Scotland's Sturgeon puts UK on independence warning: We want a referendum soon

webfact

6 hours ago, rott said:
7 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

The only relevance it has is to dismiss the stereotype that Rangers supporters are all unionists. 

The subjects of religious or football affiliation had never been mentioned, there was no relevance and no point. 

The undeniable fact that Scotland is a nation built on racism and bigotry fomented by home-grown racists and bigots is relevant.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Pound is a fiat currency. Anyone can use it.

Queen Elizabeth the FIRST of Scotland is our monarch not just yours.

It will be up to an independent Scotland and the EU as to whether we rejoin.

Scotland uses the pound sterling,  but issues their own banknotes, as does Northern Ireland. A fiat currency, the pound sterling not the banknotes, is backed by the Government that issues it. Doesn't that mean the Government of the United Kingdom? Once Scotland withdraws from the United Kingdom, the Scottish government will have to issue it's own fiat currency.

As an Englishman, I'd be happy that the will of the people of Scotland was respected. If a referendum were held and the majority of Scots voted to leave, I would be happy for them to do so. 

I would also be happy for Scotland to become a republic, if that is what the majority wants.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The UK is a political concept, not a country. Or are you suggesting that, as with Brexit, the future of the UK is solely for the English to decide?

A personal and political union. 

if it is so important that Scotland becomes 'independent ' declare UDI. Scotland needs no referendum, it needs to respect the wishes of its people, as does the rest of the United Kingdom. Go for it and good luck to you all when you do.

25 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Scotland uses the pound sterling,  but issues their own banknotes, as does Northern Ireland. A fiat currency, the pound sterling not the banknotes, is backed by the Government that issues it. Doesn't that mean the Government of the United Kingdom?

I like your post, it was very thoughtful!

Pound sterling is actually backed by the Bank of England in England. It is a seperate entity, and loans money to the British government. Scotland does not issue it's own bank notes without regulation from the BOE. You are correct though that all of the other governments that use the pound have to back it;

The Bank of England is the central bank for the pound sterling, issuing its own banknotes, and regulating issuance of banknotes by private banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Sterling banknotes issued by other jurisdictions are not regulated by the Bank of England; their governments guarantee convertibility at par.

Edited by 2530Ubon

17 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I have said this before, but I am not convinced that Ms Sturgeon and her party are actually that sold on full independence. 

There is nothing actually stopping her holding her own referendum, other than the fact that the government of the UK says no - yet her whole campaign is founded on rejecting the government of the UK!

My view, shared I suspect by many other English people, is crack on, fill your boots, hold a referendum, and if the results support independence you can start negotiating, with an explicit  mandate.

Agreed. UDI...

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

Scotland uses the pound sterling,  but issues their own banknotes, as does Northern Ireland. A fiat currency, the pound sterling not the banknotes, is backed by the Government that issues it. Doesn't that mean the Government of the United Kingdom? Once Scotland withdraws from the United Kingdom, the Scottish government will have to issue it's own fiat currency.

As an Englishman, I'd be happy that the will of the people of Scotland was respected. If a referendum were held and the majority of Scots voted to leave, I would be happy for them to do so. 

I would also be happy for Scotland to become a republic, if that is what the majority wants.

For every Scottish pound issued a Bank of England pound is deposited.

21 hours ago, vogie said:

Naughty, turning it into a Brexit thread.

Vogie!!!! are you trying or did you try to make a point? which one was it, couldn't get it 555

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

They were never a sovereign state as they were constantly invaded by the Brits. To conquer some country is different then to have union with them. The Eu let people vote to get in your union was build on violence. Scotland and Ireland were invaded bullied and forced to join. I guess you look at history from a different perspective. But the facts remain violence is what created your union not voting. They did not want to be part they were forced to be. Just like now.

It started with the Danish invasion in the 8th century. Cork, Dublin, Limerick, Waterford and Wexford were all founded and settled by them. Then in the 12th century the Normans were invited in by an ousted Irish king to help restore him to the throne. They decided to stay and take over. People with Fitz at the start of their surname have Norman ancestry. Then Cromwell campaigned in Ireland with his New Model Army. Then in the late 17th century there were the Dutch led Williamite wars that culminated in William of Orange's victory in 1690 at the Battle Of The Boyne. That victory had the greatest influence in what was to come in later centuries in Ireland.

