China's authorities issue gag order about virus to doctors in Wuhan

webfact

3 hours ago, geisha said:

I’ve seen quite a few articles about this, starting with the Doctor who died and then the lady head of the Chinese laboratory who was apparently world known in her studies. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-anitbodies-covid-study-b1723243.html

1 hour ago, Jack Mountain said:

The Italian paper concludes Italy was not the source, the source was international, probably China, they say. Just means China lied longer.

Some doubt the Italian paper anyway, they never found the virus, just antibodies, could have come from other things.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

It's in the UK press today that China are now saying it came from Bangladesh or India. My money after they have now blamed Europe, Asia, North America is some African or south American country as they are the only other continents left

Looks like Xi is getting nervous again.

REUTERS: With frozen food clampdown, China points overseas as source of coronavirus

"Chinese state media have cited..." , no need to continue.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, rabas said:

The Italian paper concludes Italy was not the source, the source was international, probably China, they say. Just means China lied longer.

Some doubt the Italian paper anyway, they never found the virus, just antibodies, could have come from other things.

Well, can't find that conclusion in this article but maybe I overlooked it. Can you point it to me?

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0300891620974755

2 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Nothing more than a rumor. 

"I would be very cautious," about these findings, said Dr. George Rutherford, professor of epidemiology and biostatistics at the University of California, San Francisco, who was also not a part of the study. The results "have to be confirmed with different antibody tests," that look for the prevalence of antibodies that target other parts of the coronavirus.

His previous experience has shown that such antibody tests for the coronavirus' RBD can create a lot of false positives, Rutherford told Live Science. And because this is "such an unexpected finding," it should be confirmed with other antibody tests such as those that look for antibodies against another one of the coronavirus' proteins, an outer coat called a "nucleocapsid," which is also unique to the novel coronavirus, he said. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mavideol said:

so much so that today China imposed a 200% import duty on any wine coming from Australia.....

Saw that on UK news yesterday although they quoted 120%.

I know people will explain to me why other countries can't just do the same to China.

My understanding is that some countries add the tax to the imported goods and home consumers pay a higher price in the shops but in this case with wine from Australia then Australia has to pay it to china meaning money straight to the chinese gov' and local chinese buyers won't be hit by the price rise.

Anyone know exactly how it works in this case?

37 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Saw that on UK news yesterday although they quoted 120%.

I know people will explain to me why other countries can't just do the same to China.

My understanding is that some countries add the tax to the imported goods and home consumers pay a higher price in the shops but in this case with wine from Australia then Australia has to pay it to china meaning money straight to the chinese gov' and local chinese buyers won't be hit by the price rise.

Anyone know exactly how it works in this case?

The Chinese importers has to pay the tax to customs, so I assume at the end the customer will pay. If they still want it of course ....

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/china-australia-wine-dumping-subsidy-trade-rule-sanction-tariff-13078424?cid=h3_referral_inarticlelinks_24082018_cna

4 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

If the virus was a natural outbreak, then this just makes China look guilty as hell. Xi is going a bit Mao Tse Tung in his old age, he'll be rewriting history next

Is'nt the Emperor for Life doing that already? The propaganda wagon is alive and well, be interesting to know how many brainwashed Chinese minions actually believe him! The BS is coming thick and fast!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Actually not. Give them time and they'll blame it on Antarctica.

already a possibility, as the CCP has two (no longer a secret that they are there) secret bases down there tucked away inside Aust Territory... no one knows what they are doing there?  

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I said it early on, they should have been nuked and put down a long time ago. Not the 'Chinese', the ccp. That whole organisation needs a serious arrrse kick. Bastardss.

Not the  Chinese.......just 100k of them.

Why mince your words? If you're a racist, just say so.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, tifino said:

already a possibility, as the CCP has two (no longer a secret that they are there) secret bases down there tucked away inside Aust Territory... no one knows what they are doing there?  

Ahhh, would SPYING be a fair assumption?

7 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Not the  Chinese.......just 100k of them.

Why mince your words? If you're a racist, just say so.

Well certain portions of the United States population have been wanting to nuke Asians since 1945.

The Japanese (gotcha!)

The Chinese..MacArthur and co..

The North Koreans..collateral damage..

The Vietnamese..at Dien Bien Phu..

Curiously enough none of them have ever suggested nuking New Zealand..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I wonder when the world is going to wake up and treat China the same way it treats everyone else.  They all just seem obsessed with buying cheap <deleted> and offshoring.

It says something when Trump is the one with the most sensible foreign policy.

I haven't followed world opinion on  China's maleficent involving their virus  ! I've been preoccupied with Australia and the USA  condemning everything China! Are other countries around the world holding China responsible for  one and half million deaths!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

The Chinese importers has to pay the tax to customs, so I assume at the end the customer will pay. If they still want it of course ....

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/china-australia-wine-dumping-subsidy-trade-rule-sanction-tariff-13078424?cid=h3_referral_inarticlelinks_24082018_cna

Yes the Chinese customer has to pay or do the desired thing and buy the much cheaper, crappy Chinese wine. Probably means that there will be some cheaper wines getting round in Australia, perhaps even here 55. The much worse for Australia is the news that at latest count 82 coal ships are moored off Chinese ports with coal alleged to be not up to standard. Its worth north of A$700 million. Basically a stand off. Meanwhile China has been ramping up imports of coal from Mongolia and paying more for it. As contracts with Chinese companies are worthless, when Xi decides to have a tantrum, perhaps Australian companies would be better off taking the pain now and find other customers. I dont think Biden will do anything to help Australia, he'll be flat out flogging American stuff to them. Note to self sell TWE, or at least be prepared fro a prolonged downturn.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Yes the Chinese customer has to pay or do the desired thing and buy the much cheaper, crappy Chinese wine. Probably means that there will be some cheaper wines getting round in Australia, perhaps even here 55. The much worse for Australia is the news that at latest count 82 coal ships are moored off Chinese ports with coal alleged to be not up to standard. Its worth north of A$700 million. Basically a stand off. Meanwhile China has been ramping up imports of coal from Mongolia and paying more for it. As contracts with Chinese companies are worthless, when Xi decides to have a tantrum, perhaps Australian companies would be better off taking the pain now and find other customers. I dont think Biden will do anything to help Australia, he'll be flat out flogging American stuff to them. Note to self sell TWE, or at least be prepared fro a prolonged downturn.

And finally loose and/or write off all their investments in A.? Wasn't there a harbor they build and own? It's all negotiating and tit/tat what's going on and it will last till A. decides to be no longer US poodle ...

• Sad 1

Whatever country this originated in, and whether or not it was from a badly controlled lab or a wet market, I worry that there are no reports of anything being done to avoid another pandemic.

I reckon the planet has been relatively lucky (so far) with Covid-19, but the next one could be 100 times more deadly and all this vaccine effort will have to be repeated for a new virus. We need education to stop cross-species viruses killing us all, as well as new, tighter regulations for control of handling in these labs (I assume there are more than we know). Telling some people to not eat bats I am afraid is the same problem as convincing some people to wear a mask.

Prevention should be as much a focus as a cure, or vaccine.

• Like 2