MG good or bad

offset

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I realise that. No worries. 

The story about my daughter was simply an example. Of course diligence and good habits is the way to go, But  a little extra security does not hurt.  I disagree that  the technology induced laziness that consequently causes more accidents,  all the dat indicates otherwise. 

"Some driver assistance technologies are reducing crashes.
Front crash prevention systems have been shown to reduce front-to-rear crashes. Lane departure warning, blind spot detection and rear crash prevention also show real-world benefit
"

https://www.iihs.org/topics/advanced-driver-assistance#:~:text=Some driver assistance technologies are,also show real-world benefits.

Other wise insurance companies would not recommend them and provide discounts to those using them. 

Of course these driver assists, assist in making car driving safer. Those arguing against it are completely misinformed or just don’t understand.

One of the earlier driver assists was ABS, Try and argue against that. You think you can do better by pumping 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I didn't know that, about the low speed  collision avoidance , Thank you for that info, 

I saw this on their website,   "Automatic speed control when low speed " but I don't know what it means.  I did have the proximity alarm and it was a pain in the ass and very annoying especially in stop and go traffic, I was so annoying I disabled it. 

As some said, I realize that I could live without all these things, but I will be keeping the the next new car I buy for the next 10 years perhaps more, so I like to buy top speck now so that it will not be too outdated in 10 years, My thinking is that if I buy it outdated now, it would be way behind the curve in 10 years. I don't know, does my thinking make sense? 

You mention that you planning to keep your next car for 10 years

You might want to check out these 

facebook groups to see how existing owners are getting on with their cars

CarComplaintsThailand and OuyMG

You can see here from one2car for MG SUV the oldest for sale is 2016

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale/mg?body_type=SUV&sort=registered_year.asc

38 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

You mention that you planning to keep your next car for 10 years

You might want to check out these 

facebook groups to see how existing owners are getting on with their cars

CarComplaintsThailand and OuyMG

You can see here from one2car for MG SUV the oldest for sale is 2016

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale/mg?body_type=SUV&sort=registered_year.asc

That's what I am trying to do with the questions I am asking. I am by no means settled on this or any other car,  and I will admit I am not much of a car person,. Here in the US  we have a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV ,  I have no idea what size engine it has other than it is a four cylinder, nor do I care to find out. LOL it drives well , and that's all I care. 

The FB  Groups is a great idea, thank you!! I will look into it. 

As far as that there are no older than 2016 for sale, I don't thing MGs have been for sale longer than that in Thailand. 

Edited by sirineou

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

That's what I am trying to do with the questions I am asking. I am by no means settled on this or any other car,  and I will admit I am not much of a car person,. Here in the US  we have a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV ,  I have no idea what size engine it has other than it is a four cylinder, nor do I care to find out. LOL it drives well , and that's all I care. 

As far as that there are no older than 2016 for sale, I don't thing MGs have been for sale longer than that in Thailand. 

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV was launched in Thailand 12 days ago it has a 2.4 hybrid engine comes with

Car quality guarantee, Warranty for 5 years or 100,000 kilometers

Hybrid battery warranty for 10 years or 160,000 kilometers.

Free service package maintenance for 5 years

Free labor check for 5 years

Free 24-hour roadside assistance for 5 years

Free first class insurance for 1 year

Free support for the installation of Home Charger not more than 20,000 baht

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

if your looking  for 7 seats you might want to look at SUV majority of SUV started life as a pickup and then evolved into a SUV

Here is the total sales figures for 2020 for SUV some models no longer on sale such as trailblazer and Nissan Terra(new updated model will come next year)

http://www.headlightmag.com/sales-report-ppv-oct-2020-thailand/

20 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Has anyone else with an MG ZS noticed a recent problem with the GPS system?

On a number of early trips I took, I used the GPS system and it always placed me precisely on the right road, whether on urban settings or major highways.

Then, about a month ago it started losing accuracy and not being able to locate the vehicle on the correct street or main road - sometimes it would incorrectly place me on a side road or feeder road and sometimes on open ground completely away from the road.

I'm wonderinging if this may be because of an update to the Tom Tom navigation system it uses. Unless no-one else is having this issue, in which case my car's GPS may have a problem.

I've noticed this problem too. My issues with the  Tom Tom system started a few months back I also seem to have problems with it identifying addresses or place names that I enter. I understand that I might not be spelling places accurately enough, but my Google maps seems to cope okay. My extender is due a service soon, so I'll get MG to check it but in the meantime I'll continue using Google maps on my phone.

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

Android Auto is available for download if you look hard, but I prefer Apple Car Play with Google maps as it is more stable. I must admit I haven't used the built in GPS in our car. 

On 12/14/2020 at 9:05 PM, PFMills said:

Android Auto is available for download if you look hard, but I prefer Apple Car Play with Google maps as it is more stable. I must admit I haven't used the built in GPS in our car. 

I'm not sure what you mean by Android Auto being available. The MG ZS in Thailand doesn't have Android Auto (although in the UK, it does). I asked about it before purchase and they said the Thai model has the EasyShare app instead. I've tried it, but it's not as good as Android Auto and only works with a cable. So on long journeys, if your battery runs out you'd be screwed, as you can't both charge the phone and use EasyShare at the same time.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:32 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

The op doesn’t say if he is talking about the pickup or the cars  ?

As usual just a mention about MG brings out the anti chinese posts and posters reminiscing about their MG’s from the 70’s.

From what i read on TVF the Extender gets some thumbs ups , the MG 3 also gets some good reviews as a run around, the ZS (2018 ) had some bad press about the 4 speed box but now the ZS ( 2020 ) has an 8 speed box and some more refinements so should be okay for the price.

