Kubota Vs New Yanmar

There is a recent thread on page 3? of this forum regarding tractors.

A horsepower range would help as Yanmar go to an Indian made range at 90 hp i think.

In the last couple of weeks i also have been studying the market.

Ford new holland have been seen to offer 300,000 baht off a new 7610s and prices have come down substancially on 60hp eurotrac tractors as well as the Anglo Thai Fords and 2nd hand refurbished Ford market since the start of the year so i think there is a few deals out there.

To your question of Kubota v Yanmar,check the specs as every farm has different  needs.

We have  new Yanmar and Iseki dealers in our area but their tractors seem slow to filter into the market against the Kubota's,John Deere's,New Holland's and old Ford's.  

Hello yes I went through that thread, maybe will go through it again, 

I agree  it seems not much is being sold I think it is also due to the prospective of the yanmar, and loyalty the brand Kubota

that is why i was interest in particular about the new yanmar, especially  when the engines are same as John deerr but tweaked a bit different. (Might be wrong)

Looking for  30 to 40 I think a 50HP will be a bit more than needed but nice to have the buffer.

So your not considering Yanmar or Kubota for your purchase. Is that personal preference, or is there a specific reason? (I also looked at the TT3)

7 hours ago, Zeid said:

So your not considering Yanmar or Kubota for your purchase. Is that personal preference, or is there a specific reason? (I also looked at the TT3)

Hi yes looking at all options but in the 80 plus horsepower range.

For some reason in the new tractors the ft-90 Eurotrac sticks in my head with the Perkins engine and Carraro front axle as cheaper horsepower but will do more research as Oothai mentioned he didn't like their PTO arrangement.A guy down the road has the 100hp model so will ask him a few questions.

If i could get away with smaller horsepower(60-70) and get the creature comforts of a a/c cab would be good but not sure if this offset disc i just bought will work so it will be a matter of getting a few local guys out with different tractors to see what is needed in that department.

On youtube Tractorboyz do very good summaries of comparing brands in the same horsepower range although it is in Thai.

Haha yes tractorboys made me wish actually  put more effort in learning Thai.

I like the high torque on lower rpm on the New holland.

For yanmar what got me interested is their corn planter, but I guess  you can buy it to use with any other, except John deere as I was told that their implements are not interchangeable 

On 11/27/2020 at 8:06 PM, farmerjo said:

There is a recent thread on page 3? of this forum regarding tractors.

A horsepower range would help as Yanmar go to an Indian made range at 90 hp i think.

In the last couple of weeks i also have been studying the market.

Ford new holland have been seen to offer 300,000 baht off a new 7610s and prices have come down substancially on 60hp eurotrac tractors as well as the Anglo Thai Fords and 2nd hand refurbished Ford market since the start of the year so i think there is a few deals out there.

To your question of Kubota v Yanmar,check the specs as every farm has different  needs.

We have  new Yanmar and Iseki dealers in our area but their tractors seem slow to filter into the market against the Kubota's,John Deere's,New Holland's and old Ford's.  

Same as us we have a new Yanmar dealer in our area ,they seem very quiet ,do not see many new ones about.

We have a few older  35hp Yanmar's in this area ,and they seem to keep going without any problems .

A few new Kubota's and John Deer's about ,the JD dealer is only 20 km up the road.

One dealer brought in 12 second hand Fords from Japan ,most are still in their  yard ,a dairy farmer friend of mine brought one, paid 400 k .

The talk is Kubota's new deal buy a new Kubota 25 hp ,pay for it over 10 years ,pay once a year at rice harvest time ,tractor is 200k you pay back 250k ,25% interest.

Wife's son-in-law was talking about this deal ,that was before he harvested his crop and got 9.10baht/kg, I think he will be back to his Kwie- Lec next year ,and he has just paid his  rent for next year, 1200 baht/rie for his 24 rie ,rice fields. 

