Scotland's Sturgeon puts UK on independence warning: We want a referendum soon

webfact

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If you think having a sensible, controlled immigration policy makes you racist, you must think that about 99% of the world's countries are inherently racist, including the likes of Japan, Thailand, Australia etc. ????

Must be hard work living under the impression that you're surrounded by so many racists.

image.png.f0ad5916b8a2c438acbe885733eba3f0.png

The uncomfortable question: Was the Brexit vote based on racism? - The  Washington Post

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah, let's have one every month until the result is finally YES. Then we can take that result to be the final result and never vote on it again.

Brilliant idea! Almost as good as having a 'people's vote' to reverse Brexit. You're clearly a true Democrat. Bravo.

The punters must keep voting till they get it right.

14 minutes ago, kingdong said:

The punters must keep voting till they get it right.

We know why you guys dont want another referendum. Wetting yourselves in case you lose it.

So democracy in the UK now means "No more referendums because us Brexiteers fear the results".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

We know why you guys dont want another referendum. Wetting yourselves in case you lose it.

So democracy in the UK now means "No more referendums because us Brexiteers fear the results".

You want it you have it,you,ve made your opinions on the uk crystal clear,every other post is wishing it doom and gloom,have your referendum and accept the result,why should i be wetting myelf in case i lose it?couldn,t give a tinkers cuss.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vogie said:

Your leaders stated it would be "once in a lifetime" are you saying the SNP lie, surely not.????????????

Your leader said he would rather be dead in a ditch than ask for an extension. are you saying Brexiteers lie? Surely not. 

• Like 1

Just now, Barnabe said:

I don't like the results of the US election and I think the plebs voted wrong, can we have the election overturned and vote again?

Oh wait that was what they tried to do for 4 years under Trump

Yes the decision can be overturned in 4 years. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kingdong said:

You want it you have it,you,ve made your opinions on the uk crystal clear,every other post is wishing it doom and gloom,have your referendum and accept the result,why should i be wetting myelf in case i lose it?couldn,t give a tinkers cuss.

And yet you have 21 posts on this very thread indicating otherwise. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yes the decision can be overturned in 4 years. 

So let's say you get a second referendum, and then the answer is no.

Then again comes someone like Sturgeon 4 years later asking for a new referendum. Will this go on and on until the plebs vote the way you want?

A decision on independence is a serious matter, hence why the once in a generation argument which was pushed by the independentists.

• Like 1

What would be interesting is when Scotland eventually does choose to be independent and then applies to join the EU.

Would it be a major headache for the EU?

Passport controls, a new currency (EURO) and a new 'Hadrians wall' on the Scottish/English border might not be feasable, and Boris may have done some sort of sneaky deal with the EU to stop this happening. Kind of like how he sneakily tried to porogue parliament. Sneaky sneaky Boris. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

So let's say you get a second referendum, and then the answer is no.

Then again comes someone like Sturgeon 4 years later asking for a new referendum. Will this go on and on until the plebs vote the way you want?

A decision on independence is a serious matter, hence why the once in a generation argument which was pushed by the independentists.

If we vote no then another referendum would have to wait until something within the UK dramatically changes.

We need another one now because we were promised we would be staying in the EU. Brexit changed that.

• Thanks 1

The toughest thing about Scotland leaving, should it happen, is what to call the new country of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?  United Kingdom will be out of the question, and Great Britain refers to the largest of the British Isles - so includes Scotland, and thus also wouldn't be valid.  Little Britain anyone?  Or, they could let the people vote on it.  Welcome to CountryMcCountryface.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

Using an idiom to express your thoughts cannot be called a lie on this earth or fullers earth. You do know the difference between an idiom and a statement don't you, I suspect that you do, but when running out of ammo, I guess you have to start throwing the gun.

When Boris used his idiom "dead in a ditch" he was saying I will fight to the very end before I will ask for an extension from the EU, sadly as we all remember now that there were too many weak kneed remainer politicians in parliament for that to happen. But I think we must all agree that it was a very valiant and heroic thing to say. I am sure we have all used idioms in our lives to portrays our thoughts, I know I have and I suspect you have, if you said to me 'I could murder a pint of beer' the last thing I would do is to accuse you of lying, I would immediately know that you are very thirsty and you are not going to stab the glass with your little dirk. Anyway I think I'm getting cold feet as I have butterflies in my stomache, I sure you get the idea anyway.