Resale value for the newer models is a big question mark if you worry about that.

In general IMHO, a good price pickup, small run around or small SUV slated on here for being chinese and pushing the “ British Heritage “ as a selling point , i wouldn’t let either of those two points bother me if i was the market for a new car.

we're currently driving a 2014 Ford Escape; 120,000 km and i sense that it's time to sell. fuel pump/side window motor, all in 2020... Can you remember the TVF you were reading ?

On 11/28/2020 at 10:35 PM, Ireland32 said:

Because it’s Chinese they created a virus and should be boycotted , Correct , also debt traps , bullying and SCS Island Building, Seizing infrastructure 

lotsa luck with boycotting - altho' I agree with you. I am totally p/o'd with the CCP. BBC has an expose today on their forced labour/Urgur concentration camps. Consumer boycotts won't work, so long as Western businesses keep making their products there. I try to buy products made in #1. Thailand, #2. any country except China (eg Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc). Governments in the  West have no balls. It needs the UN to kick them out, same with any other human rights violator. i know, going off topic.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:13 AM, Fairynuff said:

Hotels really aren’t that expensive you know????????

reminds me of an Oz friend (since departed) - if I came visiting mornings, and he was sleeping in his car outside his house, he wouldn't miss a beat ''Hotel Suzuki'' miss you buddy.

On 11/29/2020 at 8:43 AM, hotchilli said:

My neighbours son works as a salesman for MG dealership, he say's they're rubbish.

Cheaply made, everything is plastic, life expectancy is low.

Even the service engineers hate them, the only good thing is you can buy cheap... but cheap is what you get.

Better to buy a mid-ranged Honda.

555 what isn't made of plastic these days. try finding a panel beater. They threw out the side door of my Escape (smallish damage) and ordered a new one from the Phillipines. also, would you trust to get the whole story from someone who most likely cannot draw/read a map?

On 12/16/2020 at 2:53 PM, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not sure what you mean by Android Auto being available. The MG ZS in Thailand doesn't have Android Auto (although in the UK, it does). I asked about it before purchase and they said the Thai model has the EasyShare app instead. I've tried it, but it's not as good as Android Auto and only works with a cable. So on long journeys, if your battery runs out you'd be screwed, as you can't both charge the phone and use EasyShare at the same time.

Hi, I have recently purchased the new version ZS, I am interested in this Easy share/con app, not sure what it is or does?. 

51 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Hi, I have recently purchased the new version ZS, I am interested in this Easy share/con app, not sure what it is or does?. 

Is it still the 1.5 ltr, or are they now fitted with the 1.0 ltr + turbo...????

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

It's EasyCon - I got the name wrong in my earlier post and what it does is allow you to connect an Android device via a USB cable. Once connected, you can either just mirror your phone's screen, or launch a limited selection of apps from your phone, which will then show on the car's display screen. For example, Google Maps, Spotify and YouTube will all work - though I wouldn't advise watching videos while driving.

The EasyCon app is on the main menu of your car's display and you have to install it on your device as well, then enable USB debugging on the phone (instructions for this are available on the internet or through the app in your car) and as mentioned, connect it via cable.

The EasyCon app says it can also connect wirelessly but it seems the MG ZS software is not configured to allow this.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

Just now, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's EasyCon - I got the name wrong in my earlier post and what it does is allow you to connect an Android device via a USB cable. Once connected, you can either just mirror your phone's screen, or launch a limited selection of apps from your phone, which will then show on the car's display screen. For example, Google Maps, Spotify and YouTube will all work - though I wouldn't advise watching videos while driving.

The EasyCon app is on the main menu of your car's display and you have to install it on your device as well, then enable USB debugging on the phone (instructions for this are available on the internet or through the app in your car) and as mentioned, connect it via cable.

The EasyCon app says it can also connect wirelessly but it seems the MG ZS software is not configured to allow this.

OK, thanks for that, might try it out. How are you finding the car so far? Cheers

Just now, transam said:

Yeh, I read that somewhere, but I was thinking of this I also read..

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/mg-motor-uk/zs

Yeah, 2018 model reviewed, 2020 has improved, 6 speed transmission has improved driving and some updated safety feature. I have only had this car for 1 month, I gave it its first workout on a holiday to Koh Chang Island about 1800klms round trip, I had no problems with comfort, handling, power and transmission. Averaged 14 Klms to the Litre, At my age now I did not buy the car to see how fast and how it handled around a race track. Time will tell of reliability I suppose.

Cheers

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

OK, thanks for that, might try it out. How are you finding the car so far? Cheers

Perfectly happy with it so far. As I mentioned earlier, there was a small problem with the cigarette lighter socket but they fixed that quickly and easily - and for free, although only after I argued the toss with them (they said the warranty only covered mechanical, not electrical faults).

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

20 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Perfectly happy with it so far. As I mentioned earlier, there was a small problem with the cigarette lighter socket but they fixed that quickly and easily - and for free, although only after I argued the toss with them (they said the warranty only covered mechanical, not electrical faults).

I check with my dealer about warranty, as some care car manufacturers say 4 years, however, some is only for Engine  4 years, transmission 2 years, electrical 1 year and so on. 

They told me everything is covered, except, accident damage, battery, tires and wipers.

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I check with my dealer about warranty, as some care car manufacturers say 4 years, however, some is only for Engine  4 years, transmission 2 years, electrical 1 year and so on. 

They told me everything is covered, except, accident damage, battery, tires and wipers.

In the UK it is 7 years, something I find rather strange..????