Thai road carnage: Musician was making video call to girlfriend when he drove into lamppost

webfact

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude has to do with the misfortune of others. It has nothing to do with outright stupidity?

Video call? How can one look at two things at once? Talking on the phone while driving is bad enough but...

Edited by VocalNeal

6 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

A competent accident investigator would be able to work out an approximate speed. Even from this short report their is evidence. Eg debri thrown 15 metres, no reaction time I would think , if he was on his phone no braking occured. A good chance of retrieving the last speed from his speedo or maybe a GPS system. The physics of a moving car  to approximate speed is possible , Not sure about here though

I guess about the same speed as the red bull driver 78 kph :whistling:

8 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

The speed of light in a vacuum is 186,282 miles per second..... Don't think he was that much slower !!

He now knows the difference between the speed of light and the speed of a light post.?

Probably not. Maybe he only is  familiar with speed!

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just today seen a report about one of the most frequent reasons for traffic accidents in Germany(!).

Guess what.

Fine is 125 Euro.

More than once distracted truck drivers crashed into traffic backlogs killing people.

In queensland ( au)The Gov.doesnt muck around..$1000 fine for driving whilst holding a mobile phone or talking on it.Also 8 Demerit points.They also have special cameras set up that can look into you car to catch you.Does it deter the Idiots.??.NO !! They catch hundreds every day.A good little earner I reckon.

7 hours ago, wavodavo said:

I reckon you would make more money in Thailand as a tow truck driver than a Panel Beater !!      They sure wreck them good.

Sadly, a lot of Thai drivers seem to take the "drive as fast as possible, in the most dangerous way possible" approach.  Anything else would be mai sanook!

On 11/27/2020 at 8:32 AM, Asquith Production said:

A competent accident investigator would be able to work out an approximate speed. Even from this short report their is evidence. Eg debri thrown 15 metres, no reaction time I would think , if he was on his phone no braking occured. A good chance of retrieving the last speed from his speedo or maybe a GPS system. The physics of a moving car  to approximate speed is possible , Not sure about here though

I beleive that accident investigators are now able to analyse some data from vehicle engine management systems to gain insights into speeds and crash data. Would not be surprised if these devices become a requirement same as "black boxes" like planes have in the future (certainly by western governments and insurance companies). 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 10:27 AM, hotchilli said:

With so much road carnage you have to laugh... or the alternative is cry.

I'm sure there's more of the latter among family and friends.  Agree, there's so much of it around, I drive a lot from BKK/Pattaya/Loei, had an accident a few years ago, young kid  (14) U-TURNED in front of me on a scooter, I thought I'd killed him as I saw him skid down the road in my side mirror, thankfully he was ok.  3 hours in the Police station, no fault found on my part, had my family in the car, the Police asked me to give the mother 500 baht for the hospital/rescue as she had no money, which I willingly gave. 

Stay safe.

15 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I beleive that accident investigators are now able to analyse some data from vehicle engine management systems to gain insights into speeds and crash data. Would not be surprised if these devices become a requirement same as "black boxes" like planes have in the future (certainly by western governments and insurance companies). 

While recently ’stuck’ in the UK for a few months (unable to return to Thailand until foreign spouses were permitted entry), I purchased a 2 year old car. It was a good deal, I sold it again a week before I returned for exactly the same I’d paid for it. 

I was offered a better deal on the insurance if I agreed to having a ‘black box’ in my car - A GPS device which was to be plugged in at all times. I think the deal was, that if I was driving like a nutter, my premium would increase, otherwise I’d continue to keep the same ‘reduced premium’. 

I wonder if I was involved in an accident and speeding could the insurance company ‘void’ my insurance. 

I wonder exactly how much data they received of my location / speed etc

I think the ‘black box’ thing is definitely coming. 

That said, I could never understand why cars don’t have dash-cams already inbuilt, they are cheap and most cars have a reverse camera anyway, so just add another to the front. 

But..... I realised these cameras are illegal in some countries, such as France, for invasion of privacy laws. Thus, the ‘black box’ thing maybe much further away than I think. 

On 11/27/2020 at 12:32 AM, Asquith Production said:

There is specialized software that calculates everything.  My friend is a California Highway Patrol MAIT (major accident investigation team) investigator and I have seen her inputting just about everything including weight of lamp post to come out with a report that calculates speed and includes 3-D animation of the accident.  Most Western countries uses something similar.

Somehow, I do do not think Thailand does.

• Like 1