Whether it's an idiom or  figure of speech is irrelevant. It means to never surrender. Exactly how did remainers force Johnson to make a liar out of himself? Is he so weak as to need their applause?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/27/2020 at 4:16 PM, RuamRudy said:

Wholly and utterly incorrect.

In 2014, a majority Scottish voters voted to leave the UK. However the extension of the franchise to voters from other parts of the UK and from the EU saw that majority overturned. A democratic decision, definitely, but do not state that the Scots want to stay in the UK. The majority of us didn't in 2014 and even more of us want out now. 

This is of course including all the 16 and 17 year olds that the age was reduced for those to vote as it was anticipated for a win and yet still lost ? Very democratic of the SNP reducing the age to try and favour them. What they going to do this time lower it to 14 and let all the immigrants that the SNP are allowing into Scotland to vote also ?

SNP has the monoploly in Scotland and these referendums will keep going until she has won independence and screwed up Scotland. Then she will dissappear into the horizon never to be heard of again living a life of luxury as she wont be short of a bob or 2.

And as to your comment on the extension of the franchise to voters from other parts of the UK and indeed world that works both ways so you cant use that as an exscuse. But hey you still will try to justify it.

lol.....

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

The toughest thing about Scotland leaving, should it happen, is what to call the new country of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?  United Kingdom will be out of the question, and Great Britain refers to the largest of the British Isles - so includes Scotland, and thus also wouldn't be valid.  Little Britain anyone?  Or, they could let the people vote on it.  Welcome to CountryMcCountryface.

Why would we change the name?

Is the EU changing it's name to Crumbling Racket About Protectionism now the UK has left? I would argue the UK would be much more united once the whingeing Scots have gone cap in hand to beg the EU for membership.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Using an idiom to express your thoughts cannot be called a lie on this earth or fullers earth. You do know the difference between an idiom and a statement don't you, I suspect that you do, but when running out of ammo, I guess you have to start throwing the gun.

When Boris used his idiom "dead in a ditch" he was saying I will fight to the very end before I will ask for an extension from the EU, sadly as we all remember now that there were too many weak kneed remainer politicians in parliament for that to happen. But I think we must all agree that it was a very valiant and heroic thing to say. I am sure we have all used idioms in our lives to portrays our thoughts, I know I have and I suspect you have, if you said to me 'I could murder a pint of beer' the last thing I would do is to accuse you of lying, I would immediately know that you are very thirsty and you are not going to stab the glass with your little dirk. Anyway I think I'm getting cold feet as I have butterflies in my stomache, I sure you get the idea anyway.

During the last General Election B. Johnson stated that it was critical a once in a generation.

Is this a statement or idiom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Thats a long winded way of saying "I get to determine who is held to account over what they say".

Show me anywhere that "once in a generation" is legally binding.

If you cant then whether is an idiom, turn of phrase or signs of a grumbling appendix is asinine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stretch5163 said:

SNP has the monoploly in Scotland and these referendums will keep going until she has won independence and screwed up Scotland. Then she will dissappear into the horizon never to be heard of again living a life of luxury as she wont be short of a bob or 2.

She has to sit in a cold, dark cave for a wee while, watching a spider first, no?

Or was that more fake history?

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Shhhh don't ask difficult questions like that. The nationalists don't want to discuss why the EU would want to break their own rules on membership to allow the mighty Scotland to join. Or how Scotland would manage the interim period between leaving the UK and joining the EU, having monetary policy set by the Bank of England of all places. 

No, much better they just paint their faces Blue and sing songs by The Proclaimers in the thickest Scottish accent. They know what they're voting for.

What happens in Scotland after independence will not concern you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Why would we change the name?

Is the EU changing it's name to Crumbling Racket About Protectionism now the UK has left? I would argue the UK would be much more united once the whingeing Scots have gone cap in hand to beg the EU for membership.

I would be cautious in calling whats left of the UK as being "more united" when a reasonable chunk of the demographic will still firmly believe in the "city'.

• Like 2