MG good or bad

offset

22 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's EasyCon - I got the name wrong in my earlier post and what it does is allow you to connect an Android device via a USB cable. Once connected, you can either just mirror your phone's screen, or launch a limited selection of apps from your phone, which will then show on the car's display screen. For example, Google Maps, Spotify and YouTube will all work - though I wouldn't advise watching videos while driving.

The EasyCon app is on the main menu of your car's display and you have to install it on your device as well, then enable USB debugging on the phone (instructions for this are available on the internet or through the app in your car) and as mentioned, connect it via cable.

Apple being Apple limit the apps available via CarPlay so YouTube is not available unless you jailbreak your device.

An app called Carbidge was available to bypass this but an Apple update has recently made the download of Carbridge difficult, if not impossible ?

On 12/11/2020 at 4:03 PM, madhav said:

Who knows for sure, but even cars made here in Thailand that are exported to Australia (and other parts of the world) are still cheaper there. I saw a thread about it some time back.

This chart may help in regards to BEV end Taxes. Because of the Free trade agreement between China and Thailand, MG comes in essentially tax free. Still excise tax though, but not much.

However Nissan discounted the leaf by 500k baht recently (and presumably still covered their costs) so I do believe they mark up their prices a lot more here. 

The price was originally 2 million baht, they dropped it to 1.5. For reference the same car in Australia is 1.1 million. So even if you add 30% to account for taxes etc the original Thai price of 2 million makes no sense. I think the 1.5 million baht price they are still making profit, just far less. (Like most countries)

8D2C8493-BC52-43E8-B2B5-A114134E25E6.jpeg

This further illustrates my point regarding pricing. Huge markup and then a huge 40% discount. 

D25744B0-24D3-4DF2-8DF6-8F57471558E6.jpeg

Edited by madhav

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Another Chinese manufacturer also producing Land Rover and Jaguars in China !!

But they haven't bought a British performance brand name (MG) and stuck a Union Jack on the boot to sell a Chinese slug.. ????....Their slugs should be called "MORRIS", as all Morris Garages grocery getters were..........????

At least Chery have made an effort at performance with a 1500cc turbo, whereas, the MG ZS will get a 3 pot 1.0 Turbo "upgrade"....????

1 minute ago, macahoom said:

You go on and on and on about the Thai MG warranty. What is so strange about it? You suggested in an earlier email that you think the Thai warranty is shorter because the cars are built with Chinese parts.

On November 22, 2019 you posted:
"Unless it has changed, the warranty in LOS is 4 years, in the UK it is 7 years, which for me raises a question mark as to why...????
I would suggest they are assembled here with Chinese manufactured parts.."

Hilarious!

How about this?:

Porsche’s warranty in the USA is 4 years for all models. In the UK it is 3 years. In Thailand it is 2 years. BMW is exactly the same. You think Porsche and BMW cars are also built with Chinese parts for the Thai market?

And then, what about Audi?  Audi USA is 4 years, UK 3 years and Thailand 5 years. Using your logic, they must build the Thai cars with superior parts in a special Thai only plant in Germany!

Give us a break!

1. Don't really know why you have snipped my post from way back, do you work for MG.

2. That is not answering my question as to why LOS has a 4 year warranty and the UK 7 years.

Try again..

3. So are MG assembled here with Chinese parts..?

1 minute ago, transam said:

1. Don't really know why you have snipped my post from way back, do you work for MG.

2. That is not answering my question as to why LOS has a 4 year warranty and the UK 7 years.

Try again..

I would think that Thai MG has a shorter warranty than the UK because they have a smaller profit margin in thailand either because of tax  or scale of markets, and a longer warranty would eat into their profit margin, 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, transam said:

Try again..

I suggest you re-read my post slowly and try to comprehend.

I know it's difficult for you, but I think you can do it.

2 hours ago, transam said:

But they haven't bought a British performance brand name (MG) and stuck a Union Jack on the boot to sell a Chinese slug.. ????....Their slugs should be called "MORRIS", as all Morris Garages grocery getters were..........????

At least Chery have made an effort at performance with a 1500cc turbo, whereas, the MG ZS will get a 3 pot 1.0 Turbo "upgrade"....????

MG a performace brand 555

MG.jpg.d326f7cb8cc3bb99616cd8b53383a4a2.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, transam said:

In the UK it is 7 years, something I find rather strange..????

Same, Same, Australia,  I think that they realize that Thais in general tend to let the servicing slide and are known for a lack of general maintenance in many areas, not to mention there are no real mechanics here to maintain the vehicles to a high standard as we know in our home countries.

Do you have voice command in your MG?

19 hours ago, JoePai said:

MG a performace brand 555

MG.jpg.d326f7cb8cc3bb99616cd8b53383a4a2.jpg

Well yes, the regular 1100cc was either a Morris or Austin, your 1965 MG variant had twin carbs and other stuff..