• Like 1

Good to see Mogg doing his bit to help encourage more Scots to move towards independence. 

Jacob Rees-Mogg says Tories 'must undo' devolution and restore constitution

I  struggle to understand the point of his frequent attacks on devolution and his belittling of Scottish wishes. Granted, he is no intellectual titan, but even he must see how thoroughly disliked he and his likes are the further north you travel from London, and that his every utterance is a further nail in the union's coffin? I can only assume that he is unconcerned about his reception outside the home counties, and that his message is intended for others' ears, because he certainly gets short shrift from Scottish voters.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Good to see Mogg doing his bit to help encourage more Scots to move towards independence. 

Jacob Rees-Mogg says Tories 'must undo' devolution and restore constitution.  

People are laughing at what Newsnight's lighting did for Jacob Rees-Mogg  The Pokeimage.jpeg.1d7e66ee4a94e4a40d05c960ccd4892e.jpegimage.jpeg.5e4a801068fbe4c9b263d3c9ede477da.jpeg

How did this buffoon ever get elected to the house of commons?

Edited by 2530Ubon
incorrectly spelt buffoon. Ironic? or moronic?
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:
4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The undeniable fact that Scotland is a nation built on racism and bigotry fomented by home-grown racists and bigots is relevant.

And yet you voted for Brexit?

Yes I did but I don't see any relevance here.

I can easily see that the vote to leave the EU didn't change anything near as much as Sturgeon and the SNP claim.

BTW, some of my best friends are from Shetland.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Yes I did but I don't see any relevance here.

I can easily see that the vote to leave the EU didn't change anything near as much as Sturgeon and the SNP claim.

BTW, some of my best friends are from Shetland.

You know as well as I do that Brexit was built on xenophobia and racism.

Its a sad reflection upon England and Wales that so many voted for it.

In Scotland and ironically Northern Ireland it was rejected.

So how does that square with your claims that Scotland is a bigoted racist and xenophobic nation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

How did this buffoon ever get elected to the house of commons?

Its called democracy. More people voted for him, than other candidates. simple concept.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

You know as well as I do that Brexit was built on xenophobia and racism.

Sorry, you lost me with that first sentence. That is solely your opinion and I can respect that but please don't assume to know what others know.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:14 PM, Rookiescot said:

Its a sad reflection upon England and Wales that so many voted for it.

Farage was a failed MP for South Thanet who subsequently had his UKIP car stolen. In the end, nobody in Hartlepool or Blaenau Gwent really cared about him or his party.

In Scotland and ironically Northern Ireland it was rejected.

Not all of Ireland rejected Brexit and not all of Scotland wants to leave the Union... which actually is the subject matter of this thread, not Brexit.

So how does that square with your claims that Scotland is a bigoted racist and xenophobic nation?

I was born and grew up in Scotland with my education split between there and England. I saw what I saw and heard what I heard. That's what has bolstered my opinion that Scots are bigoted and racist.

Note that I never said they were xenophobic.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Sorry, you lost me with that first sentence. That is solely your opinion and I can respect that but please don't assume to know what others know.

Farage was a failed MP for South Thanet who subsequently had his UKIP car stolen. In the end, nobody in Hartlepool or Blaenau Gwent really cared about him or his party.

Not all of Ireland rejected Brexit and not all of Scotland wants to leave the Union... which actually is the subject matter of this thread, not Brexit.

I was born and grew up in Scotland with my education split between there and England. I saw what I saw and heard what I heard. That's what has bolstered my opinion that Scots are bigoted and racist.

Note that I never said they were xenophobic.

So you come out with an opinion that Scotland is a nation built on racism and bigotry and in your very first line when I refuted that you say thats only my opinion?

You are seriously disconnected with what is going on in Scotland.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

So you come out with an opinion that Scotland is a nation built on racism and bigotry and in your very first line when I refuted that you say thats only my opinion?

You are seriously disconnected with what is going on in Scotland.

When did you last set foot there & how long have you spent there since 2014?

Just curious.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 9:22 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

Here they go again....

Didn't they just have one?

Now she doesn't like the result and wants another?

She's almost as bad as the brexit remainers.

You don't always get what you want in a Democracy, Nicola! 

Brexit has changed things a bit............................

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 8:13 AM, webfact said:

Or what?

We have to listen to Rookiescot bleating for a few more years? ????????????

Edited by nkg
  • Haha 1