GPS system and it always placed me precisely on the right road, whether on urban settings or major highways.

Then, about a month ago it started losing accuracy and not being able to locate the vehicle on the correct street or main road - sometimes it would incorrectly place me on a side road or feeder road and sometimes on open ground completely away from the road.

I'm wonderinging if this may be because of an update to the Tom Tom navigation system it uses. Unless no-one else is having this issue, in which case my car's GPS may have a problem.

2 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

I too have experienced it many many times, I do not need a driver aid to avoid rear ending them though and if a person DOES need them then they need further driver education and experience.

Be careful what you wish for, and as I explained above, that particular drivers aid is unlikely to help in that situation.

Accidents do happen, a moments carelessness. I admit that I have had some very close calls in the 15 years that have been driving here in Thailand. I don’t think that I need further driver education or training though, just the good luck to continue.

But might be worth buying one of those things that dangle in the front windscreen though ????

Edited by PFMills
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PFMills said:

Be careful what you wish for, and as I explained above, that particular drivers aid is unlikely to help in that situation.

Accidents do happen, a moments carelessness. I admit that I have had some very close calls in the 15 years that have been driving here in Thailand. I don’t think that I need further driver education or training though, just the good luck to continue.

But might be worth buying one of those things that dangle in the front windscreen though ????

Driver aids cause driver laziness and in turn accidents happen.

Enjoy your driver aids.

8 hours ago, PFMills said:

You may very well find that, collision avoidance does not work at a low speed. That is certainly the case with our car if you are below 15 km/h bad luck.

It is clearly a good thing to have, although it’s a pain in the ass when you’re driving along and some one decides to pull out in front of you and before you have time to change lanes the brakes were going on.

There are three settings and I have it set to the one which react the quickest.

I didn't know that, about the low speed  collision avoidance , Thank you for that info, 

I saw this on their website,   "Automatic speed control when low speed " but I don't know what it means.  I did have the proximity alarm and it was a pain in the ass and very annoying especially in stop and go traffic, I was so annoying I disabled it. 

As some said, I realize that I could live without all these things, but I will be keeping the the next new car I buy for the next 10 years perhaps more, so I like to buy top speck now so that it will not be too outdated in 10 years, My thinking is that if I buy it outdated now, it would be way behind the curve in 10 years. I don't know, does my thinking make sense? 

12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I am not denigrating you - or your daughter

But to rely on what I see are gimmicks is neither safe or prudent.

I realise that. No worries. 

The story about my daughter was simply an example. Of course diligence and good habits is the way to go, But  a little extra security does not hurt.  I disagree that  the technology induced laziness that consequently causes more accidents,  all the dat indicates otherwise. 

"Some driver assistance technologies are reducing crashes.
Front crash prevention systems have been shown to reduce front-to-rear crashes. Lane departure warning, blind spot detection and rear crash prevention also show real-world benefit
"

https://www.iihs.org/topics/advanced-driver-assistance#:~:text=Some driver assistance technologies are,also show real-world benefits.

Other wise insurance companies would not recommend them and provide discounts to those using them.