Scotland's Sturgeon puts UK on independence warning: We want a referendum soon

webfact

21 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The Scottish government has already said they could have a referendum on leaving.

But thats not what the Shetland Isles want. They want more autonomy. Which was backed by the, wait for it, SNP councilors in the Shetland Isles. 

I have to say I actually agree with them. They are better placed to decide what is good for their islands than anyone else.

WOW! Thanks, that's very interesting. So i've just been reading about this and it turns out they really dislike the SNP!

"As the paper notes, if the Shetlands were to shake off Holyrood’s rule, “they would keep the revenues from oil in their waters - dealing a blow to the finances of a would-be independent Scotland”.

Now that would be a disaster for future finances of an independent Scotland. Perhaps if the SNP hadn't kept cutting the budget they would't be so impoverished

https://www.theweek.co.uk/108070/shetlanders-push-for-independence-from-scotland

Edited by 2530Ubon

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

So your only hope of keeping the union together is to make sure there is never a referendum again

What about will of the people and democracy. 

Again, you assume that the Union is fractured and needs keeping together. Visions of Johnson's home office underlings applying Polyfilla and superglue over otherwise invisible cracks.

Is this just because the First Minister says it is or do you have evidence beyond the oft-repeated but as yet unsubstantiated "Scottish people want to leave" mantra? For what they're worth, I think I saw some polls in earlier pages but they are far from reflecting any resounding call to up and leave. What's the rush?

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

This is the attitude I cannot understand. Brexit won so we should all get behind it? How utterly ridiculous a suggestion that is.

I suspect its because they want to alleviate themselves of responsibility. Cant be easy waking up every morning knowing you voted for something which damages the country and 48% of the people keep reminding you of what you have done. 

Kind of a "Yes I know I took a pee in the village well but stop going on about it" thing ???? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

If the party in which is fairly elected accomplished their win under the promise of seeking another referendum, that is a mandate. I appreciate that the democratic result of repeated elections in Scotland might go against your own wishes, but that's democracy for you.

As for Shetland, keep spouting this nonsense and ensuring we all realise just how little you know about Scotland or the Shetlands, or about international law for that matter.

shetland.jpg.2eea2f4f79e46648fe4a238d963f7066.jpg

• Haha 2

On 11/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, webfact said:

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said the 2014 independence referendum was decisive and a once in a generation event, so should be respected. His government says there should not be another independence referendum in the near future.

Quite correct Boris. Its about time ANYONE who doesnt get their way starts to accept it. Im sick and tired of alleged adults acting like infants who's mummy has just said no to. Its cringeworthy at best. 

On 11/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, webfact said:

But if Sturgeon wins the May 6 Scottish election, Johnson will have a difficult choice: refuse a referendum and thus allow Scottish discontent to simmer or allow a referendum which could break apart the union he says is so dear to him and his party.

Scottish discontentment to simmer? Big whoop, its simmering now. I see it everyday on STVNews and the independants arnt arf an embarrassing bunch of nastiness. Haha, oooh a simmering Scot, what's he gonna do? Write a strongly worded letter?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Quite correct Boris. Its about time ANYONE who doesnt get their way starts to accept it. Im sick and tired of alleged adults acting like infants who's mummy has just said no to. Its cringeworthy at best. 

Scottish discontentment to simmer? Big whoop, its simmering now. I see it everyday on STVNews and the independants arnt arf an embarrassing bunch of nastiness. Haha, oooh a simmering Scot, what's he gonna do? Write a strongly worded letter?

Excellent. Another English nationalist expresses his views.

Welcome to the party pal. 

• Haha 2

On 11/27/2020 at 3:43 PM, robblok said:

Strange Brexiteers wanting freedom but not respecting the Scots to want the same. Double standards anyone ?

As far as Im concerned if you vote it and win, crack on. Democracy is democracy yet you seem to have missed that gig by stamping your feet only 6 years after the original which you lost, remember?

Strange also that you want to get out of 1 union yet rejoin another and call those who wish to stay part of the UK "Yoons"? Its obviously Scotland who are the Yoons jumping from 1 to another ???? hardly Independance now is it? Oh and lastly, we English were labelled racist for wanting out of the EU, yet you Scots are never labelled that are you, even though you hate us deeply

Double standards x 2 anyone?

• Like 2

How does this nastiness you refer to manifest itself? I live in the heart of Ian Blackford's constituency and see nothing of the sort. I travel about the country and see people proudly fly saltires but I see no nastiness. The STV news has a reputation for toeing the unionist line so I am not sure that you should take anything they say as gospel - but you write with such confidence that I am sure you have ample evidence at which to point? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Walter Travolta said:

As far as Im concerned if you vote it and win, crack on. Democracy is democracy yet you seem to have missed that gig by stamping your feet only 6 years after the original which you lost, remember?

Strange also that you want to get out of 1 union yet rejoin another and call those who wish to stay part of the UK "Yoons"? Its obviously Scotland who are the Yoons jumping from 1 to another ???? hardly Independance now is it? Oh and lastly, we English were labelled racist for wanting out of the EU, yet you Scots are never labelled that are you, even though you hate us deeply

Yup. Hate you with a passion bordering on psychotic hatred.

Best let us leave then aint it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Oh sweet baby jesus, we are back to basics with this one. 

This is not quite the Oxford Union, but the debate tends to be a bit more advanced than that tosh. How about you go and read a book then come back when you know what you are talking about?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

They can do that if they want but I hate to disappoint you. There really is no appetite for independence of the Shetland Isles or indeed joining Brexitland. 

Likewise, there is no appetite for Scotland's "Freedummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!" either.

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

This is not quite the Oxford Union, but the debate tends to be a bit more advanced than that tosh. How about you go and read a book then come back when you know what you are talking about?

