Tourism revenue in 2023 expected to reach 80% of 2019

webfact

1 hour ago, decca60 said:

By 2023, the remaining survivors of the Thai toutism facilities will not be sufficient to welcome 80% of 2019 visitors; should this happen...... weekly TAT delirium again.....

Exactly the point. What analysis has been done or even considered regarding what functioning remaining infrastructure,skills etc. from an industry that will have died by then and how to restore it ? I suggest that this kind of level of thinking,foresight and planning is way beyond the competence of virtually every official. Much easier just to spout meaningless unsubstantiated claims 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yourself excluded?

Never, I need my strength every time I look at another daily TAT report or story that indicates some other idea to bring in tourism or that so many million are coming, or...well I could go on but i don't have the strength.

• Haha 1

Well, Mr. TAT I suggest you start reading about what's going on in the rest of the world before you start making any predictions. Take East Africa for example. National parks there depend on the revenue from tourism to fund protection of endangered animals, strange irony in itself, as well as the impact on people in the region. Kenya has seen, according to a New Scientist article, a 92% decline in ectotourism and although the generated revenue is much smaller than the figures quoted in the OP the impact could be more devastating in a comparative sense. And this is the final quote for the article; 'But there seems little choice but to change, as international air travel is expected to stay subdued for several years after the pandemic. “Conservation as we know it is at risk,” says McVey. “It feels like we are in a world of adapt or die.”

So Mr. TAT, as many here on TV have said in recent weeks, stop thinking about a quick and easy return of tourists, 'it ain't going to happen', because other countries are just not thinking that way...even with a vaccine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

2020 is pretty much a write-off with about 20% of the 2019 revenue. 

The most pressing question is how will 2021 be?

Different agencies have projected 8-11 million tourists, so it could be 20-25% of 2019 levels. 

Meager years ahead for the tourist industry,  but good deals should be plentiful for us local travelers. 

The problem with the good deals for locals is that there may not be many hotels left to chose from at the end of 2021. Hotel owners don't have unlimited funds to keep the operation running at normal service levels.

Edited by Miami007
Typos
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that China had not allowed its citizens to travel on group tours, until a vaccine is ready. “This is what Chinese representatives told the Minister of Tourism and Sports on Wednesday,” he said.

I know a lot of chinese. They are not coming next year.
The government wants them to spend their money in China instead.
So the solution, they are not allowing chinese to traval abroad without the vaccine and at the same time it will be difficult for chinese to get the vaccine (if you are not well connected or business related etc...).

Most chinese I know are spending their holidays in China.

Seems we, European and american will be the king next year ????

"under the plan to revive the sector in 2022 and 2023."  ROFLMAO . TAT couldn't plan a <deleted> up in a pub .

Get serious about wanting to get people back without trying to do them over  on re-entry . 500,000 baht in bank account , buy million baht  elite visa , buy 5 million baht condo . #uck off.

1, Covid test

2, Covid insurance

3, Quarantine 

Job done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Olivie said:

I know a lot of chinese. They are not coming next year.
The government wants them to spend their money in China instead.
So the solution, they are not allowing chinese to traval abroad without the vaccine and at the same time it will be difficult for chinese to get the vaccine (if you are not well connected or business related etc...).

Most chinese I know are spending their holidays in China.

Seems we, European and american will be the king next year ????

How many do you know? One miilion, two?

A drop in the ocean.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:01 PM, Migrosmarket said:

The TAT needs to talk to Immigration before making announcements about tourism......

The government has been divided for ages, and if they were communicating with each other, it would not make a different. 

If my pockets can’t get full then why should I allow you to full your pockets.????????????????

On 11/27/2020 at 12:59 PM, webfact said:

He added that China had not allowed its citizens to travel on group tours, until a vaccine is ready.

According to some previous news of Thaivisa, they were claiming China had boat loads of tourist already coming. What happens?  

Think of a number. The clowns at TAT have to keep coming up with these statements just to be seen to be doing "something" when in reality, there is no chance of any tourism until second half of 2021 (at earliest). Even then the numbers will be subdued as most of the world is grappling with lost jobs, reduced income, outbound travel restrictions, incoming restrictions and remaining high levels of Covid-19 infection. The vaccines may help but will take time. Dream on TAT and we look forward to your next laughable predictions to keep us entertained.

These delusional TAT statements are meant for 'internal government consumption' to prove TAT has a reason for existence and them using the term 'tourists' is nothing more than a smoke-screen.

It is blatantly obvious that with the current conditions (Visa restrictions, insurance requirements, mandatory quarantaine) as good as ZERO tourists will consider a Thai holiday.

Those that do face the hurdles to come back are not tourists, but have ties with Thailand and are returning to their families, girlfriends, ...  With no tourists for 9 months the actual 'tourist industry' has died or is on the verge of doing so, and it will take a long time to build up the tourist infrastructure again.  TAT now mentioning 2023, indicates that they are aware of this, and are just 'testing the waters' for the harsh unspoken message re 2021-2022.  

It is also obvious by now that most of 2021 is 'lost' already even when they would scrap quarantaine (unthinkable given the hysteria when one single domestic covid-case turns up) or a non-solution like a vaccine becomes available.

I feel for the Thai population that build a living on catering for mainly foreign tourists although Tourist Hot-Spots were never my thing     

• Like 1