High-income tourists to return next year despite K-shaped recovery: TDRI

webfact

On 11/27/2020 at 7:46 AM, webfact said:

Somkiat Tangkitvanich, president of Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), says the global economy is recovering in a K-shaped trend

translated means those with dosh are on the upward escalator and the peasants are on the down one ..

unless of course your head of the flock like me in which case you get to ride them first .. 

IMG_20201128_120947.jpg

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VBF said:

I was going to reply to your original post, but this says basically what I was going to say.

As a tourist, I have only once felt insulted as a foreigner in Thailand, but I have several friends who live in Thailand and their feelings are similar to yours, especially the 3 who speak reasonable Thai and therefore know more of what is being said about them.

As much as I'm looking forward to returning to Thailand someday, I'm glad I never made the permanent move.

Well, for many of us, we are thrilled to have made the move here. Though I have some issues with the place, that would hold true for where ever I lived. Life here is very good for many of us. I live very well, on a decent income, have an amazing Thai wife, she has an exceptionally good family, and we love our lives here. Some take my complaints to mean I do not like Thailand or the Thai people. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just some healthy, light hearted venting, is all it is. 

I do despise the government here and consider them to be extremely toxic. But, I despise the Trump administration too. So, going back to the US is not an option for me. Even with a decent man as a leader now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting. Firstly, the English language press misquoted/mistranslated(although not by mistake) what Anutin said. He was perfectly correct in what he said about farang not wearing and refusing free masks. 

Secondly, not sure what the head of immigration said but this year I've become a naturalized Thai citizen and the process has never been easier/faster. This is under Prayut, and Anupong(interior minister). Strange if they are anti foreigner. 

Other PMs were more anti foreigners with Taksin, for example raising visas/ectensions by 300%, and raising Permanent Residency by 800%.

Interesting. How difficult was the Thai portion of the testing and qualification? Were you already a permanent resident? 

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Interesting. How difficult was the Thai portion of the testing and qualification? Were you already a permanent resident? 

No, I wasn't a PR before. The citizenship process is under 3 years at eh moment and that is with a delay for Covid. 

The Thai test was extremely easy, just 10 multiple choice questions. For example, "when is Father's Day?" You could actually get them all wrongand still qualify, if you get points in other areas. You need 50 out of a possible 100. Thai language these days is a maximum of 15 points.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, androokery said:

I have, both Emirates and Qatar, but I don’t remember sitting next to someone very old, very sick or very fat. The last one I would have remembered. Please, obese people: if you fly economy, buy two tickets. Or there WILL be a scene if you’re seated next to me. 

I only ever fly to Thailand with my very small very slim Thai wife and she always sits in the middle seat, dont worry you'll be fine. 

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2020 at 9:13 AM, androokery said:

Sorry to double-quote you like this, but I just got to thinking about how much you could charge for the vaccine. 

15-day quarantine costs THB 45,000+

You'd be willing to pay at least THB 2,000 per day NOT to sit in quarantine.

That's THB 75,000 in one hand and the vaccine in the other - how much would one be willing to pay to jump the queue? 

Disappointing maybe but it's free over here.

18 hours ago, aussienam said:

What's the bet all the ever so 'virtuous' hypocritical multi millionaire celebrities, tycoons and other elite, will all be getting top of the queue priority for vaccination over everyone else.  After all, they need to fly to important concerts, film studios, etc to meet the needs of their fans and tycoons need to hop in their private jets and zoom about.  They'll have some PR screed all ready to go to explain why they needed it and it will be 'virtuous'.  

Do you live in a mickey mouse country like Thailand ?

"High-income tourists to return next year despite K-shaped recovery:"

I don't know if  this guys institute is government sponsored but someone needs to get in front of these guys and explain what Thailand wants is high-spending tourists which is not necessarily related to their income . The "two week millionaires" saves up all year for a holiday blowout and everyone benefits from their largesse . The expat with a home and family drops over 500,000 baht during his 6 month stay . Not to mention homes they build , cars they buy , trips they take , insurance they pay and so on and so on.

They need to stop focussing on "high-income" tourists with their unappealing incentives and focus on regular tourists/expats that make tourism profitable .

You have to give them points for self importance because they keep pretending like they are the cat's ass but really have neither academic or cultural significance in the world . I mean when Red Bull is your most famous discovery then it is time to lower the expectations and stop trying to punch above your weight class . 

When people have to hold their nose when walking down streets of your citiesand towns  because of rotting garbage you need to address a clean up/anti-littering  plan not think you are so desirable because you tell people you are .  When people who have some epperience living in your country can tell stories of police and  immigration corruption that they have personally been sublected to  then it is time well spent on fixing these issues and not just telling everyone how great you are. 

Every year I spend 6 months in Thailand and have a smashing time because I have learned to never stand on principle and just pay (haggle if you can) but at the end of the day the Falang must pay . After all ,Thai thinking reasons there would not have been a problem if you had not come to their country .

The irony is their simplicity is both endearing and frustrating at the same time . 

On 11/27/2020 at 3:59 PM, DLock said:

That little quip is certainly very telling of how Thailand see's the vaccine being distributed.

...but fortunately other countries are a bit smarter than old Somkiat, and the vaccine will go to healthcare workers and the vulnerable first...not the wealthy.

Calculation may be incorrect slapnuts.

Fail.

You'll probably be required to be vaccinated before boarding an aircraft.

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have not either. But, I do experience it from the government offices. That was the distinction I was making. I find most Thai people warm, light hearted, fun and helpful. Or neutral at worst. 

Accepted. All I'm saying is that I think it's more a class thing than xenophobia when you get to Anutin/Prayut levels. They clearly even hold their own people in contempt.

31 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Accepted. All I'm saying is that I think it's more a class thing than xenophobia when you get to Anutin/Prayut levels. They clearly even hold their own people in contempt.

Absolutely correct. The problem with appointing a man as tourism minster, who owns every PTT station in Thailand as tourism minister, and is worth many billions of baht, is that he is utterly disconnected with the industry and the people he is supposedly serving. It matters not one iota to him, the degree of their suffering and the financial chaos the masses and the industry faces. Not to mention his stunning lack of experience, when it comes to tourism (and sports!). 

The fact is, the tourism industry was already suffering a catastrophic drop, in the quality of tourist, long before Covid. Now, this is a tragically convenient excuse for them to remain both entirely unprogressive with regard to policy, and for the hapless army to remain in power. 

• Like 1