• Like 1

yes just today i asked i was told there is a company called ASB that does john deere cabs for 160K

and more on tractors, today i had an interesting discussion, as below

• Kubota is very popular machine, average not spectacular
  • New Holland Good, but high maintenance cost and spare parts if needed
  • Yanmar/John Deere best engines (They share same engines) Yanmar everything else average,
  • Seems John Deere got the best of that discussion, as spare parts are available cheaply from indian factory.

not sure what are your thoughts about the above.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zeid said:

yes just today i asked i was told there is a company called ASB that does john deere cabs for 160K

and more on tractors, today i had an interesting discussion, as below

• Kubota is very popular machine, average not spectacular
  • New Holland Good, but high maintenance cost and spare parts if needed
  • Yanmar/John Deere best engines (They share same engines) Yanmar everything else average,
  • Seems John Deere got the best of that discussion, as spare parts are available cheaply from indian factory.

not sure what are your thoughts about the above.

I think the Kubota are about the only tractor that are not a Component machine these days.

Nothing wrong with component tractors as long as the parts are the ones you want.

I have more research to do on front axles which is a big seller to me.

Not sold on bevel gears like Kubota have,i like carraro,my ford has ZF and a few support Dana spicer now.

A lot will depend how much you value resale value.

To me at this stage a Chinese component tractor with a Asb cab could save 4-500,000 baht and a few less wire harnesses for the the rats to eat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kickstart said:

Only the smaller JD's ,and then not all the models up to 40 hp ,our local JD dealer has 50hp+ ,these are all JD's  own tractors .

Good Morning

So you would say 50-55 range which one would be a better choice? And why will that be in your opinion or why not?

Or your first choice is neither ? ????

15 hours ago, Zeid said:

Good Morning

So you would say 50-55 range which one would be a better choice? And why will that be in your opinion or why not?

Or your first choice is neither ? ????

My first choice ,depends on what you want of a tractor if it is just for rice fields a 36 hp kubota and Rotavator would do the job ,if you are growing corn ,and what  to do your own ploughing then your 50 + would be needed 

But ,I would go for the 36 hp Kubota or Yanmar  and get a local guy to do the heavy ploughing with his Ford  or what ever.

JD"s are all right but I would think about spear parts ,the odds of a major engine/back end rebuild I would say is remote with just a few rie ,and modern day engines ,just filters mainly ,our JD dealer is the second one in the area, last one lasted 2 years ,and looking at our local Yanmar dealer he might not last long .

How long a dealer last depends on how  farmers pay for the tractor, ie  any special deals,very low interest rates ,deferred payment etc ,that is where kubota win ,looking at Thai tv they always seem to be having promotions.

A big Kubota dealer near Saraburi  has a lot of second hand tractors in .I would say most would be reprocessed. 

Today I had an interesting call back from one of the brands head office.

Which kind of sealed the deal at a New Holland TT3.50

It was an interesting  discussion  and un expected from a dealership here to say the  pros and cons.

But below is summery if anyone interested  of why I decided to to go with a new holland, based on various reads, discussions and comments, comments welcome. 

Japanese tractors here are mostly designed for rice paddies, JD and New Holland will or might not be able to compete with them on rice paddies.

New holland designed more for cash crops, and hence the modified design on the TT3.5 where you have two options on front axle, to make it more wet field friendly

New holland and JD both manufactured  in pune India, so relative costs and maintenance  should not be that far apart.

JD has more of a reputation  so might end up buying a name more than a machine

I like the high torque on low RPM and big tank on the New Holland, as well as more competitive financing.

And finally I think what sealed the deal is the blue color 55555.( I do not believe there is a correct choice)  Let's just hope blue is a lucky color.

As for engine size I agree with Kickstart on getting a smaller one and heavy lifting done by others, but I was getting many shrugs on why I want to plough or turn the soil downwards, same direction.and will be wasting time and gas and and and. So was another sign to get a mid size 50 HP price between 54 and 49 is not much and does not justify  the higher cost,.and should do the same work.

