Thailand to see more visitors, 'signal' for reopening - tourism chief

webfact

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You would think that with the macroeconomic term of recession which generally refers to a significant decline in general economic activity, and is typically recognized as two consecutive quarters of economic decline, as reflected by GDP in conjunction with monthly indicators such as a rise in unemployment that Thailand should be in a recession, and with that being said the rate of inflation should be falling.  However, a further contraction in the last three months of 2020 should put Thailand into a technical recession. Look at it this way, the first and most direct factor so far is tourism. Depending on how you measure it, the tourism industry accounts for roughly a fifth of Thailand’s GDP.  With the unemployment and then the current export issues deflation should be increasing, however, it is not.  Capital inflows are rising, the Baht is now more than ever a safe haven currency, and to what end will that have on the economy, but to drive prices upward instead of deflating them.  I am not an economist, but right now with what is occurring the money markets seem to be hedging on the baht.  I wonder how many are actually taking short positions on the Baht and looking for a big pay day when it suddenly collapses due to external forces. Reading the attached link gives one a belief that the Baht is over valued, which even the Thai finance ministers office believes.

Investors Sour on Baht, Trim Long Bets on Most Emerging Asian Currencies: Reuters Poll | Investing News | US News

Do I take it you are trying to say we will get more baht for a pound?

You seem to be forgetting that exchange rate is a comparison. If 2 entities are deteriorating, the one that deteriorates slower is the stronger. After 8 months of covid, it is fairly obvious who is going where.

16 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

No doubt the GDP drop  /vs zero tourists is a false number to give the illusion that the economy is doing well.  Every Baht spent by a tourist becomes disposable income trickled down to a local buying food off a food cart or car sales at the dealership.  I wouldn’t be suprised if tourism wasnt 50% of total GDP 

Exactly what many foreigners prefer to think, fortunately well short of reality.

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2020 at 6:06 PM, Mavideol said:

careful with what they wish for.... infection numbers growing all around S.Korea, Japan, Europe,  USA and many others, better safe then sorry

for the sad and confused ones 555

Authorities probing why Thai woman with Covid-19 was not quarantined

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1194411-authorities-probing-why-thai-woman-with-covid-19-was-not-quarantined/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-16040524

incorrect/wrong calculations, thus misleading information, how many these 326 were in contact with, and the ones in contact with these 326  had contact with.... and keep counting as the numbers keep growing, it may be tens of thousands. There was another post advising/wishing Thailand  opening to more tourists and I wrote on that post for Thailand to be careful on what they wished for, had some sad and/or confused emojis, maybe these news will confirm my cautious advise/advice 555

On 11/28/2020 at 3:58 PM, Bkktodd said:

Think the only silly one who got burnt by a bar girl is  Per N.  Narrow minded and Bitter you think?  Many thai/southeast asian women in all walk of life exist. When 50% of marriage end in divorce in the USA....if finding love in Thailand. So be it.  

You are  comparing few thousand people to 20 000 000 visitors????