Where to buy: lead-free silver solder

ChokDee4213

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

brazing will work and is readily available.

What kind of torch do you have?

Just a simple butane one. I previously tried the copper-phosphorus brazing rod that's available in all the AC repair shops with the appropriate (and ample) flux. It worked great for smaller joints with thicker metals, but the larger joint I'm working on with thinner metals keeps peeling off. It could be my methods though, and I heard silver solder is easier to work with.

@crossy, thank you, I didn't see that forum! As I understand it, Silver solder is what it's called, but it is a misnomer as it is used at brazing temps, so uhh... take your pick, lol.

Edited by ChokDee4213

You might try Laemthong Syndicate in Bangkok, they carry a pretty wide range of Harris products and we have bought a number of welding products from them, although not silver solder stuff. We got that from the US.

I like the Harris Stay-Silv flux for silver solder, but I have only ever used it for carbide to steel, never stainless to copper.

I have not found silver soldering more forgiving than brazing. If anything overheating seems to me to be more of an issue. For thin material a smaller, hotter flame is typically better.  You might try tacking, then more tacks, and more tacks until you get it filed in. A large chunk of copper to use as a heat-sink may be helpful as well.