The basic 1100cc was 49hp, the MG 1100cc was 55hp, not much in today's market but back then it was noticeable. I put an MG 1100cc engine in a Mini, that means from 35hp to 55hp, that was fun...????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Same, Same, Australia,  I think that they realize that Thais in general tend to let the servicing slide and are known for a lack of general maintenance in many areas, not to mention there are no real mechanics here to maintain the vehicles to a high standard as we know in our home countries.

Do you have voice command in your MG?

No, my ex wife did......????

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, macahoom said:

I suggest you re-read my post slowly and try to comprehend.

I know it's difficult for you, but I think you can do it.

Chummy, you have no idea what's difficult for me, but it seems answering my questions is difficult for you, but never mind eh....Merry Christmas.....????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, transam said:

Chummy, you have no idea what's difficult for me, but it seems answering my questions is difficult for you, but never mind eh....Merry Christmas.....????

Sorry for bothering you, only picked up from your post to me , did not look at your previous post, Merry Xmas and a happy new year.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I think that they realize that Thais in general tend to let the servicing slide and are known for a lack of general maintenance in many areas, not to mention there are no real mechanics here to maintain the vehicles to a high standard as we know in our home countries.

Hogwash

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2020 at 10:00 AM, paddypower said:

try finding a panel beater.

Plenty around some old school too.

I had the tailgate on my Revo smoothed (remove handle, badges and brake light), he cut and welded in fresh steel then lead wiped it smooth. He did an awesome job and will also have him smooth the door handles and fuel filler door as well once the project progresses.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 1:39 PM, Techno Viking said:

Plenty around some old school too.

I had the tailgate on my Revo smoothed (remove handle, badges and brake light), he cut and welded in fresh steel then lead wiped it smooth. He did an awesome job and will also have him smooth the door handles and fuel filler door as well once the project progresses.

is the new Revo model available in Thailand

On 12/20/2020 at 1:30 PM, canthai55 said:

Hogwash

I agree, especially where you're looking at the most popular models. The huge increase in the number of MG models I have started to see on the roads in the past 18 months (plus new showrooms, service centres, all financed by the wealthiest family in Thailand, in partnership with MG) implies that owners will have no problem servicing their vehicles. Generalizing about Thia habits accomplishes nothing. Like most things in  life, caveat emptor - buyer beware.

On 12/20/2020 at 12:30 AM, DUNROAMIN said:

Sorry for bothering you, only picked up from your post to me , did not look at your previous post, Merry Xmas and a happy new year.

An good example of how adults respond to each other, when they realise they might have misunderstood.  :clap2:

Merry Christmas  and a happy new year, to all.????

On 12/20/2020 at 1:30 PM, canthai55 said:

Hogwash

Please provide proof of mechanics in Thailand that you know of that have studied through government tech schools for 4 years and have been an apprentice to a qualified mechanic or motor company for same years.

Cheers

On 12/18/2020 at 11:58 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's EasyCon - I got the name wrong in my earlier post and what it does is allow you to connect an Android device via a USB cable. Once connected, you can either just mirror your phone's screen, or launch a limited selection of apps from your phone, which will then show on the car's display screen. For example, Google Maps, Spotify and YouTube will all work - though I wouldn't advise watching videos while driving.

The EasyCon app is on the main menu of your car's display and you have to install it on your device as well, then enable USB debugging on the phone (instructions for this are available on the internet or through the app in your car) and as mentioned, connect it via cable.

The EasyCon app says it can also connect wirelessly but it seems the MG ZS software is not configured to allow this.

Hi, I have tried the easy connect which apparently is part of the MG ZS software built in, however I have found that it does work to a certain point, loads the mirror screen, then when you try to open other apps it comes up with a message on the screen, saying,  due to laws and regulations this connection cannot be performed, we apologize for this error.?? Got me,  the system tells you how to load the app, but then denies it??

Did you encounter this problem?

Cheers

2 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Please provide proof of mechanics in the US that you know of that have studied through government tech schools for 4 years and have been an apprentice to a qualified mechanic or motor company for same years.

Cheers

There - gave you some context.

I have had high end vehicles repaired in the US by different dealership with workmanship so shoddy, it was borderline criminal.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:50 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

Hi, I have tried the easy connect which apparently is part of the MG ZS software built in, however I have found that it does work to a certain point, loads the mirror screen, then when you try to open other apps it comes up with a message on the screen, saying,  due to laws and regulations this connection cannot be performed, we apologize for this error.?? Got me,  the system tells you how to load the app, but then denies it??

Cheers

Yes, I made that specific point in my post, when I said that you can only "launch a limited selection of apps from your phone," and I went on to list some of those that work.

• 2 years later...
On 12/23/2020 at 8:50 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

Cheers

Clearly you do not have enough Social Credit with the Chinese Communist Party to be allowed that level of functionality.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We've owned the 2020 MG ZS ICE version, for 2 years / 40k kms, and no complaints, and loved the car.  So much so, that we upgraded to the ZS EV IN 2022, since they upgraded the battery (size & IP rating), along with govt incentives, and having solar at the house, it really seemed a no brainer for us.

After 1 yr / 20k kms, still Lovin" it, and very happy with our choice.  Estimated battery degradation (unscientific) at ~ 0.277%

Edited by KhunLA