Scotland's Sturgeon puts UK on independence warning: We want a referendum soon

webfact

On 11/28/2020 at 11:33 AM, RuamRudy said:

For some reason, the English working class are never happier than when they are doffing their caps to rich buffoons who keep them in poverty. Baffling but true. 

Then they voted in " new labour "and found out to their cost they were even worse.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:14 PM, Rookiescot said:

You know as well as I do that Brexit was built on xenophobia and racism.

Its a sad reflection upon England and Wales that so many voted for it.

In Scotland and ironically Northern Ireland it was rejected.

So how does that square with your claims that Scotland is a bigoted racist and xenophobic nation?

Allow me to explain.

Scotland rejected Brexit because they dislike the English and would prefer to be lorded over by the French and Germans. Thinking of themselves as "European" makes them feel sophisticated in the land of the Deep Fried Mars Bar.

There is nothing racist about the UK wishing to regain control of it's own country. Don't you want exactly the same thing for Scotland? Hypocritical much? ????

• Like 2

On the referendum question, it would be deeply unfair to have a referendum before the outcome of Brexit is known. The SNP is using Project Fear to whip up the Scottish electorate into wanting Independence. It's deeply cynical and disingenuous.

They are terrified that Brexit will be a success while the EU continues with it's internal problems (they can't even pass a budget) and downward trajectory. That's why they're so desperate for a vote now before all of their lies are exposed by a prosperous post Brexit UK.

I think it would be fair to wait a decade to see the long term effects of Brexit, then if they still want a referendum, let them have it around 2031.

• Like 1

The Brexiters claim is that once the UK is no longer governed under EU rules, this will be a huge change. The UK will be free again. Well, the last time the Scots voted on union, the UK was allegedly under the yoke of the UK. And that's the UK that the Scots voted to be part of. It's only fair to allow the Scots the opportunity to choose the heavy and cruel hand of the EU over  the benefits of a being part of a fundamentally changed UK.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The Brexiters claim is that once the UK is no longer governed under EU rules, this will be a huge change. The UK will be free again. Well, the last time the Scots voted on union, the UK was allegedly under the yoke of the UK. And that's the UK that the Scots voted to be part of. It's only fair to allow the Scots the opportunity to choose the heavy and cruel hand of the EU over  the benefits of a being part of a fundamentally changed UK.

Up to them,still if the views on here are representive of the views of scotland then good bye and good riddance,

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Allow me to explain.

Scotland rejected Brexit because they dislike the English and would prefer to be lorded over by the French and Germans. Thinking of themselves as "European" makes them feel sophisticated in the land of the Deep Fried Mars Bar.

There is nothing racist about the UK wishing to regain control of it's own country. Don't you want exactly the same thing for Scotland? Hypocritical much? ????

Brexit was voted for because of peoples fear and hatred of immigrants.

Scotland did not vote for it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

On the referendum question, it would be deeply unfair to have a referendum before the outcome of Brexit is known. The SNP is using Project Fear to whip up the Scottish electorate into wanting Independence. It's deeply cynical and disingenuous.

They are terrified that Brexit will be a success while the EU continues with it's internal problems (they can't even pass a budget) and downward trajectory. That's why they're so desperate for a vote now before all of their lies are exposed by a prosperous post Brexit UK.

I think it would be fair to wait a decade to see the long term effects of Brexit, then if they still want a referendum, let them have it around 2031.

I'm sure the people of Scotland will take what you think on board ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Brexit was voted for because of peoples fear and hatred of immigrants.

Scotland did not vote for it. 

How do you know their reasons for voting?

Can you read the minds of 17.4 million people? Very impressive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I'm sure the people of Scotland will take what you think on board ????

Ah, the old trick of making a flippant, throwaway remark when you can't counter any of the arguments. ????

Confirms my suspicions.

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

How do you know their reasons for voting?

Can you read the minds of 17.4 million people? Very impressive.

Just now, kingdong said:

Understandable when all the migrants want to live in England where they think the streets are paved with gold.

I'll just leave that there. 

• Like 1

Just now, vogie said:

I don't like to see it that way, the unionists in Scotland are the silent majority and wish to remain within our union. It is only the SNP and their bewildered followers who wear their chip on their shoulders like a military major would wear his crown that wish to free themselves from the tyranny that is the English.????

But there again it does seem alien to us how someone from the same island nation can try to blame everything on Westminster and the English for all the mismanagement of the SNP.

Well, then, a new referendum will confirm that the Scots prefer to remain part of  the hugely changed dispensation adopted by the UK.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, vogie said:

They have already been asked, "computer says no"

So the only way you can keep the union together is to prevent people voting to leave it.

If you truly believe there is a silent majority for the union you should have confidence in the result of another referendum.

But you insist there should not be one. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 4:48 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

I am no brexiteer but I don't agree with a 2nd referendum on Scottish independence within the space of 5 years..

It would be 7 years, not 5, the same timeframe that is embedded in the Belfast Agreement.

2. Subject to paragraph 3, the Secretary of State shall exercise the power
under paragraph 1 if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of
those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to
be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland.
3. The Secretary of State shall not make an order under paragraph 1
earlier than seven years after the holding of a previous poll under this
Schedule.

• Like 2