Too late for that RR. We need to burn them with fire or, even better, nuke them from orbit.

Its the only way to be sure. 

1 minute ago, Walter Travolta said:

Whats wrong with being a nationalist. I mean the SNP has that word in its title!! You're funny, keep dancing and we will keep chucking HM pennies at you

The SNP has the word nationalist in its title?

Good grief this one is so uninformed he doesn't even know the name of the players ????

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Whats wrong with being a nationalist. I mean the SNP has that word in its title!! You're funny, keep dancing and we will keep chucking HM pennies at you

No it doesn't, but you don't seem to know much about that of which you write, so it is hardly surprising that you wouldn't know that either.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

How does this nastiness you refer to manifest itself? I live in the heart of Ian Blackford's constituency and see nothing of the sort. I travel about the country and see people proudly fly saltires but I see no nastiness. The STV news has a reputation for toeing the unionist line so I am not sure that you should take anything they say as gospel - but you write with such confidence that I am sure you have ample evidence at which to point? 

I certainly can point you to the STVNews on FB where the yoons laugh at the anger of the Indys. All they do is name call and bad mouth anyone who disagrees with them, never any substance as to why Scotland would be better off, which basically proves its hatred towards the English

I am a patriotic man and admire anyone who feels the same about their own country, Im not a hypocrite, unlike many. So if you get Independance, good luck. I just disagree that there should be a new ref 6 years after the last one, and I also find it hilarious that you wish to leave 1 union to join another!! As I said, thats hardly independence is it?

30 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

WOW! Thanks, that's very interesting. So i've just been reading about this and it turns out they really dislike the SNP!

"As the paper notes, if the Shetlands were to shake off Holyrood’s rule, “they would keep the revenues from oil in their waters - dealing a blow to the finances of a would-be independent Scotland”.

Now that would be a disaster for future finances of an independent Scotland. Perhaps if the SNP hadn't kept cutting the budget they would't be so impoverished

https://www.theweek.co.uk/108070/shetlanders-push-for-independence-from-scotland

You need to do some more research. IF the Shetland Isles declared independence they would be an enclave.

Do the Channel Islands own half the English channel?

Does the Isle of Man own half the Irish sea?

Go find out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:
51 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

So everyone who voted Labour, Lib Dem, SNP, Green or independent at the last election suddenly needs to back a Conservative government?

Cameron also said he would not resign if Brexit won. Where is he now?

This is the attitude I cannot understand. Brexit won so we should all get behind it? How utterly ridiculous a suggestion that is.

Who's confusing fulfilling the stated will of the people with "suddenly" needing to back an opposition party? When it comes to something that is so significant; leaving the EU was and forever will be far more significant than any Scottish independence, isn't it the right thing to work together in the national interest?

Why is the Brexit thingmie still polluting this thread?

Edited by NanLaew

11 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

That is exactly the kind of reply one would see on FB STVNews group haha - thanks for that. Proved my point 100%

• Like 1

I certainly can point you to the STVNews on FB where the yoons laugh at the anger of the Indys. All they do is name call and bad mouth anyone who disagrees with them, never any substance as to why Scotland would be better off, which basically proves its hatred towards the English

I am a patriotic man and admire anyone who feels the same about their own country, Im not a hypocrite, unlike many. So if you get Independance, good luck. I just disagree that there should be a new ref 6 years after the last one, and I also find it hilarious that you wish to leave 1 union to join another!! As I said, thats hardly independence is it?

Is Facebook your go to source when trying to form a perspective on all aspects of world politics? That would go a long way to explaining your posts thus far.

• Like 2

Just now, RuamRudy said:

Is Facebook your go to source when trying to form a perspective on all aspects of world politics? That would go a long way to explaining your posts thus far.

And yet another example of trying to put words in my mouth I never said. All I did was mention how tetchy the Indys are all day long on that group. Join it you will love it, but be prepared to be laughed at. It seems you cant handle a bit of tiss paking

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Likewise, there is no appetite for Scotland's "Freedummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!" either.

Its an odd thing but the ONLY people who quote that film are unionists.

Most of us in Scotland think it was historically inaccurate, with a naff script and poorly acted.

Of course thats because most of us in Scotland have a better understanding about Scottish history than a Brexit supporting English nationalist who hates the film because England didnt win. 

Its OK. You feel that England should always win and history should reflect that.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:
16 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

The SNP has the word nationalist in its title?

Good grief this one is so uninformed he doesn't even know the name of the players

Good catch rookie.

Everyone knows SNP stands for the Scottish Notional Party.

Now, pick up your pennies.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

It wasnt me that replied to you ????‍♂️ ????

Yeah but you're English and we Scots all hate you. You need to understand, and yes I appreciate you arrived late and have not read the rest of the thread, that us Scots are all racist's and bigots.

We hate you English. 

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Who's confusing fulfilling the stated will of the people with "suddenly" needing to back an opposition party? When it comes to something that is so significant; leaving the EU was and forever will be far more significant than any Scottish independence, isn't it the right thing to work together in the national interest?

Why is the Brexit polluting this thread?

When it comes down to something as fundamentally against my principles, there is now way I would ever support Brexit. If a referendum to bring back the death penalty ever passed, should I throw out my objections and support the concept because it was 'the will of the people'?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Why is the Brexit polluting this thread?

Dont care, hate you. 

8 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

And yet another example of trying to put words in my mouth I never said. All I did was mention how tetchy the Indys are all day long on that group. Join it you will love it, but be prepared to be laughed at. It seems you cant handle a bit of tiss paking

And yet another example?

Sorry I thought you were new on this thread.

Hoisted by your own petard ????