Environment Ministry launches project to convert dried leaves into solid fuel

webfact

B6DD59A7-FED6-4122-83D4-E4AB72DEDB2D.jpe

Thailand’s Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment has come up with an innovative project to transform natural waste, such as dried leaves in forests, into a renewable energy source. They have set a target, for 17 northern provinces, to convert 100 tonnes of dried leaves per day into solid fuel.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa says that project could help reduce hotspots during the dry season by as much as 20% and, consequently, ease the problem of dust particles, especially PM2.5, in the atmosphere.

Instead of burning dried leaves in the forests, he said that utilizing the waste would be more sensible and could provide a new source of income for rural people.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/environment-ministry-launches-project-to-convert-dried-leaves-into-solid-fuel/

thaipbs.jpg

Nothing new or innovative, just not implemented here. First promoted here in 1994 at Queen Sirikit Exhibition Center, which showed a hand bricketting press for turning dry leaves etc into brickettes. Has been popular in Japan since 1925 and in Nepal since recorded history. I worked on the design of a project for turning forestry waste into fuel brickettes in Romania in 2003. The purpose of bricketting the dried leaves and not just throwing them into the incinerator, is because the uncompressed leaves take a lot of room in the incinerator for a given heat output. Therefore we brickette them which allows a lot more heat efficiency.

• Like 1

Sad. Disturbing forest habitat and taking the leaves from the delicate ecosystem is harmful to the forest. Leaves provide weed control, erosion control, habitat, nest material, replenish the soil, and provide many other uses in the forest. Maybe they should think about putting an end to the burning instead. Then they could target a 100% reduction in hotspots instead of just 20%. The forests and the people would benefit far more.

• Like 2

Great idea, but could he also extend that to the rice and sugar cane industry as farmers could provide him with tonnes of their waste and he could come up with another great idea on what to do with it instead of them burning it, sure this will reduce the PM 2.5 issue more than forest leaves, but then again, does the minister want to know the real reason PM 2.5 is around, or will it be the old, hear no evil, see no evil saying, cough, cough.

Edited by 4MyEgo

100 tons of dried leaves a day, I don't think they have thought it through,

can you imagine how many people that is going to take,it would be good

if they could make it work,but they better look quick, as the burning season 

is about to start and there will be no leaves left to collect.

I would like to think this year will be be different with no burning of the forests,

but I am not holding my breath ,pun intended, As nothing happens year after

year the people of the North have to suffer smoke and pollution of the air.

regards Worgeordie

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Who's going to collect the Leaves and at what cost,still to be burned .

Let the people collect them for compost (if they not to Lazy).

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Instead of burning dried leaves in the forests, he said that utilizing the waste would be more sensible and could provide a new source of income for rural people

Never seen leaves burnt in a forest here, why would they do that? let them rot and feed the land, adding mulch retaining moisture. I think yet another U-turn is on the way.