Jump to content

TELF teaching course good or not


Recommended Posts

ok so can anyone give me a little help here ..i have a son English lives in Europe .. was all ready to come over in oct to do a TELF course in chaing mai got his flight booked  ..Covid put a stop to that ..the school seems to have s lot of good reference the guy who runs it seems a nice bloke my son  has spoken to him many times ..ok so the Q here my son has worked in a school in France as an aid   also worked as a coach for youngsters .for a few years..but has no degree the guy at the school here said no probs   job guarantee at end of the couse or could even stay on at the the place he will be doing his course .. again my son is looking for the job of an aid to Thai ..is this a possibility or sales pitch .. fluent English.. fluent French..good sportsman  good  football coach..good kid all round don't want him ripped off any help tks

Link to post
Share on other sites

To work at a regular school one needs a teaching license for which in general a degree in education is required. If you don't have a degree in education but in another field you can get a waiver designed to give you time to fully qualify as a teacher.

With only  a TEFL one can still get a job as a teacher, but not at a regular school. It will rather be a language school, tutoring students in the evening and weekends.

 

Having said that, some schools go around the teaching license requirement by applying for a work permit for teachers as a teaching assistent, as support staff doesn't need a teaching license. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with TEFL is that there does not seem to be a central certifying agency. As far as I know there are only 2, Cambridge ' s CELTA and Trinity TESOL, that have universal global recognition. I am in Vietnam now, and most of the teachers here get some Mickie Mouse online TEFL for less than 100 $, which you can complete in a few days and certifies 120 hour TEFL. As long as you can get it notarized, most schools  seem to be OK with it and you can get a WP. But, if you really want to learn something, do the CELTA. At around 1700 $ for the whole course it won't come cheap though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

if you can remotely understand what  this means, "derives from a morbid talk with a fatherless homeless adolescent....." then I'm pretty sure you fully understand English and this course is completely worthless.  I've taken one, completely worthless.  won't help you with English, or teaching, or anything...

 

But to those who inexplicitly get lost and will never get past the word inexplicitly, well,   then they will think the course adds value.

 

which is does not

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the TEFL, Intl 120 hour course in Phuket and it was the BEST thing I ever did. They throw you in the deep end the 3rd or 4th day teaching in front of a live class then evaluate you. If you've never taught before, the experience is well worth the price. I also left with several binders of course material I used for years after.  My two cents worth.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, thecyclist said:

The problem with TEFL is that there does not seem to be a central certifying agency. As far as I know there are only 2, Cambridge ' s CELTA and Trinity TESOL, that have universal global recognition. I am in Vietnam now, and most of the teachers here get some Mickie Mouse online TEFL for less than 100 $, which you can complete in a few days and certifies 120 hour TEFL. As long as you can get it notarized, most schools  seem to be OK with it and you can get a WP. But, if you really want to learn something, do the CELTA. At around 1700 $ for the whole course it won't come cheap though. 

Good post.  If anyone is serious about making TEFL a career and doing it in other countries, a CELTA or Trinity TESOL is invaluable (with a Young Learners' extension if you plan on teaching kids).  You can do a CELTA at International House in Bangkok.  For just short-term TEFL in Thailand any TEFL course will help (especially if you've never done TEFL before) although some of the courses are pretty sketchy.  Thai employers care more about a degree or how you look!  Western employers like the British Council and Wall Street will expect a CELTA (obviously a degree is also required for the work permit in Thailand).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, thecyclist said:

The problem with TEFL is that there does not seem to be a central certifying agency. As far as I know there are only 2, Cambridge ' s CELTA and Trinity TESOL, that have universal global recognition. I am in Vietnam now, and most of the teachers here get some Mickie Mouse online TEFL for less than 100 $, which you can complete in a few days and certifies 120 hour TEFL. As long as you can get it notarized, most schools  seem to be OK with it and you can get a WP. But, if you really want to learn something, do the CELTA. At around 1700 $ for the whole course it won't come cheap though. 

i think the months course he has applied for not including accommodation is around that price..  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 9:28 PM, Ventenio said:

if you can remotely understand what  this means, "derives from a morbid talk with a fatherless homeless adolescent....." then I'm pretty sure you fully understand English and this course is completely worthless.  I've taken one, completely worthless.  won't help you with English, or teaching, or anything...

 

But to those who inexplicitly get lost and will never get past the word inexplicitly, well,   then they will think the course adds value.

 

which is does not

I'll  English Please 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2020 at 8:56 AM, J Town said:

I took the TEFL, Intl 120 hour course in Phuket and it was the BEST thing I ever did. They throw you in the deep end the 3rd or 4th day teaching in front of a live class then evaluate you. If you've never taught before, the experience is well worth the price. I also left with several binders of course material I used for years after.  My two cents worth.

tks mate encouragement..a lot of posts negative did you read ventinios comments i think someone pi##ed him off along the line tks mate ill pass you comments on to my son

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2020 at 6:00 AM, Harveyboy said:

tks mate encouragement..a lot of posts negative did you read ventinios comments i think someone pi##ed him off along the line tks mate ill pass you comments on to my son

I echo Ventinios's comments and, No, no one has p%$ed me off.

 

Most TEFL courses, especially those offered in Thailand, are not worth the paper they are printed on. I have a Tesol. Much better and can also be used anywhere in the world.

 

Try getting a job in another country with a TEFL taken in Thailand.....it won't work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I echo Ventinios's comments and, No, no one has p%$ed me off.

 

Most TEFL courses, especially those offered in Thailand, are not worth the paper they are printed on. I have a Tesol. Much better and can also be used anywhere in the world.

 

Try getting a job in another country with a TEFL taken in Thailand.....it won't work.

If you can get it notarized, it probably will work in Vietnam and a couple of other countries. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The aid jobs were workarounds, but just like everything else, it became a sales pitch for the courses, and was widely abused.  Don't expect an easy time at Immigration.  Some of the practices these schools engage in border on kidnapping. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, moontang said:

The aid jobs were workarounds, but just like everything else, it became a sales pitch for the courses, and was widely abused.  Don't expect an easy time at Immigration.  Some of the practices these schools engage in border on kidnapping. 

tks mate 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...