Thank you all for the inputs

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zeid said:

New holland designed more for cash crops, and hence the modified design on the TT3.5 where you have two options on front axle, to make it more wet field friendly

Zeid

I had a look on Google at this model and it says it comes standard as a 2 wheel drive so is the second option to have 4 wheel drive?  If yes did you choose the 4 wheel drive front axle?

Also does it come with a "blade" on the front as it seems most Thai tractors have?  I find the blade a nuisance most of the time and prefer to take it off when working in the paddies. In my opinion it makes the whole tractor lighter and allows you to drive closer to the paddy bank even over it if the bank is not too high.  The drawback is if you managed to get bogged and don't have the blade on you can't use it to lift the front up to put logs under the front wheels.  I have tried to think of a way to make and attachment that uses the blades ram to lift the front but so far unsuccessful.

If you end up like me you will be very happy with your new "toy". I have a TT4.55

Edited by OOTAI
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OOTAI said:

Zeid

I had a look on Google at this model and it says it comes standard as a 2 wheel drive so is the second option to have 4 wheel drive?  If yes did you choose the 4 wheel drive front axle?

Also does it come with a "blade" on the front as it seems most Thai tractors have?  I find the blade a nuisance most of the time and prefer to take it off when working in the paddies. In my opinion it makes the whole tractor lighter and allows you to drive closer to the paddy bank even over it if the bank is not too high.  The drawback is if you managed to get bogged and don't have the blade on you can't use it to lift the front up to put logs under the front wheels.  I have tried to think of a way to make and attachment that uses the blades ram to lift the front but so far unsuccessful.

If you end up like me you will be very happy with your new "toy". I have a TT4.55

Hello

Plaw Tang: off set wheel and smaller wheels - modified for rice paddies

Plaw Tong: bigger wheels and tires

yes both are 4WD, it comes with a blade, but we can use the blade as part of the down payment if we do not need it, it also comes with an extra implement. I do not see needing a blade at this moment,  not sure how often people use it other than for leveling, or pushing dirt aside, the extra front weight can always be compensated with placing front weight.

Yes the TT4.55 I will not mind having, but can not justify the price difference for a pet project. Glad your happy with yours, and hopefully will have the same experience.

21 hours ago, Zeid said:

Today I had an interesting call back from one of the brands head office.

Which kind of sealed the deal at a New Holland TT3.50

It was an interesting  discussion  and un expected from a dealership here to say the  pros and cons.

But below is summery if anyone interested  of why I decided to to go with a new holland, based on various reads, discussions and comments, comments welcome. 

Japanese tractors here are mostly designed for rice paddies, JD and New Holland will or might not be able to compete with them on rice paddies.

New holland and JD both manufactured  in pune India, so relative costs and maintenance  should not be that far apart.

JD has more of a reputation  so might end up buying a name more than a machine

I like the high torque on low RPM and big tank on the New Holland, as well as more competitive financing.

And finally I think what sealed the deal is the blue color 55555.( I do not believe there is a correct choice)  Let's just hope blue is a lucky color.

As for engine size I agree with Kickstart on getting a smaller one and heavy lifting done by others, but I was getting many shrugs on why I want to plough or turn the soil downwards, same direction.and will be wasting time and gas and and and. So was another sign to get a mid size 50 HP price between 54 and 49 is not much and does not justify  the higher cost,.and should do the same work.

Thank you all for the inputs

Blue is the colour ,New Holland brought the Ford tractor business ,Ford said you can not use our name ,NH thinking they could ride on the back of the Ford name .

But they kept the Ford blue ,but in this area they are a couple of NH TS modals that are red.

I think your new tractor will have spool valves ,not that they is a lot of hydraulic implements in Thailand ,

you could get a tipping trailer made up, could be useful.

Saying that, coming home this evening ,about dark I saw a Yanmar tipping a trailer ,most Yanmars do not have spool valves fitted .the owner must have fitted one himself ,or he used a pto pump ,lifted from a 6-wheel truck .