19 returnees, mostly Thai, test positive in state quarantine

webfact

19 returnees, mostly Thai, test positive in state quarantine

By The Nation

800_4722b8f504de3fa.jpg?v=1606459456

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration reported 19 new cases in state quarantine facilities over a 24-hour period on Friday.

Most of the new cases are Thais returning from Europe and Middle East.

Of the new cases, three were returnees from the US, namely two Thai men aged 30 and 75, and a 61-year-old American national, who checked into a state quarantine hotel in Bangkok on November 14.

They tested positive between November 24 and 25. The 75-year-old man was found to be a repeat case, as he had been infected once before on October 28.

The fourth case was a 27-year-old Thai businesswoman, who had flown back from the United Kingdom and checked into a quarantine hotel in Bangkok on November 16. She tested positive on November 24 and had fever, sore throat and headache.

A 30-year-old chef who returned from Luxembourg on November 19 and checked into a quarantine hotel in Bangkok tested positive on November 24.

A 40-year-old mother and her three children – sons aged five and 10 and daughter aged 12 – arrived from Saudi Arabia on November 20 and checked into a state quarantine facility in Chonburi, where they tested positive on November 24.

Two Indian nationals, a 32-year-old salaryman and a 44-year-old engineer, arrived on November 11 and checked into a quarantine hotel in Bangkok, where they tested positive on November 23.

A 31-year-old Thai masseuse returned from Sweden on November 12 and checked into a state quarantine hotel, where she tested positive on November 24 and was found to be suffering from a fever, sore throat and headache.

Two Thai women, aged 26 and 52, flew back from Germany on November 14 and checked into a state quarantine facility in Chonburi, where they tested positive on November 25.

A 42-year-old Italian programmer, who landed in Thailand on November 16 after taking a connecting flight from the United Arab Emirates, tested positive on November 21 at an alternative quarantine hotel in Bangkok.

A 69-year-old Omani businessman who arrived on November 19 and went alternative state quarantine hotel in Samut Prakan tested positive for virus on November 24.

Two 37-year-old Thai women, one a masseuse and the other a businesswoman, returned from Georgia on November 21 and checked into a state quarantine facility in Chonburi. They were found positive on November 24.

A 41-year-old Thai returned from Poland on November 21 and went to state quarantine facility in Chonburi, where he tested positive on November 25.

Meanwhile, two earlier patients have recovered and discharged.

The total number of confirmed cases in Thailand has risen to 3,961 (1,000 in state quarantine), 111 of whom are in hospital and 3,790 have recovered and been discharged. The death toll remains unchanged at 60.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am on Friday, the total number of confirmed cases worldwide has hit 61.3 million (up by 540,802). Of them, 42.39 million have recovered, while 17.47 million are active cases (104,903 in severe condition) and 1.44 million have died (up by 10,953).

Thailand ranks 151st for most cases in the world, while the US tops the list with 13.25 million, followed by India 9.3 million, Brazil 6.2 million, Russia 2.19 million and France 2.18 million.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398682

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-27

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

The 75-year-old man was found to be a repeat case, as he had been infected once before on October 28.

So does this mean that people who have been released from quaratine can have a relapse and infect the general popluation ?

It appears the only real hope is a vaccine .

Edited by keith101

48 minutes ago, keith101 said:

So does this mean that people who have been released from quarantine can have a relapse and infect the general population ?

It will be only by the grace of god and sheer pure luck that any of the infected and quarantined released back into the general population will not relapse and infect others and thus introducing Covid in to Thailand all over again...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

So does this mean that people who have been released from quaratine can have a relapse and infect the general popluation ?

Could just be that the tests are not reliable  and/or performed/processed properly.

And if these people are reinfected then that doesn't bode well for a vaccine does it ?

10 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Obviously this has nothing to do with Thai-bashing but simple common sense that aireplane boarding-rules should  not force some to test negative and then 'mix' them with untested passengers in a cramped space like an aeroplane.

I believe that in due course we will see policies enforced at airports whereby everyone will be rapid tested in the airport during the checkin process.

If the test shows the presence of COVID then your trip ends there.

This will happen, it's been tested already and it will be rolled out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

I believe that in due course we will see policies enforced at airports whereby everyone will be rapid tested in the airport during the checkin process.

If the test shows the presence of COVID then your trip ends there.

This will happen, it's been tested already and it will be rolled out.

I certainly hope so. Test positive and you ain't boarding. 

• Like 2

Cleaning robots are the way to go. I read an article that said UVC light  can kill 99.99 percent of SARS-CoV-2 viral particles in 2 minutes. In the future, it’s possible that robots like this could be used for disinfection of hospital rooms, hotel rooms, and airplanes.

• Like 1

As I said last week I can’t for the life of me understand why Thais are not made to take a PCR test before flying . As for ASQ it seems toss of a coin that you might get infected there and the numbers of infected coming from the Middle East over last few months has made me decide to not fly with emirates via Dubai to Bkk unless they make it mandatory for everyone to be tested before flying with them . Will take my still high but better chances of flying with Eva from uk to Bkk !

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 8:47 AM, keith101 said:

Yes they can. And a vaccine wont protect for the 100% either. So the conclusion is that we have to live with it. 

• Like 2

So the Fit to Fly certificate and Covid19 test are a waste of time if you are a Thai, as you can board a plane and infect all the other passengers and no one gives a s##t.   Damned if I be flying on an airline that carried Thai passengers to LoS 

• Like 1